[comp.dcom.lans] Questions about StarGROUP Software

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/17/90)

I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
have run into a couple of small things.

1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
how to do this.

2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
client for a StarGROUP server?

3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
application write its temp files somewhere else?

Thanks,
Pete
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
>have run into a couple of small things.

That's an old release, the current release is 3.3 which is Lan Manager/X
(Lan Manager/Unix). Besides offering a "standard (-:" (Lan Managers is
Lan Managers) there is better performance, security etc compared to 3.2.

LM/X also offers NDIS as a driver interface (ie: supports other ethernet
cards).

AT&T is about to release 3.4, which is the System V R4 port of LM/X. Other
features are additional LM transports besides ISO (Netbeui and TCP-IP). It
also supports the AppleTalk Protocols and Netware as "addon" packs (ie; acts
as a Lan Manager, Appletalk and Netware server simultanously). Administration
for all three is through a single interface. A snmp agent and mib are also
available (proxy).

>1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
>possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
>neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
>how to do this.

You need the StarGroup 3.2 DOS server to get this function. It isn't
available under Lan Manager/X.

>2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
>Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
>client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
>client for a StarGROUP server?

AT&T uses Simultask to support a Unix client under StarGroup and LM/X.
You only need Simultask if you are running a PC under Unix and want to
provide SG-LM/X services to it. Simultask is not needed (nor available)
for DOS clients (workstations).

>3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
>I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
>However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
>"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
>messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
>application write its temp files somewhere else?

This dosn't occure withe Lan Manager/X (StarGroup 3.3 or higher).

>Thanks,
>Pete
>--
>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
>Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
>UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
>Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

porterg@csusac.csus.edu (Greg Porter) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
>have run into a couple of small things.
>
>1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
>possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
>neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
>how to do this.

Simul-Task will only allow a concurent client/server to run dos programs
NOT access network resources like shared printers and shared directories.
In order to do both you need BOTH the Simul-Task 386 software AND the
"StarGROUP Software Simul-Task Client Interface Program".  We have found
that you need to use this only occasionally.  These two packages are big
cpu hogs which can really knock down system performance.

I hope this helps
--
| Greg Porter         |  UUCP:  ..ucdavis!csusac!porterg   -OR-               |
| CSU, Sacramento     |         ..ames!pacbell!sactoh0!csusac!porterg         |

In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
>have run into a couple of small things.
>
>1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
>possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
>neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
>how to do this.

It's been a while since I did this, but I thought the dos installation
program asked you wanted to be a client or server or both.  Anyway
you lose a lot of memory so you probably don't want to do this unless
you have something unusual in mind.  There should be a book labeled
"DOS client Server Administration" in the set somewhere.

>2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
>Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
>client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
>client for a StarGROUP server?

Yes, there is no native-unix way to get client access to the things
offered by the StarGroup servers.  For straight unix-unix links you
can just use RFS mounts, though.  The Simul-Task Client add-on is
needed to let a DOS program on the unix machine connect to resources
from other server machines.

>3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
>I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
>However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
>"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
>messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
>application write its temp files somewhere else?

I've worked around this kind of problem by giving each user a home
directory on the unix server, then making a subdirectory for each
such program and making a link there to a copy of every file that
the program needs.  From the DOS side it looks like each user has
his own copy in is own workspace but it doesn't take any extra
room on the server.  The real solution is to get network-aware
programs - lots of them aready are and will provide some way for
you to specify the locations of various parts and the workspace.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

rkd@rick.att.com (Rajeev Dolas) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
>have run into a couple of small things.
>
>1.  The "DOS Client Server Admin's Guide" mentions that it "...is
>possible to configure a computer as a concurrent client/server..." but
>neither it nor the "386 Server S/w Installation and Admin Guide" tell
>how to do this.

	The term "concurrent client/server" was/is almost exclusively
	used for DOS fileservers.  You would not have the concurrent
	client/server as you asre using a unix file server.
	Unix machines can only be file servers unless the SimulTask
	Client program is installed on the Unix box.

>2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
>Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
>client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
>client for a StarGROUP server?

	Clients are of 2 types.  One strictly running under DOS and
	the other is the simultask client.  Simultask client needs
	1) Simultask, 2) Simultask IEM tools program, 3) DOS, 4) simultask
	client interface program and 5) the regular DOS client program on
	the UNIX machine.

>3.  I have a DOS application installed in a shared directory tree and
>I'd like to prevent users from writing to any of those directories.
>However, it appears that the program itself writes temp files to its
>"home" directory because making the directory read-only produces error
>messages.  What should I examine to determine if I can make the
>application write its temp files somewhere else?

	Look into the configuration section for that application.  Check
	if you can change it's default "home" dir (an e.g. would be
	turbo-c, where most of the default dirs can be changed).  If that
	cannot be done then create a menu for the users using the quick
	menu editor, link the application's dir and user's data dir thru
	quick menu and then change the "startup run location" to be the
	user's data dir, so by default the files created would be stored
	under the data dir.  You could also set the trap option in the
	menu where by the user cannot quit out the menu.

>Thanks,
>Pete
>--
>Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      Mercer County Community College
>Voice: 609-586-4800          Engineering Technology, Computers and Math
>UUCP:...!princeton!mccc!pjh  1200 Old Trenton Road, Trenton, NJ 08690
>Internet: pjh@mccc.edu	     Trenton Computer Festival -- 4/20-21/91

	Hope this helps!

	Rajeev Dolas.
	Systems Engineer.
	..att!rick!rkd.
         __    _______	   ___	  _______     -------          AT&T CSTS
       / __ \ |__   __|  /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------        StarGROUP
      | (__) |	 | |	 \  \ \_\   | |	   -======------    StarLAN/StarWAN
      |  __  |	 | |	 /   \ __   | |	   --====-------   Technical Support
      | |  | |	 | |	|  (\ /	/   | |	    -----------    S. Plainfield, NJ
      |_|  |_|	 |_|	 \_____/    |_|	      -------         800-922-0354

I just ran into an interesting problem with the StarGroup DOS server
when used in combination with RFS.  It seems that a single server
process handles about 6 client PC's.  If one of those PC clients
has a file open on an RFS mounted filesystem, and the remote machine
goes down or otherwise forces an RFS disconnect, the StarGroup server
process dies, leaving 6 PC's in limbo.  If the process happens to be
the parent of the others, then the whole DOS server system goes out,
but new ones will start when the PC's reconnect.  If it isn't the
parent, only the PC's served by that process are affected, but when
they reconnect all the files they previously had open are locked.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is there a work-around?  Is it
fixed in 3.3?

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (10/25/90)

In article <366@rick.att.com> rkd@rick.UUCP (Rajeev Dolas) writes:
=In article <1990Oct16.173745.18064@mccc.uucp> pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>I'm in the process of installing StarGroup software (Version 3.2) on a
=>386 running SV/386 R3.2.2 and a bunch of Zenith PCs running DOS, and
=>have run into a couple of small things.
=>
=>2.  The error messages section of the DOS guide mentions a "Simul-Task
=>Client S/W Installation & Config Guide."  Does this suggest that a
=>client must be running DOS -- even if it's under Simultask -- to be a
=>client for a StarGROUP server?
=>
=	Clients are of 2 types.  One strictly running under DOS and
=	the other is the simultask client.  Simultask client needs
=	1) Simultask, 2) Simultask IEM tools program, 3) DOS, 4) simultask
=	client interface program and 5) the regular DOS client program on
=	the UNIX machine.

I think you're telling me that a Simultask client is a UNIX machine!

=>Thanks,
=>Pete