[comp.dcom.lans] Fire codes & cabling

joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) (09/28/90)

I'm tired of digging for this information.  This may not be the best forum for
my question, but here goes.

Where can you find the safety specs pertaining to cable type & insulation (i.e.
teflon vs. PVC) and applications of each?  I've been told that teflon "is
required in any situation where the cable passes through a supporting or fire
abating wall or floor" but can't find the source for the specs.  Does anyone
know what the specs are, what book/publication they're in, and how I can get
a copy?

Thanks in advance.  Please post directly to me and I'll summarize to the net if
there's interest.

Dick Joltes					joltes@husc9.harvard.edu
Mgr. of Hardware & Facilities
Harvard University Science Center

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (09/28/90)

In article <4277@husc6.harvard.edu>
 joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) writes:

>Where can you find the safety specs pertaining to cable type & insulation (i.e.
>teflon vs. PVC) and applications of each?  I've been told that teflon "is
>required in any situation where the cable passes through a supporting or fire
>abating wall or floor" but can't find the source for the specs.  Does anyone
>know what the specs are, what book/publication they're in, and how I can get
>a copy?

	So called "low voltage" data cable is included in NFPA fire
codes along with electrical wiring and both are covered in the NEC.

	The fire code regulations are determined by each individual
state and municipality.  Even though I can throw a rock thru your
window (figuratively speaking) the fire code over here in Boston bears
no necessary relationship to the code in Cambridge.

	But most state and local codes are based on the National
Electrical Code (NEC) and the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA)
has input to that.

	I once spent several days trying to track down all the
references to low voltage cable in the Mass code (1987) and gave up.
It is literally impossible to track all the references and most
references are vague and unclear.

	There are new regulations since then that have been
promulgated by the NFPA, but I don't think they are yet in the NEC or
any state codes.

	At any rate, the final arbiter is the inspector, so you need a
knowledgeable general contractor who can assure you that what he plans
is to spec for your situation and even then you can't be sure.

	Given all that, in general, if cable is in space that is not
defined to be environmental air space, it can be PVC.  If it is
environmental air space, it must be fire rated and that means teflon.
An example of environmental airspace is room space.  Another example
is air plenum, like an above ceiling space used for wiring and
ventilation.  An exception has been made in the Boston code for plenum
space that is wired with smoke detectors that shut down fans when
smoke is detected.  With the smoke detector, PVC is allowed in above
ceiling space in Boston.  Skyscrapers may be subject to other
regulation.

	I disclaim all responsibility for the above interpretations.
I am not qualified to render more than opinion on the above.  Seek the
guidance of qualified contractors and inspectors before installing
wire.  Don't try this at home.

	--Kent

knight@mortal.enet.dec.com (Paul Knight) (09/28/90)

In article <65129@bu.edu.bu.edu>, kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:

|> In article <4277@husc6.harvard.edu>
|>  joltes@husc9.harvard.edu (Richard Joltes) writes:
|> >
|> >Where can you find the safety specs pertaining to cable type & insulation
(i.e.
|> >teflon vs. PVC) and applications of each?
|> >
|> 	So called "low voltage" data cable is included in NFPA fire
|> codes along with electrical wiring and both are covered in the NEC.
|>
|> 	But most state and local codes are based on the National
|> Electrical Code (NEC) and the National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA)
|> has input to that.

Okay so far...
The NEC can be ordered from:
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
1 Batterymarch Park
Quincy, MA 02269
1-800-344-3555

I believe there are several volumes, so you'll probably want to check
with the NFPA to determine which ones you need..

Perhaps a better source for your purposes is the "BICSI Telecommunications
Distribution Methods Manual" from the Building Industry Consulting Service,
International (BICSI).  The 1989-1990 price is $72 for members and $179 (gulp)
for non-members.  Order from:
TESTMARK Laboratories
Publications Department
3050 Harrodsburg Road
Lexington, KY 40503
(606) 223-3061
(my source says to make checks payable to "GTE Supply Inc."

|> 	Given all that, in general, if cable is in space that is not
|> defined to be environmental air space, it can be PVC.  If it is
|> environmental air space, it must be fire rated and that means teflon.

okay... except that PVC and Teflon(tm) are not the only types..

|> An example of environmental airspace is room space.

No No No!  You can use PVC in offices, rooms, etc.   There has been some
discussion of not allowing it for computer rooms, however.  I'm not sure
of the status in computer rooms now.

|> Another example
|> is air plenum, like an above ceiling space used for wiring and
|> ventilation.

If you have a suspended ceiling with air grills (for return air) which open into
the space above the ceiling (plenum), then the entire plenum is environmental
airspace classified as "other".  You have to use plenum-rated wiring here.
(This must be marked CL2P - this is often Teflon(tm), but other formulations
are
available.)

If you have a suspended ceiling with BOTH supply and return air ducts, then
the space not in the ducts is non-environmental airspace.  You MAY be able
to use general building wiring (CL2 - often PVC) in this space, but many local
codes vary.

In NO CASE can you run cables through air ducts.

Your best rule of thumb is to use CL2P for any behind-the-wall or
over-the-ceiling wiring.

|> I disclaim all responsibility for the above interpretations.  Seek the
|> guidance of qualified contractors and inspectors before installing
|> wire.
|>
|> 	--Kent

Me too.  -  Paul Knight  - DEC Networks and Site Services

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep28.093731@mortal.enet.dec.com>
 knight@mortal.enet.dec.com (Paul Knight) writes:

> [I said:]
>|> An example of environmental airspace is room space.
>
>No No No!  You can use PVC in offices, rooms, etc.   There has been some
>discussion of not allowing it for computer rooms, however.  I'm not sure
>of the status in computer rooms now.

