[comp.dcom.lans] TOKEN RING VS ETHERNET

glass@tehran.berkeley.edu (01/07/89)

I've received quite a number of messages in response to my two small
postings to comp.dcom.lans -- some complimentary, some expressing dissent,
and no small number carrying "flames" of the form: "I think Network X is
better because I use and like it, and that's that!"

A few brief comments. First, to paraphrase Mark Twain, "There are lies, damn
lies, and benchmarks." I've heard arguments for both systems made on the basis
of benchmarks, and so far none have been supportable strictly on the basis of
the LAN architecture rather than the implementation. It may be argued, of
course, that it's not practical to separate the two -- but then, that's
a philosophical can of worms I don't really want to open just now.

Second, virtually all of the arguments I received supporting Ethernet
were based on the assumption that the TCP/IP protocol suite was being
used for internetworking. Needless to say, this assumption can only
favor Ethernet.  The Token Ring has a highly efficient link-level
routing and acknowledgement scheme that's guaranteed to be there (it's
built into the chip set!). Also, once we start talking about
internetworking on ISO levels above the link level, we are really
talking about a WAN, not a LAN. A whole new set of considerations
comes into play in this case.

Finally, I've learned that there's no end to the amount of time one can
spend arguing "religion." The messages I've received indicate that there's
a lot more passionate feeling tied up in choices of technology than I'd
expected. Or maybe the nets are just one place where such emotions tend
to get vented.

In any event, let's keep the forums open -- but at a dull roar,
please. I have next month's column to write....

<BG>

narten@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas Narten) (01/07/89)

In article  <18796@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu writes:
>I've heard arguments for both systems made on the basis
>of benchmarks, and so far none have been supportable strictly on the basis of
>the LAN architecture rather than the implementation. It may be argued, of
>course, that it's not practical to separate the two -- but then, that's
>a philosophical can of worms I don't really want to open just now.

Look, go read the paper by Boggs et al.  They look only at the
architecture.  They don't say "Ethernets are better than token rings";
they *do* put to rest the myth that token rings are inherently
superior to CSMA/CD by a *wide* margin.  In other words, statements
like "token rings are better than ethernets" are just plain nonsense
(but then, so are statements like "ethernets are better than rings").

>Second, virtually all of the arguments I received supporting Ethernet
>were based on the assumption that the TCP/IP protocol suite was being
>used for internetworking. Needless to say, this assumption can only
>favor Ethernet.

Why does TCP/IP favor Ethernet?  Please explain.  Again, see the paper
by Boggs et al.  They look at the ethernet from the physical media
only.  They make no assumptions about higher level protocols.

I think the correct observation to make is that TCP/IP is an existance
proof that Ethernets can go fast.  If there were other protocols that
could drive the media at rates near 10 Mbps, they too would show that
the Ethernet can be driven at high data rates.  There just aren't many
high-througput protocols to perform benchmarks against.

>The Token Ring has a highly efficient link-level
>routing and acknowledgement scheme that's guaranteed to be there (it's
>built into the chip set!).

Just to show that link-level acks aren't 100% wonderful, let me give
you an example where having a link-level acknowledgement isn't
necessarily such a nifty feature.  In the UNIX ProNET driver, the
driver retransmits frames that return with the acknowledgement bit not
set (e.g., frames the receiver didn't accept).  Since a sender can
generate back-to-back frames faster than a single receiver can receive
them, the second frame of the sequence returns unacknowledged.  The
driver then retransmits the packet up to 8 times before giving up.  It
turns out that when the back-to-back packets result from fragmented IP
datagrams, 8 retries are not enough time for the receiver to recover
from the first packet and the retransmitted packet is lost.  Now not
only is the frame not delivered, but the sender fields 8 extra
interrupts trying to deliver a single packet.

Upping the number of retransmissions is not a particularly good
solution either.  The driver also retransmits packets to hosts that
are down.  After all, 1 bit can't distinguish between "host crashed"
and "host temporarily out of buffers".  Thus, packets to crashed hosts
are an extra load on the sender.

>In any event, let's keep the forums open -- but at a dull roar,
>please. I have next month's column to write....

