[comp.dcom.lans] wanted: service mark labels

jqj@jessica.Stanford.EDU (J Q Johnson) (10/24/90)

Many of us have twisted pair cable plants with RJ45 plugs in offices
that might be any of asynch terminal connections, Localtalk/Phonenet,
10baseT, or other data services.  I'd like some easy and
user-comprehensible way to provide labels describing the type of
service on each live outlet in a wall plate or harmonica.  None of the
standard cable labelling vendors (AMP, Panduit, etc.) seem to have what
I want.  Does anyone have good suggestions?

Some sites use color-coded dots or custom text adhesive tags.  The
former isn't very mnemonic for the user and the latter for typical
single-site quantities is pretty expensive.  What I'm really looking
for is a vendor who sells sheets of selfadhesive Apple logos, pictures
of terminals, etc.  An alternative would be a little adhesive menu that
a tech could check off when she activated a plug.

JQ Johnson
Director of Network Services		Internet: jqj@oregon.uoregon.edu
University of Oregon			voice:	(503) 346-4394
250E Computing Center			BITNET: jqj@oregon
Eugene, OR  97403

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.205959.5997@portia.Stanford.EDU> jqj@jessica.Stanford.EDU (J Q Johnson) writes:

>...I'd like some easy and
>user-comprehensible way to provide labels describing the type of
>service on each live outlet in a wall plate or harmonica.  None of the
>standard cable labelling vendors (AMP, Panduit, etc.) seem to have what
>I want.  Does anyone have good suggestions?
>
>Some sites use color-coded dots or custom text adhesive tags.  The
>former isn't very mnemonic for the user and the latter for typical
>single-site quantities is pretty expensive.  What I'm really looking
>for is a vendor who sells sheets of selfadhesive Apple logos, pictures
>of terminals, etc.  An alternative would be a little adhesive menu that
>a tech could check off when she activated a plug.

	We have used both colored dots and text adhesive tags.  I'm
afraid that icons won't help much either unless they are very
specific.  For example, does the Apple icon mean LocalTalk or
EtherTalk or what?  Just anticipating a problem.

	I was at Educom last week and there was a nice person trying
to stick fuzzy little Apple logos on everyone's name tag.  She seemed
to have a million of them.  Perhaps Apple would give you some labels?
If Apple could do that, perhaps we could persuade Cabletron and
Synoptics et al to make up a "10BaseT" icon (standard, please) and
provide users with rolls of labels with every concentrator.  Maybe
cisco and Xylogics would provide icons that indicate terminal ports.
Anyone think any of this might work?  Get each vendor to provide
standard stick-on labels with their products.

	Do we need an RFC to iconify all these services?     :-)

	--Kent