	Environmental airspace is space where people work and breathe.
This refers to offices, labs, and hallways.  If you have open ceiling
labs with exposed cabling or open ceiling hallways with cable trays,
then your cables are in environmental airspace and are subject to low
smoke emission restrictions.  This applies in "room space" by any
interpretation of the term.

	It is true that cables that attach devices to the building
cabling system are not included in current codes.  This may change.  I
know that furniture is included in some fire codes, but, of course,
not in the electrical part of the spec.

	Computer rooms are very dangerous places to be in a fire.
Cables are usually not fire rated, and they are usually installed in
"plenum space" where ventilation would force toxic smoke out from
under the floor and into space where people breathe.  I expect
computer rooms to come under low smoke regulation at some future time.

>In NO CASE can you run cables through air ducts.

	Did I say that?  It is something you need to watch your
contractors for.

>Your best rule of thumb is to use CL2P for any behind-the-wall or
>over-the-ceiling wiring.

	Except that someone may challenge that assumption and you
might save a lot of money doing it in other ways without losing fire
safety.

	I did not mention conduit.  Conduit, while expensive, is
useful in many situations.  For example, if you are using trunk
cabling that does not need to meet spec in exterior ducts, you can
bring it in from the street into your riser system in steel conduit,
providing good physical protection and compliance with fire codes.

	Another thing I did not mention is firestop integrity.  When
installing cable (low smoke or otherwise), you must be sure to
maintain the integrity of the firestops and firewalls designed into
your building.  We design our network closets with all four walls as
firestops, with double drywall from structural floor to structural
ceiling.  The entire riser system is one fat fire rated conduit.  We
don't need low-smoke compliance in our risers, but we do need to
maintain the firestops and that means capping all unused sleeves that
penetrate firewalls, and filling all used sleeves with a suitable
firestop material.

	This is especially important during retrofits.  You must not
punch big holes in firewalls- you should install sleeves with tight
seals around the outer perimeter and either caps or firestop in the
sleeves.  Especially important is firestopping vertical sleeves in
your riser.  Don't use slots.  They are easy to pull cable thru but
hard to firestop.

	In general, remember what the fire code designers are trying
to do:

	First, inhibit the spread of fire.

	Second, ensure a safe period during which people can safely
evacuate a burning building without injury or poisoning.

	Firestops help retard the spread of a fire.  Low smoke cabling
ensures that during the period before flashover (when anyone left in
the area would die anyway), people can escape without being burned or
poisoned by inhaling toxic emissions from burning cabling that is in
their environmental airspace.  You do not want to find yourself in the
position of contributing to the unnecessary deaths of people from
toxic fumes.

	And another thing: in retrofits, make sure that your
contractors don't block fire exits while working or leave ceiling
tiles misplaced during off hours.  These sorts of mistakes also
contribute to dangerous conditions during fires by disrupting airflows
and blocking egress.  It sometimes seems to me that every contractor
thinks that stairwells are the best places to store materials and
prepare construction materials.  Don't let them do it.  Far better to
disrupt the office space than to block the exits.  Again, you don't
want to find yourself responsible for unnecessary deaths or injury.

	I wish I could give you the cookbook on fire safety, but with
some practice and experience you should find a simple set of standard
procedures that will do the job.  Just remember that the fire rating
of the cable is but one part of fire safety as it related to low
voltage building cable distribution systems.

	I guess that is enough.  Who wants this soapbox next?  :-)

	--Kent

imp@jhereg.osa.com (Charles T. Lukaszewski) (10/09/90)

As a company that installs networks for a living, we couldn't agree with Kent
more on this issue.  It is critical that anyone putting in cabling for the
first time or as a retrofit understand the issues involved, and Kent has
summarized pretty well.

I'd like to add one other thought to the discussion.  In many localities,
older structures are accorded a certain amount of "immunity" from present
fire codes.  As has been pointed out, ultimate authority rests with your
local fire marshall - if you aren't sure about something, check it out.
However, in one particular heavy manufacturing environment that we work in,
a large (over 4,000,000 square feet) plant is substantially exempt from such
codes.  Nevertheless, the dangers posed by fire are the same, and we have
opted to install all twisted pair, fiber and coax according to Code.

At OSA we see the exemption issue a lot.  It is usually a judgment call you
have to make based on the site and the dangers involved if fire were to
break out.  However, I would urge everyone to err on the side of caution,
which frequently is not the cheapest option.

Charles T. Lukaszewski            imp@osa.com                      612 525-0000
Managing Partner & Chairman                       Open Systems Architects, Inc.
 "Who needs a disclaimer? I liked the opinions so much, I bought the company!"

gary@dgcad.sv.dg.com (Gary Bridgewater) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct8.215428.4192@jhereg.osa.com> imp@jhereg.osa.com (Charles T. Lukaszewski) writes:
>At OSA we see the exemption issue a lot.  It is usually a judgment call you
>have to make based on the site and the dangers involved if fire were to
>break out.  However, I would urge everyone to err on the side of caution,
>which frequently is not the cheapest option.

For giant buildings this may be an issue but for the more common case of
a small or medium size site I wouldn't be too sure.  High grade, high
quality cable can be cheaper over time since it will have less tendency to
kink or abrade and/or be less affected by such problems.  Also, if you
move or reconfigure then you never have to worry or replace the cable if
it goes from non-plenum to plenum or even exposed in floor runs.  We
recovered cable that had been run over the roof in a pipe and left for
two years.  It took a cable pulling engine to string and to remove and
when it came out it looked and acted new.  We could have bought cheaper
cable -  both times - and 'saved' money twice instead of being profligate
once and getting two runs for the price of 1.4 or so.
--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary