[comp.dcom.lans] Comparing 10base-T concentrators

arnold@synopsys.synopsys.com (Arnold de Leon) (10/01/90)

	I'm currently comparing three 10base-T concentrators,
Synoptics, Cabletron or Optical Data Systems (ODS) 10baseT.
I would appreciate hearing from users of any any of the
above.  Are you using SNMP to manage the concentrators?
If so, are you satisfied with agent implemtation?
Will you buy it again?

	I'm also interested in feedback from those have used
other equipment from any of the three companies.  Are you
satifised with the support?  Reliability?

	Thanks in advance.

--
Arnold de Leon  			arnold@synopsys.com
Synopsys Inc.				(415) 962-5051

jiii@sapphire.idbsu.edu (John Van Deusen - guest student) (10/04/90)

In article <585@synopsys.COM> arnold@synopsys.synopsys.com (Arnold de Leon)
writes:
>	I'm currently comparing three 10base-T concentrators,
> I would appreciate hearing from users ...

Be sure to check out the "Lan Strategies" issue of DATA COMMUNICATIONS,
Sept 21, 1990, page 15, "Ethernet Arrives on Twisted Pair".
--
jiii

VaxHeadroom@cup.portal.com (Joe William Walko) (10/10/90)

Just today we received a Hewlett Packard Ethertwist Hub Plus, which
provides 12 twisted-pair links, plus 1 AUI connector, plus 1 ThinNet
connector.  So far I'm fairly pleased with the product.  It went in
without a hitch.  This hub includes a serial RS232 port which provides
basic statistics on each of the 14 links.  This HP hub appears to
be superior to the Networth Ethernext hubs we've used previously.
If you get the 'plus' version, which we did, then you can monitor
and control it remotely using HP's OPenview Hub Manager software,
which runs on
MS Windows.

The HP hub is completely self-contained, and requires no additional
chassis, power supply, etc.  Street price for the 'plus' version is
about $1600, the non-plus version is a couple hundred less.

mdv@comtst.UUCP (Mike Verstegen) (10/22/90)

writes:
>	I'm currently comparing three 10base-T concentrators,
> I would appreciate hearing from users ...

Take a look at Network World, October 8, 1990 Pages 1, 41-62. It's full of
tables of many vendors concentrators as well as interface cards and thick/
thin Ethernet to 10BaseT adaptors.

If nothing else, it's a good source of names and phone number to get in
contact with vendors

Mike
--
Mike Verstegen          Domain Systems, Inc           Voice +1 407 686-7911
..!uunet!comtst!mdv     5840 Corporate Way #100       Fax   +1 407 478-2542