[comp.dcom.lans] Intel 82583 Ethernet chip

jcsmirnios@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (John C. Smirnios) (10/12/90)

    I need some information on Intel's 82583 Ethernet LAN chip (used
on 3COM 505, 507 and 523/MC cards).  I have the data sheets on it from
the 1988 Microcommunications Handbook, but they aren't complete.  In
particular, the data I have does not describe the structure of the
Initialization Root.  Other than that it seems quite complete.

    Does anyone out there know the structure of the root?  It might help
me to know where you got it, too.

    10-Q in advance.

                                 Ron Harding (using John's account.)

In article <1990Oct12.153422.20325@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jcsmirnios@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (John C. Smirnios) writes:

       I need some information on Intel's 82583 Ethernet LAN chip (used
   on 3COM 505, 507 and 523/MC cards).

Those Ethernet cards use the 82586.

   I have the data sheets on it from the 1988 Microcommunications
   Handbook, but they aren't complete.  In particular, the data I have
   does not describe the structure of the Initialization Root.  Other
   than that it seems quite complete.

What's an Initialization Root?  I've got Intel's "LAN Component User's Manual",
which thoroughly documents the 82586, and I see no reference to any
initialization root.

       Does anyone out there know the structure of the root?  It might help
   me to know where you got it, too.

The document I'm looking at is order number 230814-002.  Also be aware that
the 82586 has bugs ("errata"), and if you don't program with a bug list in
hand, your software will eventually be run on a machine that has the bugs,
and boom!.  The current revision of the chip is the D step, so when you
get the documentation, insist on a D step errata sheet.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

pan@interlan.Interlan.COM (Joanna Pan) (10/15/90)

>In article <1990Oct12.153422.20325@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jcsmirnios@spurge.uwaterloo.ca (John C. Smirnios) writes:
>

>What's an Initialization Root?  I've got Intel's "LAN Component User's Manual",
>which thoroughly documents the 82586, and I see no reference to any
>initialization root.

The initialization root is described under Section 6.0 of Chapter 2 in "LAN
Component User's Manual". If you have a 1988 edition, it starts from pp.2-13.

Joanna Pan

In article <NELSON.90Oct12220326@image.clarkson.edu> nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

   What's an Initialization Root?  I've got Intel's "LAN Component
   User's Manual", which thoroughly documents the 82586, and I see no
   reference to any initialization root.

Yeah, right.  It's your eyes that go first.  I happened to glance at the
caption for a figure I must have stared at a hundred times, and guess
what it said?  Yup, "Initialization Root".  Sorry for any confusion...