[comp.dcom.lans] Can I do this?

prc@hulda.erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/25/90)

I've been trying to find out whether I can connect a half remote
filtering bridge to a fan out unit in the following way:

           ------------------------------- Ethernet
		 |MAU|
		 +-+-+
		   | AUI
	       +---+---+
	       |Fan Out|
	       +-------+
		    | AUI
		+---+---+
		|Bridge |
		+---+---+
		    | 64 Kbps
		    .
		    .
		    .

There will be some other things connected to the fan out as well,
like computers and terminal servers. The ethernet is a fiber-
optic one, so it isn't possible to connect more than one MAU to it.

Well, will this work? I've been unable to find out. Or should I resort
to connecting a coax segment to the fiber optic one using a repeater,
and connect the bridge directly to the coax segment using its own
MAU?

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (10/25/90)

I don't see why it would not work but something that would surely work
is to connect the fiber ethernet mau to one of the fan-out "inputs"
and the bridge to the "output" of the fan-out box.  That is logically
the same configuration and is a bit easier to understand.  At least I
would think so.

Good luck
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/25/90)

In article <1653@syteke.be> jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) writes:
>I don't see why it would not work but something that would surely work
>is to connect the fiber ethernet mau to one of the fan-out "inputs"
>and the bridge to the "output" of the fan-out box.  That is logically
>the same configuration and is a bit easier to understand.  At least I
>would think so.

	This suggestion is backwards.

	The bridge can connect to an input port of the fanout and the
fanout can attach to the fiber MAU.  Or the bridge can connect
directly to another fiber MAU.  Or you could install a multi-port
repeater with the bridge connected to a MAU to the repeater and the
repeater "output" port on the fiber optic MAU.  Or...