[comp.dcom.lans] Print server

ziel@spot.Colorado.EDU (ZIEL FRED ADAM) (06/22/88)

The architecture we are trying to test is more ideally implemented with
independently adressable network devices, so I'm looking for a (hopefully
cost effective) way of putting our printers on our ethernet network instead
of hanging them off of a server.  It sounds like we need some of the
functionality of a cisco terminal server, but that looks to be a bit of
overkill.  Something similar was described in Comp.newprod from Excelan
a few weeks ago.  We would also like some method of having the tape drive
be an independent device, but I think that is less important at the moment.

I would appreciate any info (esp. pricing) on the minimum cisco or Excelan
systems.  I would also appreciate any suggested alternatives or problems
with what we're trying to do.  If I get enough (any :-) replies, I will
post a summary.  Thanks.

Fred Ziel, Colorado Center for Astrodynamics Reserach, CU-Boulder
uucp:   ..!{nbires,ames!ncar}!boulder!ziel  domain: ziel@spot.colorado.edu
disclaimer.h (line 10): syntax error.

percy@amdcad.AMD.COM (Percy Irani) (06/24/88)

We have used the Imagen printer with their Ethernet server.
Works well for Unix and VMS hosts. You do have to install the Imagen
software on all nodes you want to print from.

Hope that helps. Imagen can be reached at (408) 986-9400.

I speak for myself and not the Company. All opinions expressed are
my own.
--
Ignorance is bliss but can be embarassing at times!

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (06/25/88)

In article <22198@amdcad.AMD.COM> percy@amdcad.UUCP (Percy Irani) writes:

>We have used the Imagen printer with their Ethernet server.
>Works well for Unix and VMS hosts.

I disagree, I don't even use it because the default type size is not
pica and you have to waste time screwing around with troff or such to
get things to look normal.

I complained about this to Percy and was ignored.
--

I speak for myself, not the company.
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

hjp@bambam.UUCP (Howard J. Postley) (06/27/88)

In article <22208@amdcad.AMD.COM>, phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
> In article <22198@amdcad.AMD.COM> percy@amdcad.UUCP (Percy Irani) writes:
> >
> >We have used the Imagen printer with their Ethernet server.
> >Works well for Unix and VMS hosts.
>
> I disagree, I don't even use it because the default type size is not
> pica and you have to waste time screwing around with troff or such to
> get things to look normal.
>
> I complained about this to Percy and was ignored.

I don't know how you guys at AMD set your printer up but on ours
the font is controlled by the "of" filter in /etc/printcap and
the default font is settable in an environment variable.  Admittedly,
the default default font (failing setting the var to change it) is
not Courier.  Bummer |-).

// Howard
--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733

--
Howard Postley      usenet:  uunet!bambam!hjp
On Word             phone:   +1 213 399 7733
                    snail:   2434 Main St; Santa Monica, CA  90405

jma@lgc.com ( John Amason) (10/13/90)

I am not sure if this is the most appropriate newsgroup to post to but
I am interested in obtaining information on print server systems for
UNIX.

At INTEROP there was a BOF on UniPrint that I was unable to attend. Does anyone know how to obtain more info on this printing system? It was developed at the University of Berne, Switzerland.

thanks,

john
jamason@lgc.com