[comp.dcom.lans] Nettiquitte

perry@tigerlily.cs.odu.edu (Perry Lovill) (11/09/90)

In article <70240@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> mckimg@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu (Geoffrey McKim) writes:
>In article <1990Nov6.155258.8676@cs.odu.edu> perry@cs.odu.edu writes:
>>[ Nettiquitte Note: Please e-mail (rather than post) Replies where possible. ]
>>

>I apologize for taking up bandwidth for this seemingly trivial issue, but
>I fail to see how it is "good Nettiquitte" to reply via email rather than
>post a response that might be of interest to several of us.  Is the purpose
>of USENET free private consulting, or is it dissemination of potentially
>useful material to as wide a base as possible of interested people?
>
>Thanks for the time, and again, I apologize for the breach of "Nettiquette".

Oops!  My apologies to the net; I was thinking that it would be implicitly
understood that I would be happy to e-mail copies of any info thus gathered
to anyone requesting it (I've already recv'd & fulfilled one such request),
and post a summary of replies, if requested, as well.

  I see now that it was a mistake to not be explicit about that.  The reason
I did request e-mail replies, rather than postings, was an attempt to be
courteous to fellow comp.dcom.lans (and comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware) readers;
I find myself constantly overwhelmed by the volume of news (both articles
and groups) which I would like to have time to read, and I felt it would be
unfair on my part to burden other readers (not to mention burdening companies
and institutions across the country who PAY $$$ for our priviledge of having
an internet) with a (possibly lengthy) thread concerning something which not
only may be of no interest to them, but is also my own (& my company's) prob-
lem.  !Would that there was a 'comp.sys.novell'!!  Then I would have much
fewer reservations about posted replies (to very specific problems) and a
(subsequent) thread.

  Anyway, once again my apologies to the net; and many thanks to everyone
who has sent a reply.  BTW, the NMI problem has not yet been resolved.
--
Perry Lovill, Old Dominion Univ., Norfolk, VA, USA (PROSOFT Inc., VA Beach, VA)
[perry@cs.odu.edu]  |  [...!uunet!xanth!perry]  |  [...!uunet!xanth!prose!root]