[comp.dcom.lans] Remote administration of PC LANs

biow@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Biow) (10/23/90)

I am interested in hearing of any experience, or articles available in the
computer press, dealing with remote administration of PC LANs. Can products
such as PC Remote and Carbon Copy be used to run the administration programs
for 3COM and other PC LANs?

Please reply by E-mail or News, as appropriate.

Thanks in advance,
     Chris

lindsay@giaea.gi.oz (lindsay smith) (10/25/90)

In article <27120@mimsy.umd.edu> biow@tove.cs.umd.edu (Christopher Biow) writes:
>I am interested in hearing of any experience, or articles available in the
>computer press, dealing with remote administration of PC LANs.

One of our staff members here at the College has developed a program called
TeleReplica (TR) which is available as shareware (it has been posted in the
ibm binaries group). This program allows you to dial into a PC and do a remote
login to the network - in fact I am answering this from home via TR to my
desk PC which is logged into a hp9000. As the network manager for our Schools
Novell LAN I am able to carry out all admin functions from home when and how
I like.

Some of the features of TR are:
    - small overhead 8K on host machine (eat your heart out commercial
      products!)
    - file transfer using a fast z-modem like protocol
    - can be set up to reboot host on loss of carrier (great for the user
      who tends to hang the system. Simple drop the phone line and come
      back in)
    - very wide range of configuration options
    - screen updates/transfers optimised (much faster than many other packages)
    - sensible licensing arrangement at very moderate cost

Our LAN back ups to tape are done remotely via TR to a machine which has a tape
unit installed. Start it going from home at night, switch away with DESQview
and go on with what I want to do with an occasional check up. Staff members
use TR for logging in via a remote machine to read mail, run programs such
as WordPerfect and FoxBASE, connect to the hp3000 or 9000 ..... whatever you
need. We have been using TR for about 10 months now and it is very stable
product.

Further details and/or TR are available by contacting either myself or TR's
author douglas thomson (doug@giaea.oz.au)

Internet : lindsay@giaea.oz.au             # " The trouble isn't what people
Phone    : +61 51 220 669                  #   don't know; it's what they
FAX      : +61 51 222 876                  #   do know that isn't so"
Lindsay Smith                              #
Monash University College Gippsland        #                     Will Rogers
Switchback Rd Churchill Vic Aust 3842      #