[comp.dcom.lans] IPX packets going through one server to get to another

network@zeus.unomaha.edu (10/19/90)

   We have multiple Novell file servers on the campus, nearly all v2.15
and all individualy bridged from our Ethernet backbone.
   I did some packet tracing with our network analyzer and found that when
a station on one bridged network logged in to a server on another bridged
Novell network, that they would pass ALL of their IPX traffic via a third
file server which is also bridged from the backbone.  It would be a different
'third' file server at different times.
   The packets had their final destination within the packet, but their
destination address in the packet header was allways the 'third' file server.

   Of course this is bad.  Traffic goes all over the place to get to
it's destination.  Other traffic is bridging fine.  We use Cabletron
bridges.  Is there something with Netware IPX that causes this?
Has anyone else seen this problem?  Don't you wish Novell had
decent support ;-)

Steven Lendt
Network Manager
University of Nebraska at Omaha

Internet: NETWORK@ZEUS.UNOMAHA.EDU          Bitnet: NETWORK@UNOMA1

backman@vaxeline.COM (Larry Backman) (10/22/90)

In article <2868.271e3313@zeus.unomaha.edu> network@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:

>   We have multiple Novell file servers on the campus, nearly all v2.15
>and all individualy bridged from our Ethernet backbone.
>   I did some packet tracing with our network analyzer and found that when
>a station on one bridged network logged in to a server on another bridged
>Novell network, that they would pass ALL of their IPX traffic via a third
>file server which is also bridged from the backbone.  It would be a different
>'third' file server at different times.
>   The packets had their final destination within the packet, but their
>destination address in the packet header was allways the 'third' file server.

You are running into the dreaded Novell RIP protocol.  All Netware servers
can also be Netware routeres as they  have RIP (XNS derived) protocol
embedded within them.

When a workstation comes up it issues a GET_NEAREST_SERVER NCP (netware
Core Protocol) packet.  This is a broadcast query which *ALL* Netware
servers reply to.  The worksdtation picks the first reply (Fastest or
nearest) server as its default server.

Now the user tries to log onto another server.  The login program
comes fromt he inital server, and if the target server does not have
the same Novell network number as the initial server, RIP protocol
determines a rouet (read two hops!) to the target server.  I believe that
this is the behavior that you are seeing.

Suggestion:  if your network is really bridged rather than routed, make
sure all Netware servers that are bridged to thwe backbone have the same
network number.  This should alleviate the two hop syndrome.  If you
have different media, Netware subnets, etc. put two cards in the server,
the first (Net A!!!!) should be connected to your backbone ethernet, and
the second (Net B) is connected to the workgroup's media.  Remember
that all servers on the ethernet should have the same network address.

					Larry Backman
					backman@ftp.com
					.

pasek@npdiss1.StPaul.NCR.COM (Michael A. Pasek) (10/24/90)

In article <2868.271e3313@zeus.unomaha.edu> network@zeus.unomaha.edu writes:
>[configuration info deleted]
>   I did some packet tracing with our network analyzer and found that when
>a station on one bridged network logged in to a server on another bridged
>Novell network, that they would pass ALL of their IPX traffic via a third
>file server which is also bridged from the backbone.  It would be a different
>'third' file server at different times.
>   The packets had their final destination within the packet, but their
>destination address in the packet header was allways the 'third' file server.
>   Of course this is bad.  Traffic goes all over the place to get to
>it's destination.  Other traffic is bridging fine.  We use Cabletron
>bridges.  Is there something with Netware IPX that causes this?
>Has anyone else seen this problem?  Don't you wish Novell had
>decent support ;-)

I am not sure if it's something with Netware IPX that causes this, but I
would guess so.  It appears that the following occurs (in the trace I have):
   1) Client sends out "Nearest Service" query
   2) Gets response from server or "bridge" (in the Novell sense of the word)
   3) Sends XNS RIP request to determine the route to get to the network
      that the server is on.
   4) Whichever node responds FIRST to the XNS RIP request will be the node
      that the client sends ALL its traffic to that is intended for the
      server.  This is true in my trace EVEN THOUGH the first responder
      had a hop count of 2 to get to the server, and the second responder
      had a hop count of 1.

As the "Summary" line says -- yes, I've seen this.

I can't comment on Novell support, I'm only an observer of Netware traffic.

M. A. Pasek               Software Development              NCR Comten, Inc.
(612) 638-7668              MNI Development               2700 N. Snelling Ave.
pasek@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM                               Roseville, MN  55113