[comp.dcom.lans] how far can you run ethernet over fiber

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) (10/30/90)

How far can you run ethernet over fiber before the collision
detecting mechanism breaks down?  I came up the following which
seems too far:

     Min. frame size = 480 bits
     Time to transmit min. frame = frame size / transmission rate
                                 = 480 / 10,000,000 bits per sec.
                                 = .000048 sec.

     Distance light travels down the fiber during the
     transmission of min frame = .000048 * .8c
                  = .000048 * 240,000,000 meters/sec
                  = 11,520 meters

     11,520 meters is the round trip time.  This divided by 2
(the sender A must hear sender B transmitting) gives a ball park
figure (5,760 meters).  I'd give myself a fudge factor of 30
percent and end up with about 4,000 meters.  Is this close?

Thanks,

Steven Wallace
wallaces@ucs.indiana.edu

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (10/31/90)

In a perfect media, I believe that you are correct; however, fiber optic
cables are *not* perfect, and each batch extruded from the original doped
tube has a vintage, much like a wine - with peculiar characteristics.

What you see in the industry is the FOIRL standard; you may see a 10BASEF
before too long, but I would guess that it would be very much the same
as the FOIRL.

The practical limits (today) appear to be about half of what your fudged
number is: 2km.
|                   Carlo Milono                                           |
|    Personal:    netcom!cmilono@apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere |
| in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." B.Watterson |

pat@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Pat Thaler) (10/31/90)

> How far can you run ethernet over fiber before the collision
> detecting mechanism breaks down?  I came up the following which
> seems too far:

Min frame size is actually preamble + start of frame delimiter + 512,
but the transmitting DTE has to receive the collision signal early
enough to send a 32 bit jam and stop transmitting before it has
transmitted the 512th bit and to stop transmitting soon enough that
collision indication on the media ends before the 512th bit.  This means
that the round trip from first bit transmitted to collision detected
should occur by the 512 bit transmitted including preamble.

However, not all of those 512 can go into media delay.  Delays in
MAUs/transceivers, hubs, AUI/transceiver cables (if any), and DTEs
have to come out of that.  The amount available for the fiber will
vary depending on the type of fiber MAU, presence of AUI cables, etc.
It will be less than 480 bit times.

FOIRL is spec'ed for up to 1 Km.  Some manufacturers support an extended
distance, but about the most I've seen is about 2 Km.  You have to allow
for delay in any repeaters/hubs you use to connect fiber segments together.

For instance, in a rough calculation assuming a single repeater, no AUI
cables, and 4 MAUs end-to-end, I get about 420 bit times available for
the fiber delay.  (This was based on delays for a FOIRL (Fiber Optic
Inter Repeater Link) MAU which is defined in IEEE 802.3 for connections
between repeaters.  Using such a MAU to connect to a DTE is not covered
by the standard, but a number of manufacturers sell such a product.)

Speed of light in fiber is closer to .67c or 2 * 10^8  m/s

So, the calculation for fiber distance in that situation would be:

    420 BT * 100 ns/BT * 2*10^8 m/s / 2 = 4.2 Km.

Now this was a pretty back-of-the-envelope calculation and I may
have forgotten something.  Such a network would be outside of what
is allowed by the current 802.3 standard since the FOIRLs were allowed
to connect directly to the DTEs and the fiber distance is more than
1 Km / segment.

The standard allows up to five segments and four repeaters end-to-end.
Up to three of those can be coax segments of up to 500 m.  The rest
can be link segments (FOIRL or 10BASE-T) with the FOIRL segments allowed
up to 500 m.  There will be 10 MAUs and 10 AUI cables of up to 50 m each.
So the total distance spanned will be:

    5 segments * 500 m/segment + 10 AUIs * 50 m/AUI = 3 Km.

Speed of light is actually a bit faster on thick coax (0.77c), but
collision propagation is slower.  This calculation also had 3 more
repeaters and 6 more MAUs.

Pat Thaler

gwg@fibercom.COM (Greg Goodchild) (10/31/90)

ssw@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Steve Wallace) asks:

>How far can you run Ethernet over fiber before the collision
>detecting mechanism breaks down?  I came up the following which
>seems too far:

.... math deleted.....

>     11,520 meters is the round trip time.  This divided by 2
>(the sender A must hear sender B transmitting) gives a ball park
>figure (5,760 meters).  I'd give myself a fudge factor of 30
>percent and end up with about 4,000 meters.  Is this close?

      Closer than I thought you would get.  You were on the right track in your
approach but there is a little more to it which is implementation dependent.
In order to avoid what would sound like an advertisement, let me say that there
exists a nearly five year old product that implements Ethernet over an active
ring.  The maximum allowable ring circumference is 8km and therefore, if pulled
into a straight line, 4km maximum station to station distance.

      While not quite answering your question, Carlo Milono brings up a good
point when:

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) writes:

>The practical limits (today) appear to be about half of what your fudged
>number is: 2km.

      Knowing that in this sense "practical" means "inexpensive", yes the usual
limit between active nodes is 2km.  In the above mentioned implementation,
neighboring stations on the ring must be within 2km, but because it is a ring
architecture (and not a star) you can implement a physically more encompassing
network.  So, as long as you have at least four stations on your net, two of
them can be 4km apart.

--
Greg Goodchild                 INTERNET: gwg@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.                 UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!gwg