[comp.dcom.lans] Implementing LAN using RS-232 Serial Ports

tidedu@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (William T. Dedula) (10/15/90)

Hello All;
I am currently evaluating low cost, easily implemented methods
of connecting 6 or 7 IBM PC-XT/AT's in a Local Area Network.
I am about to begin to develop educational/simulation software
which will operate independently on each PC but will have the
capability of communicating with the other PC's in the network.

I have heard that it is possible to utilize RS-232 serial ports
on each computer to implement the network. If anyone has heard
of (Or done) this, I'd be interested in knowing the BEST, and
MOST EFFICIENT way this can be done. I would particularly be
interested in how the serial ports could be connected together
but will certaintly welcome any other information you may have
about this method. Thank you very much !!!

Tim Dedula

W. Tim Dedula                        Internet:
N.A.S.A. Lewis Research Center       tdedula@nasamail.nasa.gov
Mail Stop 77-3                       tidedu@mars.lerc.nasa.gov
21000 BrookPark Road                 aa252@cleveland.freenet.edu
Cleveland, Ohio 44135
Phone (216) 433-3668

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration: Science and
Technology ... for the Benefit of ALL Mankind !!!

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct15.030111.28548@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, tidedu@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (William T. Dedula) writes:

> I am currently evaluating low cost, easily implemented methods
> of connecting 6 or 7 IBM PC-XT/AT's in a Local Area Network.
> I am about to begin to develop educational/simulation software
> which will operate independently on each PC but will have the
> capability of communicating with the other PC's in the network.

> I have heard that it is possible to utilize RS-232 serial ports
> on each computer to implement the network. If anyone has heard
> of (Or done) this, I'd be interested in knowing the BEST, and
> MOST EFFICIENT way this can be done.

For small networks (2 or 3 machines) a
really inexpensive solution that seems to work well is called the $25
Network.  I am not a DOS fan but bought it just to see if it works.  It
does.  For the $25 you get the software and license to run the complete
network.

I hooked up a Toshiba T1000 to a 386SX system to test it out.  Access to
the disk on the 386 from the Toshiba worked fine (as did the other way
around) and remote print is also supported.

Various utility routines come with the network.  The one that I use is a
program that fakes out Windows to think that there really is a printer on
LPT3 (which is really just a way to send data to UltraScript).  That
program alone was worth the $25.

The product is available from:
    Information Modes
    P.O. Drawer F
    Denton, TX 76202
    (817) 387-3339

I ordered mine by phone and it showed up about two days later.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

imp@jhereg.osa.com (Charles T. Lukaszewski) (10/25/90)

mars.lerc.nasa.gov writes:
>I have heard that it is possible to utilize RS-232 serial ports
>on each computer to implement the network. If anyone has heard
>of (Or done) this, I'd be interested in knowing the BEST, and
>MOST EFFICIENT way this can be done. I would particularly be

If this is really the method you wish to use, there are a number of imple-
mentations of this style of network, which fall into two categories.  The
first category would be standalone systems like the system from Newbridge
Networks which use concentrators and home runs in a star-like topology.
(There are many others - I'm not endorsing Newbridge per se).  The second
method is to use a private branch exchange (PBX) that is capable of
switching between RS-232 devices.  I know that Rolm has such a beast, and
that Northern Telecom used to have something like this.  Again, others
can probably provide more specifics, but these are the basic routes.

In my opinion, RS-232 based networks are more cumbersome than helpful.
By definition, your throughput will be at least several tens (Arcnet) to
several hundreds (Ethernet) of times slower.  Also, it is arguable whether
the one-user-at-a-time limit isn't any worse than Ethernet.  You might
at least cost-compare building an Ethernet or Token-Ring network with a
non-server based Network Operating System like Tops.

Charles T. Lukaszewski            imp@osa.com                      612 525-0000
Managing Partner & Chairman                       Open Systems Architects, Inc.
 "Who needs a disclaimer? I liked the opinions so much, I bought the company!"

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct15.030111.28548@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>
tidedu@mars.lerc.nasa.gov (William T. Dedula) writes:

>Hello All;
>I am currently evaluating low cost, easily implemented methods
>of connecting 6 or 7 IBM PC-XT/AT's in a Local Area Network.
..stuff deleted...
>I have heard that it is possible to utilize RS-232 serial ports
>on each computer to implement the network. If anyone has heard
>of (Or done) this, I'd be interested in knowing the BEST, and
>MOST EFFICIENT way this can be done.

Yes, I have tried this method once and I abandoned it.  It was a good
thing that my hardware supplier have a 30 days trial policy on all irons
they sales.

There are three major problems with this methods, performance, maintenance,
and cost (eroneous assumption of saving money).

1. - Performance.  All serial lan boxes, aka zero-slot lan, can only support
a maximum throughput of 19,200 kps due to the limitation of the PC's serial
port.  Although they allow you to access files stored at another PC through
a logical drive interface, the speed limitation make it impractical for
you to do that.  Therefore, you must store a copy of each program at each
PC and file transfer the need data files before you can work.

2. - Maintenance.  Due to reason stated in 1, you therefore can't have
centralized control of programs and data.  This eventually lead to the
problem of having different version of programs and multiple version of
a document.  The DOCUMENT problem is a major one, since you don't have
file locking no one can know if something is checked out currently.  The
PROGRAM problem you might be able to get away with if you work hard to keep
everyone in line.

3. - Cost.  Let's analyze the total cost of having a zero-slot lan vs.
installing, let's say, Netware ELS II using thin-coax.  We can disregard
wiring cost, since this kind of installation is done by yourself and the
material cost between thin-coax and phone wire are neglegible.  A PLUS -
if you buy Antheme's NE-1000 you get 20' of coax and a T-connector
with each board.

Zero-Slot:	Box+Software			$1000
		40mb HD ($350x7)		$2450
						-----
						 3450

ELS II:		Netware				$1200
		NE1000 ($145x7)			$1015
		150mb HD w/ ESDI controller	$1200
		Ethernet Terminator		$  20
						-----
						$3435

As you can see for the same cost you'll have a system that's high performance
and easy to manage.  That's why zero-slot lan has never been that popular.

Paul