[comp.dcom.lans] Cost-effective method of connecting PC's to existing TCP/IP LAN

jalsop@seachg.uucp (John Alsop) (10/17/90)

We have a client with a small existing thin-net TCP/IP network.  He wishes
to connect some existing PC's in another part of the company to this
network.

The PC's (up to 20 of them) are scattered in individual offices, so there
is a strong preference for a solution using twisted pair wiring.

I see the components required as being:

	- a twisted-pair compatible ethernet card for each PC
	- a TCP/IP software package for each PC, capable of telnet/ftp,
	  and ideally rlogin/rcp to a unix host
	- a multi-port twisted-pair to thin-net converter

My question is: what is the most cost-effective combination of components
to achieve the above.

Comments from people who have done something like this would be greatly
appreciated, as would input from various vendors. I will be glad to post a
summary of replies received.

Thanks in advance,

--
John Alsop

Sea Change Corporation
6695 Millcreek Drive, Unit 8
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5N 5R8
....!uunet!attcan!seachg!jalsop

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.212015.11791@seachg.uucp> jalsop@seachg.UUCP (John Alsop) writes:
>We have a client with a small existing thin-net TCP/IP network.  He wishes
>to connect some existing PC's in another part of the company to this
>network.
>
>The PC's (up to 20 of them) are scattered in individual offices, so there
>is a strong preference for a solution using twisted pair wiring.

We do exactly this with the Western Digital 10BASE-T card and the Hughes
LAN Systems multi-protocol stack.  It supports all the usual TCP/IP
protocols and LAT and Novell too.  For a 10BASE-T hub we have been buying
the AT&T Starlan-10 product but anything that conforms to the standard
should work.  We interface to thinnet by hanging a thinnet transceiver off
the AUI plug of the Starlan hub.

-- Walt Haas    haas@ski.utah.edu

brianr@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Brian Ripley) (10/21/90)

HP's 10-Base-T offering, EtherTwist, includes a 12 port hub that has
a builtin thin net port in addition to an AUI port.  This will save
you the cost of a MAU.  If the PC's you are connecting already have
LAN cards with an AUI port you should consider using 10-Base-T MAUs
to connect them to the twisted-pair.

In article <1990Oct16.212015.11791@seachg.uucp> jalsop@seachg.uucp (John Alsop) writes:

   I see the components required as being:

   	- a twisted-pair compatible ethernet card for each PC

I can't speak to cost-effectiveness, but I know that at least AT&T,
HP, Cabletron, D-Link, 3Com, and Racal Interlan have 10Base-T Ethernet
cards.  There are certainly others, but I cannot recall them at the
moment.

   	- a TCP/IP software package for each PC, capable of telnet/ftp,
   	  and ideally rlogin/rcp to a unix host

I recommend CUTCP and the Clarkson packet drivers, available by FTP
and by mail from archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu:pub/cutcp
and pub/packet-drivers.

   	- a multi-port twisted-pair to thin-net converter

I don't know much about these.  I know that AT&T has a single port TP
to TN converter, and that HP has a TP hub with AUI and TN connectors.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson