[comp.dcom.lans] SNMP monitor infor wanted

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (10/13/90)

It's about time for us to get serious about SNMP.  Now that most of the
network devices we purchase support SNMP, we could use a good monitor package.
Can anyone out there relate real-world stories with products such as the
cisco NetWatch, HLS 9100 etc.?  I've seen both of those in action (briefly)
and the cisco seemed to have obviously greater functionality, but $20k is
a little spendy.  What's available in the public domain?  What is everybody
out there actually using?

Thanks in advance  -- Walt Haas     haas@ski.utah.edu

snyder@dustbin.cisco.com (Robert Snyder) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct12.142523.12713@hellgate.utah.edu>,
haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
> It's about time for us to get serious about SNMP.  Now that most of the
> network devices we purchase support SNMP, we could use a good monitor
package.
> Can anyone out there relate real-world stories with products such as the
> cisco NetWatch, HLS 9100 etc.?  I've seen both of those in action (briefly)
> and the cisco seemed to have obviously greater functionality, but $20k is
> a little spendy.  What's available in the public domain?  What is everybody
> out there actually using?
>
> Thanks in advance  -- Walt Haas     haas@ski.utah.edu

Curious how did you derive the $20k figure?  It is my understanding that
we sell the software for $15k with discounts to educational institutions.
Were you including platform costs?  Or were you not refering to ciscos
netcentral product, since we dont make a "NetWatch" that I could find.

Disclaimer: Nobody claims dis, but me.
USMAIL:     cisco Systems 1525 O'brien Dr. Menlo Park, CA 94025
INTERNET:   snyder@dustbin.cisco.COM        Phone: 415-688-7869
Amusing Quote: "I hope God grades on a curve"

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct12.142523.12713@hellgate.utah.edu>,
haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
> It's about time for us to get serious about SNMP.  Now that most of the
> network devices we purchase support SNMP, we could use a good monitor package.
> Can anyone out there relate real-world stories with products such as the
> cisco NetWatch, HLS 9100 etc.?  I've seen both of those in action (briefly)
> and the cisco seemed to have obviously greater functionality, but $20k is
> a little spendy.  What's available in the public domain?  What is everybody
> out there actually using?
>
> Thanks in advance  -- Walt Haas     haas@ski.utah.edu

Well there are a bunch of managment stations on the market now days.  I have
not heard of any PD ones though.  If low price is what you are looking for
take a look at WatchTower (from InterCon) it is a very low cost SNMP managment
station that runs on the Macintosh. It costs about 25% of most of the other
managment stations.  Drop me a line for more information.

If anyone has any info on PD stations please let me know.  Also, has anyone
put together a list of stations?

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (10/16/90)

In article <21681@hercules.csl.sri.com> snyder@dustbin.cisco.com (Robert Snyder) writes:
>In article <1990Oct12.142523.12713@hellgate.utah.edu>,
>haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) writes:
>> Can anyone out there relate real-world stories with products such as the
>> cisco NetWatch, HLS 9100 etc.?  I've seen both of those in action (briefly)
>> and the cisco seemed to have obviously greater functionality, but $20k is
>> a little spendy.>
>Curious how did you derive the $20k figure?  It is my understanding that
>we sell the software for $15k with discounts to educational institutions.
>Were you including platform costs?  Or were you not refering to ciscos
>netcentral product, since we dont make a "NetWatch" that I could find.

Sorry, my brain is dropping bits in my old age.  I did indeed mean your
NetCentral product and spaced the pricetag.

-- Walt