[comp.dcom.lans] Lan over microwave, radio or infrared. Products available ?

dhuber@aut.UUCP (Daniel Huber) (10/26/90)

Hi there

I have to connect two (for now) lans in buildings which are located
about 500m from each other. I want to connect them with at least 10Mb/s.
I can see the other building without problems.
Between the buildings a railway crosses the sight line (electrical
influences ?).

Is there a product available which solves my problem? (In Switzerland!)

Do I have any problems with the PTT to expect when I use this product ?
(The land between the buildings is public, but the Swiss PTT is @#!*&%)

Costs?

Thanks for your answer. Official product information welcome as well.

Daniel

--
Daniel Huber		Tel.	+41 31 52 96 64
Ascom Autelca		Fax.	+41 31 52 53 01

In article <1056@aut.UUCP> dhuber@aut.UUCP (Daniel Huber) writes:
>Do I have any problems with the PTT to expect when I use this product ?
>(The land between the buildings is public, but the Swiss PTT is @#!*&%)

It is entirely possible that your PTT has a legal monopoly on communication
and you cannot install such a device without their approval (or worse, that
you can install only devices they have blessed).  Actually, having public
land in between makes things worse, not better, as there is often an
exemption for communication entirely within your own property.

Microwave and radio links will assuredly require government approval of
some kind, as the radio spectrum (including microwaves) is a scarce
resource, and using it without coordination can cause trouble for
previously-approved users.  Infrared is directional enough that it might
be possible to install that kind of system without anyone noticing, and
most regulatory authorities disclaim any interest in light anyway.
--
The type syntax for C is essentially   | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
unparsable.             --Rob Pike     |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (10/29/90)

You certainly can run enet bridges over microwave, and over I/R links.
Both are readily available commercially, but that is over here where, though
we have perverse telephone companies, we can legally do all sorts of things to
bypass them. I have no idea what is legal in your country.

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (10/31/90)

In article <1056@aut.UUCP> dhuber@aut.UUCP (Daniel Huber) writes:

>Do I have any problems with the PTT to expect when I use this product ?
>(The land between the buildings is public, but the Swiss PTT is @#!*&%)

Daniel, you must be joking,  this is 100% PTT monopoly.

						Simon Poole
 poole@verw.switch.ch / poole@chx400.switch.ch / mcsun!chx400!poole

dean@pico.OZ (Dean Economou) (11/07/90)

Here in Australia, and I believe in the U.S. too, it is permissable
to use point-to-point microwave systems.  For example, one large bank
in Sydney connects its down-town site to a back-up site 10kms away
using a 34 Mbit/s microwave system.  Companies like NEC make to systems,
and I see no reason why you couldn't connect two remote LAN bridges
using this technique.  Of course the systems aren't cheap.

Dean.