How about: routers are clearly better than bridges :-)

--
Thomas Narten
narten@cs.purdue.edu or {ucbvax,decvax}!purdue!narten

glass@tehran.berkeley.edu (Brett Glass) (01/07/89)

In article <5786@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> narten@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas Narten) writes:

>In article  <18796@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu writes:
>>Second, virtually all of the arguments I received supporting Ethernet
>>were based on the assumption that the TCP/IP protocol suite was being
>>used for internetworking. Needless to say, this assumption can only
>>favor Ethernet.

>Why does TCP/IP favor Ethernet?  Please explain.

The use of a "foreign" internetworking protocol such as TCP/IP in a
benchmark will favor Ethernet because it will negate the value of many
of the Token Ring's unique features. (The Token Ring may still prevail,
however, depending on how you've set up your benchmurk... er, mark.)

<BG>

narten@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas Narten) (01/08/89)

In article  <18809@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu (Brett Glass) writes:
>>Why does TCP/IP favor Ethernet?  Please explain.
>
>The use of a "foreign" internetworking protocol such as TCP/IP in a
>benchmark will favor Ethernet because it will negate the value of many
>of the Token Ring's unique features. (The Token Ring may still prevail,
>however, depending on how you've set up your benchmurk... er, mark.)

OK, name a higher layer protocol that is able to take advantage of the
"unique features" of the ring but that also performs poorly when those
features are removed.  How useful is this protocol? How general?
--

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (01/08/89)

 (Brett Glass) writes:

>The use of a "foreign" internetworking protocol such as TCP/IP in a
>benchmark will favor Ethernet because it will negate the value of many
>of the Token Ring's unique features. (The Token Ring may still prevail,
>however, depending on how you've set up your benchmurk... er, mark.)

You should know that one of the most fundamental aspects of the design
of TCP/IP and any other good internetworking protocol is that the
protocol work well independently of the medium.  If you tell me that
someone has developed a super-duper protocol suite tailored to Token
Ring (or Ethernet for that matter) that really screams compared to
TCP/IP, I would say that rates one big yawn.  I am simply not
interested in "local area" protocols.  I need internetworking
protocols.

There is no such thing as TCP/IP having a favored medium.  As Van J,
Dave Borman from Cray, and Phil Karn from Bellcore and amateur packet
radio fame, among others, have proven, TCP/IP runs over *anything* from
tin cans and string to Cray channels, including Ethernet.  And it now
works "well".

Anyone in the software development business should feel about the same
way.  It gets tedious writing device drivers ad nauseum.  How much
worse would it be to write protocol stacks for each medium ad nauseum.

You haven't convinced me that Token Ring has anything really wiz-bang
to offer that can't be duplicated in TCP/IP.

DEC hasn't convinced me that I should love LAT and their other local
area protocols.

IEEE hasn't convinced anyone to use 802 LLC 2.  (almost no one)

I simply do not rate LAN performance by the presence or absence of
acknowledgements or contention.  I think raw speed, cabling, topology,
fault-tolerance, etc are much better ways to rate LAN technology.

I have Ethernet networks where no other technology will do, since all
the vendors support it and the cost of the computer hardware justifies
the Ethernet.

I have Pronet-80 for a backbone.  Ethernet wouldn't do, simply because
of bandwidth.

I have LocalTalk because of Apple, but I wish I had a nice LocalTalk X
terminal since that would be very cost-effective.

I would like to run TCP/IP on all these media.  Guess what?  I can.

	Kent England, Boston University

bc@halley.UUCP (Bill Crews) (01/08/89)

In article <18809@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu (Brett Glass) writes:
>In article <5786@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> narten@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas Narten) writes:
>
>>In article  <18796@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu writes:
>>Why does TCP/IP favor Ethernet?  Please explain.
>
>The use of a "foreign" internetworking protocol such as TCP/IP in a
>benchmark will favor Ethernet because it will negate the value of many
>of the Token Ring's unique features. (The Token Ring may still prevail,
>however, depending on how you've set up your benchmurk... er, mark.)

First, ARPA IP and ISO IP are purported to be extremely similar.  I don't know
the details, but perhaps it is likely that 802.5's behavior beneath ARPA IP
will be similar beneath ISO IP.

