[comp.dcom.lans] SCO TCP/IP <-> Novell Netware/386

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (10/12/90)

We have a Novell Ethernet with about 10 systems on it, and a SCO
TCP/IP Ethernet with 2 systems on it (but probably expanding in the
near future).  We'd like to link the TCP/IP and Novell networks so
users on the SCO ODT machines can access the Novell server's drives,
and users on the Novell workstations can send mail to the ODT
machines, as well as access the ODT drives through NFS and possibly
telnet/rlogin/ftp/etc. to the ODT machines.  Some questions:

1. Is it okay to put the TCP/IP and Novell networks on the same
Ethernet cable?  I know Ethernet packets is Ethernet packets, but will
Novell and/or ODT just ignore packets it doesn't understand?

2. If it's okay to do (1), then I suppose we could just use something
like PC-NFS plus NCSA Telnet on the PC's, right?

3. Again, if it's okay to do (1), are there versions of IPX and NETx
for SCO Unix?

4. If it isn't okay to do (1), then is there a program for MS-DOS that
we could use to connect the two?  I'd prefer to not have to buy a
separate network bridge or router, especially considering that we're a
computer reseller and thus have lots of spare PC's lying around.

Sorry if these are absurdly simple questions or have been recently
discussed, but as you've probably already figured out, I'm a novice
network administrator...

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

In article <gu6wq4w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

   1. Is it okay to put the TCP/IP and Novell networks on the same
   Ethernet cable?  I know Ethernet packets is Ethernet packets, but will
   Novell and/or ODT just ignore packets it doesn't understand?

Yes, that's the whole point of Ethernet type codes.

   2. If it's okay to do (1), then I suppose we could just use something
   like PC-NFS plus NCSA Telnet on the PC's, right?

Sort of.  If you want both Novell and TCP/IP on the same machine, then
basically the only solution is to use the packet drivers (see below for
availability).

   3. Again, if it's okay to do (1), are there versions of IPX and NETx
   for SCO Unix?

I don't know, but I think Novell has something like that...

   4. If it isn't okay to do (1), then is there a program for MS-DOS that
   we could use to connect the two?  I'd prefer to not have to buy a
   separate network bridge or router, especially considering that we're a
   computer reseller and thus have lots of spare PC's lying around.

Even though it's okay to do (1), yes, there is a program for MS-DOS
that you could use, called PC-BRIDGE, and PC-ROUTE respectively.  See
the "support.txt" file in the packet driver distribution for availability.

		The Clarkson packet driver collection

Availability

The Clarkson collection of packet drivers is available by FTP, by
archive-server, and by modem.  They come in two flavors -- executables
only (drivers.arc), and source+executables (driverss.arc).  All of the
following instructions apply to both drivers.arc and driverss.arc.

Mail:

I distribute the packet drivers on a 1.2 MB 5.25" disk, or a 720K 3.5"
disk.  You can send me a check for $20, or you can send me a purchse
order and I will bill you for $22.  NY residents add 7% sales tax,
overseas orders add $3 for shipping.  If you send a check, please be
sure it is in US dollars -- the bank charges me $15 to convert checks
drawn in foreign currencies.

	Russell Nelson
	11 Grant St.
	Potsdam, NY 13676

FTP:

sun.soe.clarkson.edu:/pub/ka9q/drivers.arc
grape.ecs.clarkson.edu:/e/tcpip/drivers.arc

Archive-server:

Send mail to archive-server@sun.soe.clarkson.edu and put the following
command as the body of your message:
	help
This will send you a help message.  Reading this help message will tell
you how to fetch the packet drivers.

Modem:

Call the Clarkson Heath User's Group's BBS: (315)268-6667, 8N1,
1200/2400 Baud, 24 hours.  Change to file area 24 and download drivers.arc.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

phil@shl.uucp (Phil Trubey) (10/13/90)

In article <gu6wq4w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> you write:
>1. Is it okay to put the TCP/IP and Novell networks on the same
>Ethernet cable?  I know Ethernet packets is Ethernet packets, but will
>Novell and/or ODT just ignore packets it doesn't understand?

Yes.

>2. If it's okay to do (1), then I suppose we could just use something
>like PC-NFS plus NCSA Telnet on the PC's, right?

It is usually very difficult to run multiple protocol stacks in a single
PC with Novell.  Novell has believe it or not *designed* their drivers
so that they will be gauranteed not to work with any other resident protocol
stack in the same PC.  Presumably they do this so that they don't have
to be worried about  bizarre interoperability problems between their stack
and anyone else's - if you can't do it, you can't find bugs in it.

However, various more practical people have thought this restriction somewhat
silly and hacked the Novell driver to allow it to work with other
resident stacks.  Most notibly there is a version of the Novell driver out
there that will work with NCSA Telnet or FTP Software's PC-TCP Plus (which
is FTP Software's version of NFS for PCs).  I don't know if Sun's PC-NFS
will work with this hacked Novell driver or if there is another Novell
driver out there that works with it.

I know that FTP will send you a copy of the modified Novell driver with
their software if you ask for it.  You probably can get it electronically
somewhere too, but I don;t know where.

>3. Again, if it's okay to do (1), are there versions of IPX and NETx
>for SCO Unix?

Not that I know of.

--
Phil Trubey
(UUCP: ...!uunet!shl!phil)

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (10/15/90)

In article <gu6wq4w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>, mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:
> We have a Novell Ethernet with about 10 systems on it, and a SCO
> TCP/IP Ethernet with 2 systems on it (but probably expanding in the
> near future).  We'd like to link the TCP/IP and Novell networks so
> users on the SCO ODT machines can access the Novell server's drives,
> and users on the Novell workstations can send mail to the ODT
> machines, as well as access the ODT drives through NFS and possibly
> telnet/rlogin/ftp/etc. to the ODT machines.  Some questions:
>
> 1. Is it okay to put the TCP/IP and Novell networks on the same
> Ethernet cable?  I know Ethernet packets is Ethernet packets, but will
> Novell and/or ODT just ignore packets it doesn't understand?

