[comp.dcom.lans] 3COM 501 and NCSA telnet/ftp

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/05/90)

We have a couple of old 3COM 501's, and we've tried to get them to work with
NCSA telnet 2.2DS (that's the one with national character extensions -- I know
it's somewhat old, but haven't seen newer versions with this feature).  Telnet
works perfectly, but when you try to use ftp, it's atrociously slow.  Something
under 1k/s !  We've tried the NCSA internal 501 driver, the latest Clarkson
packet driver, with direct thin connection, with external tranciever, just
about every IRQ/IO/mem setting...

We'd really like to see this work, since otherwise the old cards become fish-
bait.  The same software versions have successfully been used with WD8003 and
3C503 cards.  What are we doing wrong ?

PS. Can someone tell me the situation with NCSA telnet ?  I've seen some ftp
sites which say that NCSA has requested them to *remove* it.  What's up ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (10/07/90)

In article <OTTO.90Oct5104610@tukki.jyu.fi> otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
>We have a couple of old 3COM 501's, and we've tried to get them to work with
>NCSA telnet 2.2DS (that's the one with national character extensions -- I know
>it's somewhat old, but haven't seen newer versions with this feature).  Telnet
>works perfectly, but when you try to use ftp, it's atrociously slow.  Something
>under 1k/s !  We've tried the NCSA internal 501 driver, the latest Clarkson
>packet driver, with direct thin connection, with external tranciever, just
>about every IRQ/IO/mem setting...
>
>We'd really like to see this work, since otherwise the old cards become fish-
>bait.  The same software versions have successfully been used with WD8003 and
>3C503 cards.  What are we doing wrong ?

There are a couple of parameters in the config.tel file that
you'll want to change. Read thru the file, they specifically
mention the 501 card. The parameters have something to do
with the packet size that's transmitted. I don't have the
info in front of me so I can't give you the exact details. I
remember that our sizes were something like 2k or 4k. We
changed them to 512. Our transfer rates jumped from about
.2-20kBytes/sec to consistantly above 20kbytes/sec.

>PS. Can someone tell me the situation with NCSA telnet ?  I've seen some ftp
>sites which say that NCSA has requested them to *remove* it.  What's up ?
>--

Can't help there. I haven't seen any information about this.

Dave
>   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */
> /* Mail: Kauppakatu 1 B 18, SF-40100 Jyvaskyla, Finland, EUROPE         */
>/* * * Computers Rule 01001111 01001011 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/10/90)

In article <650@tron.UUCP> kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) writes:
   There are a couple of parameters in the config.tel file that
   you'll want to change. Read thru the file, they specifically
   mention the 501 card. The parameters have something to do
   with the packet size that's transmitted. I don't have the
   info in front of me so I can't give you the exact details. I
   remember that our sizes were something like 2k or 4k. We
   changed them to 512. Our transfer rates jumped from about
   .2-20kBytes/sec to consistantly above 20kbytes/sec.

Hum, my NCSA 2.2DS config.tel doesn't say anything special about 501's.
I assume you mean the following parameters (from my current config.tel):

retrans=1                       # starting retransmit time out in ticks
                                #   1/18ths of sec MAX 100, min 1
mtu=512                         # maximum transmit unit in bytes
                                #   outgoing packet size, MAX=1500
maxseg=4096                     # largest segment we can receive
                                #   whatever the hardware can take, MAX=4096
rwin=4096                       # most bytes we can receive without ACK
                                #   =TCP window size, MAX=4096
contime=20                      # timeout in seconds to try connection
                                #   before returning error to user

I tried making maxseg and rwin smaller (since they should be hardware-
dependant), but it didn't help.

To re-iterate: I have a couple of old 3COM 501's, and am trying to get some
use out of them with NCSA Telnet/ftp 2.2DS (this is the version with national
character set support).  Telnet works well, as does the separate ftp program,
but if I do a telnet and then do a ftp back to my pc from the host, I get
truly awful performance.  Something under 1k/second.

I've tried the NCSA built-in 501 driver, the latest (well, three weeks old)
Clarkson packet driver and both internal and external trancievers.

I know the card is old and definitely not top-of-the-line in performance, but
I'd like to make them work, otherwise we'll use them for skeet practise or
something...  I also have a problem with *not* having the manuals for this,
so I'm not sure if I have some kind of a hardware problem (bus contention or
something), but I doubt it (it shouldn't work at any speed ?).

Come on, someone HAS to have made them work.  What am I doing wrong ?
--

lanmaint@nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov (Dave Yoest) (10/10/90)

>In article <OTTO.90Oct10110736@tukki.jyu.fi>, otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes...
>>In article <650@tron.UUCP> kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) writes:
>>   There are a couple of parameters in the config.tel file that
>>   you'll want to change. Read thru the file, they specifically
>>   mention the 501 card. The parameters have something to do
>>   with the packet size that's transmitted. I don't have the
>>   info in front of me so I can't give you the exact details. I
>>   remember that our sizes were something like 2k or 4k. We
>>   changed them to 512. Our transfer rates jumped from about
>>   .2-20kBytes/sec to consistantly above 20kbytes/sec.
>

> [ body Otto's post deleted ]

>Come on, someone HAS to have made them work.  What am I doing wrong ?
>--

Try this,

 direct fom the NCSA docs file.....

      The setting required for the 3com 3C501 and any other
      troublesome network situation, also the most conservative
      setting is:

      RWIN=512
      MTU=512
      MAXSEG=512

 Have you tried this?

The "clay pigeon" idea also has it's merit.....

Dave Yoest
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
LAN Section Supervisor

DYOEST@128.183.4.5

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (10/11/90)

In article <650@tron.UUCP> kerr@tron.bwi.wec.com (Dave Kerr) writes:
>>PS. Can someone tell me the situation with NCSA telnet ?  I've seen some ftp
>>sites which say that NCSA has requested them to *remove* it.  What's up ?
I think this is because, since you have gotten it, NCSA no longer supports it.
NCSA Telnet/Ftp is now called CUTCP, which I thing is being handled at
Clarkson University (CU).  I don't know why, but I do know that it has
changed hands.  The machine you can get the latest version is in the
clarkson.edu domain, try omnigate.  If not send a mail message to
bkc@omnigate.clarkson.edu.  He maintains CUTCP.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 |                           | bill@polygen.com            |