[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet T-pieces

rnews@qut.edu.au (11/01/90)

Our cabling supplier has supplied us with some odd-looking "T-pieces" for
use with 10base2 thin ethernet:
     _
 +--+=+___+-------------------+
 |\\|=|   |                   |
 |<>|=|___|                   |
 +--+_+   +-+---+-------+---+-+
            |   |       |   |
           =|   |=     =|   |=
            +---+       +---+

They look as if they would be useful at the end of drop loops, but I'm a
little concerned about possible impedance discontinuities.

Could anyone shed some light on whether they would be suitable.

Thanks in advance,

Chris Owen                           | c_owen@qut.edu.au
Computer Based Education             | voice +61 7 223 2912
Queensland University of Technology  | FAX   +61 7 229 0874
Brisbane, Australia

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (11/03/90)

In article <19678.272ef872@qut.edu.au>, rnews@qut.edu.au writes:
> Our cabling supplier has supplied us with some odd-looking "T-pieces" for
> use with 10base2 thin ethernet:
>      _
>  +--+=+___+-------------------+
>  |\\|=|   |                   |
>  |<>|=|___|                   |
>  +--+_+   +-+---+-------+---+-+
>             |   |       |   |
>            =|   |=     =|   |=
>             +---+       +---+
>
> They look as if they would be useful at the end of drop loops, but I'm a
> little concerned about possible impedance discontinuities.

Neat! I like them. There are various configurations of Ts, and the most
popular, of course, has the 2 females on the 'run' and the male on the
'branch'. One sometimes sees the male swapped with one of the females but
those seem to cost at least 5 times as much!

This configuration should actually make the loop into and out of any PC or
whatever a lot tidier. The shape should cause no electrical problems.

One must realise that the male connection at the left of your diagram must
go directly on the female fitting on the tranceiver (whether built into a
PC card, or a seperate one with an AUI cable to elsewhere), as with any Td
in connection to thinnet.

Who sells these, and how much are they?

bruce@ccavax.camb.com (11/03/90)

In article <19678.272ef872@qut.edu.au>, rnews@qut.edu.au writes:
> Our cabling supplier has supplied us with some odd-looking "T-pieces" for
> use with 10base2 thin ethernet:
>      _
>  +--+=+___+-------------------+
>  |\\|=|   |                   |
>  |<>|=|___|                   |
>  +--+_+   +-+---+-------+---+-+
>             |   |       |   |
>            =|   |=     =|   |=
>             +---+       +---+

They should be fine. Just a T with a slightly different shape.

I think they will make a tidier installation, too! Where do you get them and
MOST IMPORTANT are thay a lot more expensive?

zlcbeowen@qut.edu.au (Chris Owen) (11/07/90)

>> Our cabling supplier has supplied us with some odd-looking "T-pieces" for
>> use with 10base2 thin ethernet:
>>      _
>>  +--+=+___+-------------------+
>>  |\\|=|   |                   |
>>  |<>|=|___|                   |
>>  +--+_+   +-+---+-------+---+-+
>>             |   |       |   |
>>            =|   |=     =|   |=
>>             +---+       +---+
>>
>They should be fine. Just a T with a slightly different shape.
>
>I think they will make a tidier installation, too! Where do you get them and
>MOST IMPORTANT are thay a lot more expensive?

They cost us just the same as the normal ones ... A$5.30.  We got them from

	Data Spectrum
	96 Juliette Street
	Greenslopes
	Queensland 4120