[comp.dcom.lans] 3com ethernetcard + SCO TCP/IP

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) (10/14/90)

I have some problems with a 3COM 503 Ethernet card. It only
seems to work with SCO UNIX 3.2.0 TCP/IP (Lachmann) when I
use the default IRQ vector of 2. When I try to set the IRQ
to 5 it doesn't work (e.g. when I install the Unix e3B driver).
Should I use some additional (MS-DOS??) setup software?
(there is no interrupt conflict!)

--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (10/16/90)

In article <7947@star.cs.vu.nl> vdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) writes:

>I have some problems with a 3COM 503 Ethernet card. It only
>seems to work with SCO UNIX 3.2.0 TCP/IP (Lachmann) when I
>use the default IRQ vector of 2. When I try to set the IRQ
>to 5 it doesn't work (e.g. when I install the Unix e3B driver).
>Should I use some additional (MS-DOS??) setup software?
>(there is no interrupt conflict!)

Ron,

	By setting the IRQ5 you've conflicted with the floppy controller.
Each machine can use IRQs differently, but the industry's practice has
been:
	IRQ1 - timer
	IRQ2 - Whatever, according to the manufacturer
	IRQ3 - COM2
	IRQ4 - COM1
	IRQ5 - Floppy
	IRQ6 - LPT2
	IRQ7 - LPT1
	IRQ9-13 - Whatever, according to the manufacturer
	IRQ14 - HD Controller
	IRQ15 - Again, whatever.

You can make it easy for yourself by picking the "well known" interrupts
or you can buy programs, such as Checkit, to find out if an IRQ is in use.
If it's up to me, I'll use one of the well known ones even if it means
that I have to remove one of the ports.

shimizu@jitgmn.enet.dec.com (Hidetoshi Shimizu) (10/16/90)

In article <7947@star.cs.vu.nl> rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) writes:

> From: rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol)
> Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386,comp.dcom.lans,comp.protocols.tcp-ip
> Date: 13 Oct 90 22:07:52 GMT
> Sender: news@cs.vu.nl
>

> I have some problems with a 3COM 503 Ethernet card. It only
> seems to work with SCO UNIX 3.2.0 TCP/IP (Lachmann) when I
> use the default IRQ vector of 2. When I try to set the IRQ
> to 5 it doesn't work (e.g. when I install the Unix e3B driver).
> Should I use some additional (MS-DOS??) setup software?
> (there is no interrupt conflict!)
>
> --
>		 Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

You should use a EtherLink-II Diagnostic Software under the MS-DOS and setup
Interrupt vector .
--
Hidetoshi Shimizu       Digital Equipment Corporation Japan
Financial-2 EIC         Urbannet Ikebukuro bldg 3-16-3 Higashi Ikebukuro

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (10/16/90)

In article <27886@bellcore.bellcore.com> louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul
Louie) writes:
	   By setting the IRQ5 you've conflicted with the floppy controller.
   Each machine can use IRQs differently, but the industry's practice has
   been:
	   IRQ1 - timer
	   IRQ2 - Whatever, according to the manufacturer
	   IRQ3 - COM2
	   IRQ4 - COM1
	   IRQ5 - Floppy
	   IRQ6 - LPT2
	   IRQ7 - LPT1
	   IRQ9-13 - Whatever, according to the manufacturer
	   IRQ14 - HD Controller
	   IRQ15 - Again, whatever.

The list above is INCORRECT for a standard PC/AT, here are the correct values:
	IRQ0	Timer interrupt (18.2 times a second)
	IRQ1	Keyboard
	IRQ2	EGA vertical retrace - rerouted to IRQ9 on AT machines
	IRQ3	COM2
	IRQ4	COM1
	IRQ5	LPT2
	IRQ6	Floppy
	IRQ7	LPT1

Note that IRQ2 from the bus is routed to IRQ9 on AT machines, but on MS-DOS
you normally don't see it since IRQ9 calls the IRQ2 handler.  On Unix, you do
see a difference :-)
Unless you have EGA, you needn't worry about this being used.

You can see from the above that EISA is a good idea with it's interrupt
sharing.  Often one *has* to use 16-bit cards just for the extra IRQs
available.

As you can see, IRQ5 is about the only one available within the 8-bit interrupt
limits that normally isn't used (most machines nowadays come with two COM ports
and one LPT, but I've yet to see machines with two LPTs on the motherboard).
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (CCITT, Bell 24/12/300) */

drich@dialogic.com (Dan Rich) (10/16/90)

In article <27886@bellcore.bellcore.com> louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes:
>	By setting the IRQ5 you've conflicted with the floppy controller.
>Each machine can use IRQs differently, but the industry's practice has
>been:

Close, but no cigar.  You have IRQ5 and 6 reversed.  As I understand
it (not that I am always right :-) the list should read
	IRQ1 - timer
	IRQ2 - cascade for 9-15 (to use under Unix, configure as 9)
	IRQ3 - COM2
	IRQ4 - COM1
	IRQ5 - LPT2
	IRQ6 - Floppy
	IRQ7 - LPT1
	IRQ9-13 - Whatever, according to the manufacturer
	IRQ14 - HD Controller
	IRQ15 - Again, whatever.

Typically IRQ5 is free, unless you are configured for 2 printers.  The
IRQs I install things at, in order of use, are typically:
5, 3, 7, 4, 2 	(although I usually try to avoid 2 due to the cascade,
		 and the fact that I tend to forget to install the
		 driver(s) at IRQ9).

--
Dan Rich                    | drich@dialogic.com  || ...!uunet!dialogic!drich
UNIX Systems Administrator  | "Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"