 Yep! We have Novell, TCP/IP, Appletalk, LAT, Decnet and maybe more on ours.

> 2. If it's okay to do (1), then I suppose we could just use something
> like PC-NFS plus NCSA Telnet on the PC's, right?

 Ahhhh... Firstly, Novell and TCP/IP (or NFS) are completely different.
Although you can use both at the same time, we have had problems here, where
NOvell wanted lots of virtual drives and PC-NFS wouldn't give them away (It
only needed 2).

> 3. Again, if it's okay to do (1), are there versions of IPX and NETx
> for SCO Unix?

 Not that I've ever heard of IPX NETx doing TCP/IP

> 4. If it isn't okay to do (1), then is there a program for MS-DOS that
> we could use to connect the two?  I'd prefer to not have to buy a
> separate network bridge or router, especially considering that we're a
> computer reseller and thus have lots of spare PC's lying around.

 Haven't head of one. Maybe now that the accounting print server is working I
could do with something else to do? :)

> Sorry if these are absurdly simple questions or have been recently
> discussed, but as you've probably already figured out, I'm a novice
> network administrator...
>
> --
> Marc Unangst               |
> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"
> ....!umich!leebai!mudos!mju |
|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

larree@altos86.Altos.COM (Larry Snyder) (10/18/90)

In article <gu6wq4w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>  you write:
>>                We'd like to link the TCP/IP and Novell networks so
>> users on the SCO ODT machines can access ...
>>
>> 1. Is it okay to put the TCP/IP and Novell networks on the same
>> Ethernet cable?  I know Ethernet packets is Ethernet packets, but will
>> Novell and/or ODT just ignore packets it doesn't understand?

netware can be configured to run either using 'length' or 'type' fields
(these correspond to 802.3 or ethernet-II specs, respectively).  in either
case, the two packet types can happily co-exist.  assuming that you
can get both the IPX/SPX and the TCP/IP protocol stacks to run in the
same unix kernel, inbound packets will be sorted to the appropriate stack
depending upon how they were bound to the ethernet driver.   if no driver
is bound appropriately for a particular packet, it will drop it.

examples:
	assume that the netware PCs are configured for 802.3 packets (ethernet
packet bytes 13-14 are the length of the frame), whenever a packet is
received from the ethernet with a 'length/type' field between 0x60 and
0x5ee (min and max frame lengths) it would go to the  netware stack.
for other frames, the length/type field value would be looked-up in a
table of bound types, and sent up the TCP stack as appropriate.

	if, however, your novell PCs were using 'type' fields, then all
netware packets received by Unix would have a type value of 0x8137 (?)
and would be passed to the proper stack (since the IPX/SPX stack would
have registered itself as the proper destination for frames of this
type.)

>> 3. Again, if it's okay to do (1), are there versions of IPX and NETx
>> for SCO Unix?

WARNING ***** ADVERT COMING ...

in order to accomplish (cleanly) your objective, novell has come up
with a source-level product which they call 'portable netware' which
can be ported to other enviromnents.  of the current contractees for
this product Altos is the only company which has a port to an SCO-based
unix.

to date, this product is only offered on altos hardware.  we have
a (very slick) family of '486 EISA systems, running a Unix based on
SCO 5.3.2 with ODT.  I say "based" since we started with source to
SCO Unix and then put a great deal of effort into system tuning,
enhancement, and bug fixes. (i would be happy to go into detail at
another time if you wish)

with the altos system in your network, it could act as a netware
server, while running ODT (TCP, NFS, etc.), SCO applications
and give everyone access to the printers, disks, ... hanging off
the unix system.  by configuring NFS, you could also give your PCs
access to the filesystems of your current SCO systems.

--
Larry Snyder                                         Altos Computer Systems
                                                     2641 Orchard Parkway

jcurtis@simasd.uucp (Jay Curtis) (10/23/90)

In article <4267@altos86.Altos.COM> larree@altos.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>In article <gu6wq4w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us>  you write:
>>>                We'd like to link the TCP/IP and Novell networks so
>>> users on the SCO ODT machines can access ...
(Stuff deleted)

>>> 3. Again, if it's okay to do (1), are there versions of IPX and NETx
>>> for SCO Unix?
>
>WARNING ***** ADVERT COMING ...

(more stuff deleted)

>with the altos system in your network, it could act as a netware
>server, while running ODT (TCP, NFS, etc.), SCO applications
>and give everyone access to the printers, disks, ... hanging off
>the unix system.  by configuring NFS, you could also give your PCs
>access to the filesystems of your current SCO systems.
>
>--
>Larry Snyder                                         Altos Computer Systems
>                                                     2641 Orchard Parkway
>Internet: larree@altos.com                           San Jose CA 95134
>UUCP    : uunet!altos!larree                         408.432.6200

Portable netware is a slick product if your intention is to make the Unix
Machine a server.  However if you read the first quoted line, the question
seems to be "Can I make my unix machine a CLIENT on a Novell network?".

I also have a number of personal unix workstations that would like to have
access to the Novell network and it's resources.  The Unix machines are
a minor portion of a 500 node PC based LAN.  Politics and common sense say
to make the unix workstations clients rather than servers for print services,
etc.  Is there a way to do this?  Has anyone managed it to date?

The technology is there.  Most of the software has already been written.
With unix running on 386/486 machines and "dos under unix" products in such
common use, can it be long before the PC based unix systems can access the
resources available on the Novell based LANs?

Inquiring minds want to know!

--Jay

--
Jay Curtis