[comp.dcom.lans] Novell from 150 miles away

grutz@furp.lonestar.org (Kurt Grutzmacher) (10/28/90)

I have a simple question that somebody might be able to answer:

Other than using a modem and dedicated telephone lines, is it possible to
have a workstation login to a Novell network from over 150 miles away?
Expense is no problem, so a T1 link option or leased line (there would be
from about 6 to 10 workstations located about 150 miles away from the server)
is okay.

The server would be a normal IBM PS/2 running Novell or IBM's network (I don't
know what they call it...).  Please give a list of hardware needed, etc... The
company already has quite a few IBM mainframes tied together via networking,
but has not involved the PC LAN in this scheme (they're really scared of using
PCs...).

Any help would be grateful.  Please email a reply or post, it doesn't matter,
although a post would probably reach me better since the mail route is almost
non-existant here.. :)

grutz

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (10/29/90)

You need either a pair of bridges or Novell routers.  They must be
connected by some sort of communication facility.  With 150 miles
between them this is almost certainly a leased line of some sort.  The
common speeds are 56Kbps or T1 (1.5Mbps), though some vendors now
support intermediate speeds, using something called "fractional T1".
With fractional T1, you	still need a full T1 line between your
facilities and the facilities of the long distance vendor, but you'd
only pay for the bandwidth you need from the long-distance carrier
between the two cities.  What speed line you get is entirely a matter
of what you need and how much the lines cost.

I believe you can get software from Novell that will allow you to use
a PC as a Novell router.  You'd need a PC controller card that can
handle the type of line you decide to use.  A Novell reseller should
be able to advise you on appropriate types of card.  You can also use
a multi-protocol router such as cisco's.  This has the advantage that
it can also handle TCP/IP, DECnet, ISO, etc.  (Under 8.2 it will also
be able to carry IBM SDLC traffic, I believe.)

Basically the pieces you need are the router, the phone line, and a
DSU/CSU, which is a unit that connects the phone line to digital
equipment.  (It's the equivalent of a modem, but for high-speed leased
lines.)  The detailed specs for the DSU/CSU will depend upon the speed
and type of the line.  Generally you should first decide what type of
router you are going to use and what line speed, and let the router
vendor (which would be the Novell reseller if you use a Novell PC as
the router) tell you what kind of DSU/CSU to use.

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (11/02/90)

In article <u9wPR1w163w@furp.lonestar.org>
grutz@furp.lonestar.org (Kurt Grutzmacher) writes:

>I have a simple question that somebody might be able to answer:
>
>Other than using a modem and dedicated telephone lines, is it possible to
>have a workstation login to a Novell network from over 150 miles away?
>Expense is no problem, so a T1 link option or leased line (there would be
>from about 6 to 10 workstations located about 150 miles away from the server)
>is okay.
>
>The server would be a normal IBM PS/2 running Novell or IBM's network (I don't
>know what they call it...).  Please give a list of hardware needed, etc... The
>company already has quite a few IBM mainframes tied together via networking,
>but has not involved the PC LAN in this scheme (they're really scared of using
>PCs...).

We all wish we are as lucky as you - doing a job w/o worrying about the
cost.  I can tell you two methods, and the one that applies depends on
the performance criteria (you didn't mention performance).

1. Cheap, but slow:

   You can set up an async comm server by having an pc on the lan fitted with
   a Hayes compatible MODEM.  A remote control software is installed here
   and the remote PC (PC-Anywhere or Carbon Copy).  Once the MODEMs sync-up
   the remote user takes full control of the LAN connect local PC.  The
   fileserver would never know that the user is hundreds or thousands of miles
   away.

   The response time (most practical to an end user is the screen refresh
   rate) is about 4-6 seconds, even with a pair of 9600 compression MODEMS
   that produce a claimed 19,200 bps throughput.  This is the fastest
   MODEMs available for async comm.

