[comp.dcom.lans] Novell: fear and loathing...

We've traditionally run an Engineering LAN based on TCP/IP and DECnet over
a combination of thick and thin Ethernet and recently a T1 link.  Loading
is a mixture of LAT and Telnet "terminal" connections, with X-window server/
client stuff starting to take off and an ever growing NFS load.

Now our MIS department has recently obtained approval of a plan to implement
"corporate" networking and E-mail services based on Novell software, and
twisted pair ethernet.

I guess the real question is how the Novell protocols rate as good network
neighbors and what kind of loading Novell clients represent to the network?

I know that the Ethernet can be universal, but I'm interested in the pragmatic
issues of maintaining adequate service levels in a mixed environment where
administrative control might no longer completely in our hands.

How should one approach the intermingling of the two networks?  I see several
obvious alternatives:

1) Maintain two completely separate networks, with some kind of mail gateway
   being the only common ground.

2) Use our existing bridge/router (Wellfleet) to provide traffic isolation
   between the networks, but allow various systems on either side to talk to
   each other.

3) Try to isolate the Novell traffic via the router, but permit connection of
   Novell nodes in areas served only by our backbones or where the business
   reporting areas overlap.

4) Allow indiscriminate attachment of Novell and other nodes, and hope that
   departmental clustering and creative bridging will minimize handle loading.

Can anyone suggest which approaches seem to work well, and which are an
invitation to disaster?

Finally, can anyone suggest some references which deal with Novell protocols
and services at a reasonably sophisticated level?  So far, I haven't seen
much beyond babytalk or Novell-centric administrator manuals.

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (11/04/90)

In article <15581@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>We've traditionally run an Engineering LAN based on TCP/IP and DECnet over
>a combination of thick and thin Ethernet and recently a T1 link.  Loading
>is a mixture of LAT and Telnet "terminal" connections, with X-window server/
>client stuff starting to take off and an ever growing NFS load.
>
>Now our MIS department has recently obtained approval of a plan to implement
>"corporate" networking and E-mail services based on Novell software, and
>twisted pair ethernet.

No big deal, we run Novell along with everything else on our campus network.
I recommend that you require all Novell devices to have the ECONFIG option
to give real Blue Book framing, otherwise you get a botched version of
802.3 framing.  The routing protocol is pretty much straight RIP, which
works out all right if there is only one path between two points (as our
network is configured) but is likely to become stupid in the face of multiple
paths between two machines.

-- Walt Haas    haas@ski.utah.edu

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (11/04/90)

We handle IP, DECnet, Appletalk, and Novell on our campuswide network,
using cisco routers.  For convenience in network administration, we
tie the network numbers together.  Novell needs a 32-bit network
address.  We use the IP network number.  Some newer Novell machines
need a separate network number of individual machines.  We use the IP
address of the machine for that.

I don't know of any major misbehaviors that would affect other
protocols.  Novell uses a couple of routing protocols that behave more
or less like RIP, and they use broadcasts in reasonably sensible ways.
The only problem I've heard is that the default setup uses a packet
format that looks like it is IEEE 802.2 (i.e. a length code instead of
a packet type), but isn't.  If a system that understands IEEE 802.2
sees the packet, it finds all ones where it would expect an NSAP.
This is supposed to mean "all destinations".  Some other protocol
stacks apparently get confused.  One solution is to run a utility
called ECONFIG, which sets things up so that Novell uses its assigned
Ethernet type code in the Ethernet header.  This prevents other
protocols from looking at its packets.  I haven't seen this problem
myself, though we use ECONFIG on most of our nets, so I guess I
wouldn't expect to.

I think doing corporate Email using a proprietary protocol such as
Novell is a terrible idea.  Novell is a neat way for PC's to talk to
servers intended to deliver PC-specific services.  But you'd like
connectivity outside of your PC LAN to be done using TCP/IP, so that
you can talk to other types of computer.  If there's a gateway from
Novell's mail to SMTP, then I guess I wouldn't object to using
Novell's mail software, but I'd configure it so the corporate-wide
mail is done using SMTP.

Our Macs and IBM PC's use Appletalk and Novell respectively for PC
services, but also have P.D. TCP/IP software for network-wide
services.  (We also have a site license for Multinet, so our DECnet
machines also run TCP/IP.)  For the IBM PC's, this means using packet
drivers, so that Novell and something like NCSA Telnet can talk to the
Ethernet card at the same time.  I strongly recommend that you do
something like this, so you don't build up islands of mutually
non-communicating systems.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (11/05/90)

In article <Nov.3.23.28.43.1990.9326@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>I don't know of any major misbehaviors that would affect other
>protocols.  Novell uses a couple of routing protocols that behave more
>or less like RIP, and they use broadcasts in reasonably sensible ways.
>The only problem I've heard is that the default setup uses a packet
>format that looks like it is IEEE 802.2 (i.e. a length code instead of
>a packet type), but isn't.  If a system that understands IEEE 802.2
>sees the packet, it finds all ones where it would expect an NSAP.
>This is supposed to mean "all destinations".  Some other protocol
>stacks apparently get confused.  One solution is to run a utility

I've seen Netware's quasi/semi/802.3 servers die with abend errors when
confronted by other real 802.3 protocols (ISO/TP4) running on the same wire.
The "problem" isn't just how other (non)Netware servers "behave" but how
Netware servers themselves "behave".

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

kenh@techbook.com (Ken Haynes) (11/07/90)

In article <15581@cbmvax.commodore.com> grr@cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>We've traditionally run an Engineering LAN based on TCP/IP and DECnet over
>a combination of thick and thin Ethernet and recently a T1 link.  Loading
>is a mixture of LAT and Telnet "terminal" connections, with X-window server/
>client stuff starting to take off and an ever growing NFS load.

 How much load do you currently have and how much additional load do you
 forsee?  Your Novell Dealer should be able to do a network load factor
 analysis to help in this area.  If he can't, e-mail me for the algorithms.

>I guess the real question is how the Novell protocols rate as good network
>neighbors and what kind of loading Novell clients represent to the network?

Novell protocols are a adaptation of Xerox XNS packet structure.  They call it
IPX/SPX.  They are different enough from DEC LAT to require a special program
to allow Novell workstations to talk to a VMS server (Netware is available for
VMS).  The protocols can and will coexist on the same wire as the LAT and
TCP/IP packets.  The only question is loading.  The physical topology is
irrelevant.  Ethernet protocol (packet structure, access method, etc. ) does
not change based upon the wire.  Thin can be mixed with UTP, and thick and
fiber, as long as the devices can pass the data within the prescribed timing
parameters. (in other words your net doesn't get too big)  If it does you need
to think of splitting the net.)

>I know that the Ethernet can be universal, but I'm interested in the pragmatic
>issues of maintaining adequate service levels in a mixed environment where
>administrative control might no longer completely in our hands.

To control the amount of finger pointing and reduce the amount of down time,
I would recommend you get a network diagnostic tool like the Network General
Sniffer or similar device that knows of LAT TCP/IP and IPX/SPX.  You will be
able to view loading and any offending workstations/servers that are taxing
your bandwidth.

>How should one approach the intermingling of the two networks?  I see several
>obvious alternatives:
>
>Can anyone suggest which approaches seem to work well, and which are an
>invitation to disaster?

It depends on the loading of the net.  Novell nets will generate more traffic
than terminal connections.  After all the workstations are doing their disk
I/O over the wire.  That doesn't mean the traffic is going to be enormous.
Disk I/O is hitorically bursty.  If you have CAD/CAM or heavy Database
access, you can expect higher traffic rates.  If you are doing word processing,
you can expect lower.  Splitting the net is always a good idea if you expect
high traffic rates.  It depends on the number of workstations, and the
applications programs you expect to be running on each station.

>Finally, can anyone suggest some references which deal with Novell protocols
>and services at a reasonably sophisticated level?  So far, I haven't seen
>much beyond babytalk or Novell-centric administrator manuals.
>
>--

Novell produces an API reference for more technical discussion on the services
and functions available under Netware.  A local Novell product developer may
be able to help.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Ken
Network Support Services:

UUCP: {nosun, sequent, tessi} kenh@techbook

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (11/07/90)

From article <16197@netcom.UUCP>, by jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden):
> I've seen Netware's quasi/semi/802.3 servers die with abend errors when
> confronted by other real 802.3 protocols (ISO/TP4) running on the same wire.
> The "problem" isn't just how other (non)Netware servers "behave" but how
> Netware servers themselves "behave".

That might be an advantage: George can then point to the Novell servers and
say what wretched network citizens they are, and kick MIS out the door. :-)
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (11/09/90)

In article <Nov.3.23.28.43.1990.9326@athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:
>The only problem I've heard is that the default setup uses a packet
>format that looks like it is IEEE 802.2 (i.e. a length code instead of
>a packet type), but isn't.

This is true of NetWare 286. I think the original reason we "forgot" to
slap an 802.2 header into our 802.3 format IPX ethernet packets was that
folks on the IEEE 802.2 committee were still bickering when we first started
shipping network operating systems. Still, I should point out that as of
NetWare 386 and the availability of our ODI based workstation software
it is now possible to run your IPX communications using:

1) 802.3 packet format with no 802.2 sublayer (ala traditional NetWare 286)
2) Ethernet packet format (ECONFIG'd)
3) 802.2 over 802.3 packet format
4) Ethernet "SNAP" packet format (extended 802.2..... well, sort of!)

The choice is yours. On the server, you make your choice by specifying
the frame format you wish to use when you load the LAN adaptor driver.
For example, you may "load ne2000 frame=ETHERNET_802.2" to use 802.2 over
802.3 packet format, and then bind IPX to this interface. At the client
you specify the frame format in your NET.CFG file. Mine looks like this (a '#'
indicates the line is commented out. To adjust my configuration I simply
adjust the comment outs and reboot. Currently I'm set up to use
Ethernet/Econfig'd encapsulation.....

Link Support
	Buffers 16 1586
	MemPool 4096

Link Driver EXOS205
	Frame              Ethernet_II
#	Frame              Ethernet_802.2
#	Frame              Ethernet_802.3
#	Frame              Ethernet_SNAP
	Protocol IPX  8137 Ethernet_II
#	Protocol IPX    E0 Ethernet_802.2
#	Protocol IPX     0 Ethernet_802.3
#	Protocol IPX  8137 Ethernet_SNAP
	INT    #1  2
	MEM    #1  D0000
	PORT   310

Protocol IPX
	Bind		EXOS205

Both the DOS ODI drivers and the NetWare 386 server ODI drivers support
multiple encapsulations through the same physical interface concurrently.
This allows different protocols to use different encapsulation methodologies
while sharing the same physical LAN adaptor. If you own a NetWare 386
server you should now be happy no matter how religous you are about
protocol formats on the wire. That is unless you own a piece of hardware
that we haven't quite got round to doing an ODI driver for yet.
Don't panic, there coming......

Keith
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
San Jose, California 95131                       Net:   keith@novell.COM

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (11/10/90)

In article <3396@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <16197@netcom.UUCP>, by jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden):
>> I've seen Netware's quasi/semi/802.3 servers die with abend errors when
>> confronted by other real 802.3 protocols (ISO/TP4) running on the same wire.
>> The "problem" isn't just how other (non)Netware servers "behave" but how
>> Netware servers themselves "behave".
>
>That might be an advantage: George can then point to the Novell servers and
>say what wretched network citizens they are, and kick MIS out the door. :-)

It does sound like you should kick MIS a little, but because of their
abilities, not because of the Novell servers.  It doesn't take that
much talent to ECONFIG older NetWare servers and clients to send
standard Ethernet packets instead of "raw" 802.3.  Newer software can
be configured even more easily.

Well, that's not really fair to the MIS folks.  George's MIS people
probably aren't reconfiguring their NetWare network to send ethernet
packets because their many NetWare users would be inconvenienced a
little by the switch over.  Those users would probably be even more
inconvenienced if MIS removed NetWare altogether.

Why, yes, now that you ask, i do happen to work for Novell. :-)

						don provan
						donp@novell.com