Second, regardless of the virtues .5 might have, if most of the widely used
layer 3 protocols "negate the value of many of the Token Ring's unique
features", then perhaps these unique features are doomed to go to waste.

I'm not knocking .5.  Just your argument.  This isn't comp.os.research.  The
real world matters here.

-bc
--
Bill Crews                        bc@halley.UUCP
(512) 244-8350                    ..!rutgers!cs.utexas.edu!halley!bc

mogul@decwrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (01/10/89)

In article <5786@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> narten@cs.purdue.EDU (Thomas Narten) writes:
>Look, go read the paper by Boggs et al.  They look only at the
>architecture.  They don't say "Ethernets are better than token rings";
>they *do* put to rest the myth that token rings are inherently
>superior to CSMA/CD by a *wide* margin.  In other words, statements
>like "token rings are better than ethernets" are just plain nonsense
>(but then, so are statements like "ethernets are better than rings").

Alas, it's not so simple.  Because the efficiency of CSMA/CD depends on
the ratio of packet length (expressed in time, or packet-bits/bit-rate)
to the propagation delay for the entire cable, it doesn't scale well
to high-delay (i.e., high bandwidth*length) networks.  For example,
a 100 Mbit CSMA/CD net would only perform as efficiently as the 10Mbit
Ethernet if the faster net were one tenth the length of the shorter
net, or if the minimum packet size were ten times longer.  Since it
doesn't make sense to require 600-byte packets, a 100Mbit CSMA/CD net
would probably only work for cables < 500 meters.

There might be some tricks to get around this (see the paper by
Maly et al, "Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation in a Network", SIGCOMM 88,
for something that might work) but basically it's a fact of life.

In our paper, we said
	At higher bit rates or for longer networks, ring topologies
	may be the only acceptable approach, but experience with
	Ethernet proves that at 10 Mbits/second, over a kilometer
	or so of cable, CSMA/CD is quite successful.
(Experiments conducted after that was written suggest that even
5 Km of cable works well.  Dave Boggs believes that CSMA/CD is
"viable for any combination of bandwidth under 20 Mbits/sec and
distance under 10 Km.")  One should also not write off point-to-point
or star technologies.

Bottom line: you need to pick the parameters before you can make
a comparison between two LAN technologies.

-Jeff

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (01/11/89)

In article <18796@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu () writes:
>I've received quite a number of messages in response to my two small
>postings to comp.dcom.lans -- some complimentary, some expressing dissent,
>and no small number carrying "flames" of the form: "I think Network X is
>better because I use and like it, and that's that!"

Sorry 'bout that, if I'd have thought about it more before posting I'd have
realized this was one of those touchy religious issues....

>Second, virtually all of the arguments I received supporting Ethernet
>were based on the assumption that the TCP/IP protocol suite was being
>used for internetworking. Needless to say, this assumption can only
>favor Ethernet.  The Token Ring has a highly efficient link-level
>routing and acknowledgement scheme that's guaranteed to be there (it's
>built into the chip set!). Also, once we start talking about
>internetworking on ISO levels above the link level, we are really
>talking about a WAN, not a LAN. A whole new set of considerations
>comes into play in this case.

I think you're missing the point when people are arguing for end-to-end
acknowledgements.  These people know quite well about living on a WAN
and not a LAN.  What's the Internet if it's not a WAN?  That link-level
acknowledgement looks useful until, as people have said, you bring
in external nets.  If the host you're sending to is on the other side
of a gateway, and the ONLY acknowledgement is the link level one,
then the original host can easily get confused into thinking the packet
was delivered when it really wasn't.

So what you're claiming as a gain turns into a minus.

Anyway, this thread of articles has been interesting, thank you ...
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dick@ccb.ucsf.edu (Dick Karpinski) (01/11/89)

We have some departmental token rings and our support folks
are saying that interconnecting token rings will provide the
servers (disk, printer, modem?) on one ring to the others.
They do not know of any way to share like that when the
connection between rings is over an Ethernet.  Do you?

