[comp.dcom.lans] UTP limit length, gives me problems for a 2 segment Ethernet conection

nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) (11/09/90)

Dear Lan people,

I have  the following situation:

      |=========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3
       |========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3

I will like to connect the 2 Ethernet segments with these 4 wires.
I can not put a repeater in the middle of the road and I want to have a
10 Mbit/sec connection.

Any suggestions?
I do not want to put a baseband modem at 128 Kbits/sec to have a connection.

Regards

Nicolas Chrissakis                  Office: +30 81 221171, 229302,229368,229346
Systems Analyst                     Fax   : +30 81 229343, 229342
Foundation of Research              Telex : 262389 CCI GR
and Technology - Hellas             E-mail: nicolas@csi.forth.gr
Institute of Computer Science               NICOLAS @ ARIADNE
P.O.Box 1385, Heraklio,                     ariadne!nicolas
Crete Greece 711 10

dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu (David Paul Zimmerman) (11/09/90)

nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:

>      |=========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3
>                 |||| <------- 4 wires (600 meters) under a road.
>       |========================|  <-----Ethernet 802.3

It sounds like those two Ethernets are in separate buildings.  I'm not
sure it is a good idea to connect these networks that way, primarily
concerning the buildings' groundings, and connecting them via that 4
wire copper.  You might instead consider laser or microwave Ethernet,
or fiber Ethernet or FDDI.

						David
--
David Paul Zimmerman                                     dpz@dimacs.rutgers.edu
Systems Programmer						    rutgers!dpz

In article <1522@ariadne.csi.forth.GR> nicolas@csi.forth.gr (Nicolas Chrissakis) writes:
>                  |||| <------- 4 wires (600 meters) under a road.
> I will like to connect the 2 Ethernet segments with these 4 wires.
> I can not put a repeater in the middle of the road and I want to have a
> 10 Mbit/sec connection.

I'm afriad that at 6 times the nominal length, over arbitrary wire there's
no chance that a twisted pair ethernet solution is going to work.  The
best you could do would be a cheap T1 bridge - if you can find one with a
a built-in dsu/csu capbiity you might be able to use it as a short-haul
modem, otherwise you'll have to go with the short-haul modem, something
like a RAD ASM-40 might be able to handle 1 or 2 MBit/sec over 600 M.

> I do not want to put a baseband modem at 128 Kbits/sec to have a connection.

If you can get up to the 1MBit/sec range, the whole works should seem faily
transparent, execpt for a heavily loaded net or on massive data transfers.

> Any suggestions?

Get someone to pull fibre-optic cable under the road...