2. Expensive solution:

   Install an X.25 Bridge from Eicon.  It can be config to run in Protected
   Mode (using extended memory) in any 286/386 PC, thus leaving a full 640K
   for the Netware Shell (NET3) and user application.  It can support sub-T1
   speed of up to 115,000bps in full duplex synchronous mode.  It is definitely
   good enough for a single remote user.  We use it to hook up sizable LANs
   with this setup.

You should give the outfit, PDS, a call.  They implement both of these
setup for us and they run great.  (201) 866-4898.  They do contract work
around this Country and Canada.

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (11/06/90)

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes about two solutions.
There is another, available from NOVELL.  They sell a product called
OnLAN, which runs a proxy session for the remote user on a dedicated
PC on the LAN.  The only thing that goes over the modem is keyboard
input and monitor output (screen data).  With 9600 baud modems, this
is pretty fast.  I think 4-6 seconds refresh time overstates things.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws

keith@ca.excelan.com (Keith Brown) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov5.182831.23978@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) writes about two solutions.
>There is another, available from NOVELL.  They sell a product called
>OnLAN, which runs a proxy session for the remote user on a dedicated
>PC on the LAN.

Almost... OnLAN is actually just a part of a product we call the Access Server.
This is a software product that runs on a dedicated 80386 PC and utilises
the 386 chips ability to support multiple virtual 8086 processors. Essentially
it transforms a single 386 PC in to 15 virtual 8086 PC's which can be
dialled in to from remote locations. As the virtual PC is local to the LAN
site, none of the normal client<->server traffic needs to traverse the
async connection (usually a modem link but conceivably it could  be
any kind of serial connection, including a line from an X.25 PAD etc....).
As Lyle points out, only the processor->screen and keyboard->processor traffic
traverse the phone line. Each of the virtual PC's can act as a standard
NetWare client workstation to any servers you may have on the LAN.

You can dial in to an Access Server from virtually anything, including
simple terminals such as a DEC VT100. As long as you only want to run
character orientated applications the Access Server will map the
applications screen accesses to terminal control codes to paint your
screen. If you have something a little more sophisticated such as a PC
or Macintosh, the Access Server can support all the way up to VGA
graphics across the async connection.  OnLAN is actually the "client"
piece of the product that you run on your PC or Mac when you dial in to
the Access Server.  The rule is that the graphics equipment in the
Access Server machine must be greater than or equal to the graphics
capabilities of the machines that dial in to it (to use those graphics).
In reality, we recommend you use the minimum graphics configuration required
to get the job done. This is *not* a tool for running flight simulator
from 150 miles away :-) The more pixels that must traverse the async line, the
slower things will run.

In terms of hardware on which to run the Access Server, you need a 386
PC with at least 4 megabytes of memory. You actually need 1000+(n*750)
meg, where n is the number of virtual DOS PC's your liable to have on
the go concurrently.  I'd recommend the processor has plenty of
megahertz too. The more megahertz the merrier! Don't worry about
anything too special in the disk department though as the idea is that
the virtual PC's use a NetWare server for disk access. They don't (and
indeed can't) use the hard disk thats physically bolted on to the
Access Server itself. You need intelligent async cards to provide the
serial connections themselves and currently the only supported board is
our own 4 port card known effectionately as the "WNIM". Supporting
other async cards is on the list of todo's and please feel free to call
in your votes for exactly which cards we should support to Steve
Goodman on 408 747 4124.  Should anyone be feeling energetic enough to
set about writing a driver for a new async card there is now a
development kit available, details of which can also be obtained from
Steve.

Finally, you need a LAN adaptor of some description. This can
be any LAN adaptor for which there is an IPX.OBJ linkable driver with
one notable exception....  *YOU CAN'T USE A PACKET DRIVER*. If PD's
were implemented as device drivers that were loadable from config.sys
then you would be able to, but they aren't so you can't.... I'd be
interested in hearing from anybody who may have converted a
packetdriver.exe in to a packetdriver.sys. Especially if it's for an NE2000!

Keith
Keith Brown                                      Phone: (408) 473 8308
Novell San Jose Development Centre               Fax:   (408) 433 0775
San Jose, California 95131                       Net:   keith@novell.COM