Dick

Dick Karpinski  Manager of Minicomputer Services, UCSF Computer Center
UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!dick        (415) 476-4529 (11-7)
BITNET:  dick@ucsfcca or dick@ucsfvm           Compuserve: 70215,1277
USPS:  U-76 UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143-0704   Telemail: RKarpinski
Domain: dick@cca.ucsf.edu  Home (415) 658-6803  Ans 658-3797

martillo@cpoint.UUCP (Joacim Martillo) (01/16/89)

In article <10865@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>In article <18796@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> glass@tehran.berkeley.edu () writes:
>>I've received quite a number of messages in response to my two small
>>postings to comp.dcom.lans -- some complimentary, some expressing dissent,
>>and no small number carrying "flames" of the form: "I think Network X is
>>better because I use and like it, and that's that!"

>Sorry 'bout that, if I'd have thought about it more before posting I'd have
>realized this was one of those touchy religious issues....

>>Second, virtually all of the arguments I received supporting Ethernet
>>were based on the assumption that the TCP/IP protocol suite was being
>>used for internetworking. Needless to say, this assumption can only
>>favor Ethernet.  The Token Ring has a highly efficient link-level
>>routing and acknowledgement scheme that's guaranteed to be there (it's
>>built into the chip set!). Also, once we start talking about
>>internetworking on ISO levels above the link level, we are really
>>talking about a WAN, not a LAN. A whole new set of considerations
>>comes into play in this case.

>I think you're missing the point when people are arguing for end-to-end
>acknowledgements.  These people know quite well about living on a WAN
>and not a LAN.  What's the Internet if it's not a WAN?  That link-level
>acknowledgement looks useful until, as people have said, you bring
>in external nets.  If the host you're sending to is on the other side
>of a gateway, and the ONLY acknowledgement is the link level one,
>then the original host can easily get confused into thinking the packet
>was delivered when it really wasn't.

By the way, if you read the IEEE standards carefully, you quickly
realize that the highly efficient link-level routing and acknowledgement
scheme really is not sufficient for even a single physical LAN environment.

From  IEEE Std 802.5-1985 p. 61

5.1.2.3 MA_DATA.confirm.  This primitive has *local* significance and
shall provide an appropriate response to the LLC sublayer
MA_DATA.request primitive signifying the success or failure of the request.

From IEEE Std 802.5-1985 p. 63

5.2.2.3 PH_DATA.confirmation.  This primitive has *local* significance and
shall provide an appropriate response to the MAC sublayer
PH_DATA.request primitive signifying the acceptance of a symbol
specified by the PH_DATA.request and willingness to accept another symbol.

Now what does local mean? If it is not obvious:

IEEE Std 802.3-1985 p. 22

2.3.2 MA_DATA.confirm

2.3.2.1 Function.  This primitive has local significance and shall provide
an appropriate response to the LLC sublayer MA_DATA.request primitive
signifying the success or failure of the request.

Since the wording is identical for MA_DATA.confirm for both 802.5 and
802.3, I would suggest that a designer/implementer who depends on 802.5
to provide more in terms of reliability than 802.3 is looking for
serious trouble.

By the way, suppose 802.5 really could provide reliable, sequenced
delivery of link layer packets without an end-to-end sequencing and
acknowledgement protocol at the link-layer.  Then it would not be
possible to provide security either as a sublayer at the bottom of the
link layer or as a security layer between LLC and the MAC.  I would
demand that an application which ran in an unsecured environment should
be able to run in a secure environment.  Now if LLC does not provide
sequenced, reliable delivery and the security layer or sublayer throws
away packets which do not pass security tests, suddenly the sequenced
reliable delivery which LLC depends on does not exist even though
the MAC provides sequenced reliable delivery.  I suppose one
could require the security layer or sublayer to provide sequenced
reliable delivery, but that seems inappropriate in many cases and
would make the provision of sequenced reliable delivery at the MAC
seem rather excessive.

