[comp.dcom.lans] Motorola wireless lan?

phillip@bartal.CRLABS.COM (Phillip M. Vogel) (10/25/90)

I read in the Wall Street Journal (Tue, Oct.23 1990) that
Motorola is announcing

---begin unauthorized quote from WSJ---
 "....a new method for sending data within buildings using
digital radio transmission......based on several components,
including an omnidirectional antenna, a miniaturized digital
transmitter and receiver (about the size of a Western-style belt
buckle) and software........These components would operate in the
little-used frequency band of 18 gigahertz and are designed to
allow networks of personal computers and minicomputers to
transmit data to one another at up to 15 million bits per
second."
---end unauthorized quote from WSJ---

Anybody know anything about this?  I'd particularly like to know
who to contact at Motorola to get further information. If anyone
from Motorola is out there, please give me a call.
	Phillip
--
Phillip M. Vogel, President             | 1-800-631-2524 ext. 272
Bartal Design Group, Inc. Englewood, NJ | (201)567-1343   FAX:(201)568-2891

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/25/90)

In article <418@bartal.CRLABS.COM> phillip@bartal.crlabs.com
 (Phillip M. Vogel) writes:

>---begin unauthorized quote from WSJ---
> "....a new method for sending data within buildings using
>digital radio transmission......based on several components,
>including an omnidirectional antenna, a miniaturized digital
>transmitter and receiver

	You are describing one of several varieties of wireless LAN
technology that will be coming to market in the near future.  Unlike
older technologies that sent radio signals on power lines or used
infrared, these new technologies are based on a type of radio
modulation invented many years ago for the military: spread spectrum
technology.

	Spread spectrum involves spreading a "narrow" bandwidth signal
across a much larger spectrum using pseudo-random number sequences
known to both transmitter and receiver.  The spectrum spreading
improves signal to noise dramatically (if done right) in the presence
of multi-path, which is a severe problem at these frequencies in the
steel-lattice buildings most of us work in.

	But beware of corner cutting vendors whose spectrum spreading
is just within FCC definitions.  Not all implementations are created
equal.  Look for at least 10:1 spreading.  More is better, but costly.

	You still have to install wire and repeater units, so you
don't get rid of upfront costs altogether.  What you will eliminate is
the necessity of "installing" new nodes.  The headache you get, of
course, is you will have to look to find out who is using your radio
LAN and you won't know til you look how crowded it is getting.

	And like cellular phones, the spectrum will get crowded and
will be regulated eventually, so your systems are somewhat vulnerable
to future interference.  Remember the early cordless phones?

	I think we will have to build a lot of these systems before we
can find out how many of these wireless LANs can share the same
bandwidth space before the noise floor gets too high.  Does anyone
have an test data for how many wireless LANs can co-exist
independently in the ether?

	--Kent England
	  Boston University

In article <67070@bu.edu.bu.edu> kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>... The headache you get, of
>course, is you will have to look to find out who is using your radio
>LAN...

Including that van parked out in front with your competitor's name on it!
Nobody who has any concern for privacy or confidentiality should even be
considering wireless LANs unless they plan to encrypt all traffic.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (10/29/90)

In article <418@bartal.CRLABS.COM> phillip@bartal.crlabs.com (Phillip M. Vogel) writes:
>---begin unauthorized quote from WSJ---
> "....a new method for sending data within buildings using
>digital radio transmission......based on several components,
>including an omnidirectional antenna, a miniaturized digital
>transmitter and receiver

   Sure hope nobody uses telnet or FTP on a LAN like this. It sounds
*far* too easy to eavesdrop on. I hope I'm missing something here ...
whst is it?

--
 wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington
     (William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W

kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct26.155442.27053@zoo.toronto.edu>
 henry@zoo.toronto.edu (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <67070@bu.edu.bu.edu> kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>>... The headache you get, of
>>course, is you will have to look to find out who is using your radio
>>LAN...
>
>Including that van parked out in front with your competitor's name on it!
>Nobody who has any concern for privacy or confidentiality should even be
>considering wireless LANs unless they plan to encrypt all traffic.
>--

	Henry, that's a good point and I failed to note that spread
spectrum has a certain degree of security that it gains from the
pseudo-random encoding that is used to spread the spectrum.  An
observation of a deterministic pseudo-random number sequence does not
help much in determining the algorithm and seed used to generate the
PSN sequence.  Without the PSN sequence, the actual data cannot be
extracted from the spread spectrum digital sequence.

	Spreading the spectrum makes the signal hard to jam and
pseudo-random encoding sequences make the actual data difficult to
decipher, both features initially attracted the military development.

	A receiver has to have the pseudo-random number algorithm
(easy), seed (hard), and a good idea of the time (a little tricky) to
decipher a spread spectrum signal.  You might find spread spectrum
technology to be sufficiently secure for your purposes, although I
would recommend Kerberos or other robust authentication mechanism for
access to your wireless LAN and for distributing information like seed
number changes to your authorized users.

	Thanks for pointing out this problem area.  It is something
that potential users will have to satisfy themselves about.

	--Kent

pat@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Pat Thaler) (10/30/90)

> >---begin unauthorized quote from WSJ---
> > "....a new method for sending data within buildings using
> >digital radio transmission......based on several components,
> >including an omnidirectional antenna, a miniaturized digital
> >transmitter and receiver
>
>    Sure hope nobody uses telnet or FTP on a LAN like this. It sounds
> *far* too easy to eavesdrop on. I hope I'm missing something here ...
> whst is it?

What you are missing is part of the nature of spread spectrum.  Rather
than transmitting on one frequency, the signal hops around between
several frequencies at a very fast rate.  To receive the signal,
the receiver has to know the pattern.  A receiver listening to just
one frequency will just hear noise.  In theory, several networks
could operate in the same spectrum area with different codes without
interfering with each other.

This seems to eliminate the threat of a casual listener eavesdropping.
I'm not sure how hard it would be for a determined eavesdropper to
crack by trying different patterns or such.

I would agree with much of what Kent posted.  I believe that spread
spectrum is a secondary use on much of the spectrum space alloted
to it and as such must not interfere with the primary use.  The
advangages are: for low power spread spectrum in certain bands
you don't need a site license from the FCC, it is more immune to
noise, it can't be casually overheard.

Pat Thaler

macklin@garnet.berkeley.edu (Macklin Burnham) (10/31/90)

Spread spectrum frequency was originally developed by the military
for secure, jam-proof battlefield communications, I believe.

I have an article in front of me (Network World, 10/29) on the Motorola
wireless lan offering, and it seems that they are not using spread spectrum
(man, that's hard to say!) technology, but rather miniaturized low-power
radio in the 18GHz range. They call it Wireless In-building Network, and
I quote:
"Motorola said WIN provides data security through the use of low-power
18-GHz signals, which lose strength if they pass through walls or doors.
This means that one WIN is essentially invisible to another system that
is more than 120 feet away."

Hmmmmm.
Mack Burnham

In article <67319@bu.edu.bu.edu> kwe@buit13.bu.edu (Kent England) writes:
>An observation of a deterministic pseudo-random number sequence does not
>help much in determining the algorithm and seed used to generate the
>PSN sequence...

Sorry, not true.  Determining the algorithm by observation is indeed hard.
However, the algorithm is usually a property of the system design, i.e.
it is fixed and can in principle be determined by examining another copy
of the system.  Given the algorithm, determining the seed from the
sequence often is no big deal:  methods for cryptanalysis of the more
common types of pseudorandom-number generators have been published.

>... You might find spread spectrum
>technology to be sufficiently secure for your purposes...

Relying on a commercially-available spread-spectrum system for your security
is foolish, I'm afraid.  It will stop a casual eavesdropper but will be only
a minor nuisance to a sophisticated industrial spy.
--
"I don't *want* to be normal!"         | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
"Not to worry."                        |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

Chris.Rusbridge@levels.sait.edu.au (11/02/90)

(Henry Spencer) writes:
>>course, is you will have to look to find out who is using your radio
>>LAN...
>
> Including that van parked out in front with your competitor's name on it!
> Nobody who has any concern for privacy or confidentiality should even be
> considering wireless LANs unless they plan to encrypt all traffic.

Since that van can probably pick up the screen on your terminal,
perhaps you should be considering tempest as well.

Where does one stop?

Chris Rusbridge

Academic Computing Service Manager, SA Institute of Technology
AARNet:		Chris.Rusbridge@sait.edu.au
Phone: 		+61 8 343 3098  Fax: +61 8 349 4213
Post: 		The Levels, SA 5095 Australia