[comp.dcom.lans] Telebit Bridge

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (10/23/90)

	I saw an artcile in PC Week or Info. World about Telebit's bridge that
allows you to connect a set of modems directly to you network to support SLIP
over dialup lines.  Did anyone else see this?

	What it basically does is listen to the Ethernet for TCP/IP address
that match an internal lookup table.  Once a match occurs the bridge dials
out to the SLIP host an establishes a connection and packets start to flow.

	I was wondering if anyone has considered or is using this type of
bridge.  My company will be connecting to PSINet in the very near future and
I need to decide between using SLIP software on a Ultrix machine or using this
Telebit bridge.

	What bothers me most about the Ultrix alternative is detecting when the
line is lost.  I could put something in crontab to ping the host every so
often, but this sounds sort of crude.

	Any ideas?

	Thanks.

---
Michael R. Almond                                  mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'. Georgia Tech Alumnus .'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.'.

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (10/24/90)

In article <275@srchtec.UUCP>, mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:
> 	What bothers me most about the Ultrix alternative is detecting when the
> line is lost.  I could put something in crontab to ping the host every so
> often, but this sounds sort of crude.

If you can spend the money (I think it's about 2,995 without modems) get
the Telebit Netblazer.  It is a very nice bit of equipment.  So go for it.
It works. We use one here, mostly for incoming calls from home, and it works
well.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products