By the way in the bridged environment a la 802.1 (not an internetworked
environment), sequenced reliable delivery at the MAC layer definitely
does not guarantee sequenced reliable delivery on different segments of
the bridged network.  Since the IEEE is supposedly carefully crafting
all the 802 standards, so that a 802.1 bridged network should be
indistinguishable at the LLC layer from a single physical LAN of any of
the 802 technologies, assuming LLC can depend solely upon the 802.5 MAC
layer for reliability and sequencing is probably incorrect.  It may
actually work in some cases, but the IEEE specification clearly does not
guarantee it.  Thus, when comparing ethernet and token ring, it is
appropriate to use an test-situation which uses end-to-end sequenced and
reliable protocols for comparison.  I suppose you might argue that using
LLC type II which does provide another layer of reliability would have
been more appropriate for comparison than TCP/IP, but from experiments
which I performed at Prime Computer and which others have performed
locally, it appears TCP/IP will almost invariably provide greater
throughput on any LAN technology than 802.2 type II.  The relatively
silly packet counting flow control, too frequent acknowledgement scheme
and lack of resequencing seem to harm performance.

Thus using a TCP/IP-based test suite seems perfectly reasonable for
comparing the two technologies.  In any case, cost is the real killer.
Token-ring costs too much in comparison to the adequacy of ethernet.

>So what you're claiming as a gain turns into a minus.

>Anyway, this thread of articles has been interesting, thank you ...
>--
><-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
><-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET
><-- Now I know how Zonker felt when he graduated ...
><--          Stop!  Wait!  I didn't mean to!

loethen@psp.psp.com (10/24/90)

GREETINGS TO ALL ON THE NET.

FIRST, PRELIMINARIES.  I AM POSTING THIS TO COMP.SYS.DEC,COMP.PROTOCOLS.TCP-IP,
& COMP.DCOM.LANS. OUTSIDE IF THAT, CROSS-POST TO WHAT EVER YOU THINK MIGHT BE
HELPFUL.
ALSO, PLEASE ANSWER VIA EMAIL.  MY NEWS FEED IS SPOTTY AND OCCASIONALLY
UNRELIABLE.

I HAVE HELPED SPECIFY AND TEST A ETHERNET - TCP/IP NETWORK TO PROVIDE
BROADBAND CONNECTIVITY FOR A DEPARTMENT CONSISTING OF DEC (WORKSTATIONS, 3100
AND 3800), TANDEM AND PCS (AT AND MC BUS).  AS WE HAVE COMPLETED THE TESTING
OF THIS SYSTEM AND WERE MAKING PREPERATIONS TO PURCHASE SAID HARDWARE AND
SOFTWARE, OUR CORPORATE SUPPORT GROUPS HAVE ASK US TO RE-EVALUATE OUR DECISIONS
AND ANALYZE WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO MAKE THIS A TOKEN-RING NETWORK INSTEAD
(RUNNING NOVELL ON THE RING FOR PCs).

SOME FACTS:

WE NEED FILE SHARING, REMOTE LOGIN, REMOTE BACKUP, PRINTER SHARING, TERMINAL
EMULATION (OBVIOUSLY) AND EVENTUALLY, REMOTE PROCEDURE CALLS.

THE COMPANY GOAL IS TO MIGRATE TO OSI

THERE ARE ALREADY TWO LARGE (75-100) TOKEN RINGS IN THE COMPANY, RUNNING NOVELL
AND PROVIDING CONNECTIVITY FOR PC TO THE IBM MAINFRAME.

QUESTIONS:

IS THIS A VIABLE SOLUTION (USING TOKEN RING)?  HOW MIGHT IT BE DONE?

IF T/R IS NOT A BETTER SOLUTION, WHAT ARE SOME REASONS THAT MIGHT SUPPORT THE
ETHERNET TCP/IP SOLUTION?

I HAVE DONE SOME CHECKING INTO THIS, OF COURSE, BUT I COULD USE SOME FEEDBACK
ON DIRECTIONS OR ALTERNATIVES I HAVEN'T THOUGHT OF YET.

THANKS AGAIN.

* Shelly Loethen		*  "Only By Attempting the Absurd,	      *
*                       	*        Can We Achieve the Impossible"	      *
* ...uunet!amgraf!brian386!swl386!shellyl // loethen@psp.psp.com	      *
* Disclaimer:  "My opinions are my own, thank you!"			      *