[comp.dcom.lans] 10BaseT Questions

philb@ptolemy.TEKTRONIX.COM (Phil Biehl;685-2122;60-850;684-2867;orca) (02/03/90)

	Now that it's been tenatively signed off (yeah, sure) is there a
	source one can use to get a copy of the 10BaseT spec?

	Is the connector used in 10BaseT the same as that used in Starlan
	applications (ie: RJ-45)? What's the number of conductors for
	the connector?

	Thanks

	Phil

	Phil Biehl		(503)685-2122
        Tektronix Inc., VSG, MS 60-850, POB 1000, Wilsonville, OR 97070
	{decvax,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!philb or philb@orca.WV.TEK.COM

pat@hprnd.HP.COM (Pat Thaler) (02/06/90)

> 	Now that it's been tenatively signed off (yeah, sure) is there a
> 	source one can use to get a copy of the 10BaseT spec?

The following is the text of a resolution passed at the January 16, 1990
10BASE-T meeting.

Whereas:

The 10BASE-T 802.3 confirmation ballot has unanimously passed with the
conversion of all negative votes to approvals; and

As authorized by the IEEE 802.3 Working Group, the 10BASE-T draft will now
be forwarded to the Technical Committee on Computer Communications (TCCC)
for letter ballot, the next step in the approval process.

Therefore:

The 10BASE-T Task Force has set an objective for approval of the draft by
the IEEE Standards Board Meeting of September 28, 1990.  The following
is the target schedule for completion of the IEEE standards process.

	February 16, 1990:  10BASE-T draft 10 available and sent to
	     TCCC.
	May 15, 1990:  TCCC Ballot completion.

	July 12, 1990:  802 approval to forward to IEEE Standards
	     Board.
	September 28, 1990:  IEEE Standards Board approval.

This schedule is a goal which the 10BASE-T Task Force is working to
achieve.  The TCCC has not previously reviewed the 10BASE-T draft.
If the response to the ballot requires substantial technical change,
the process may be delayed.

Vote: Yes 22 No 0 Abstain 0.

You can obtain a copy of the draft from my secretary, Suzanne Palacios.
Because the drafts contain math font characters and drawings, they are
not available via email.  I prefer not to send out any more drafts until
draft 10 is available (Feb 16).  Suzanne Palacios's address is:

  Hewlett Packard
  Roseville Networks Division  R3NF
  8000 Foothills Blvd.
  Roseville, CA 95678
  (916) 785-5238

> 	Is the connector used in 10BaseT the same as that used in Starlan
> 	applications (ie: RJ-45)? What's the number of conductors for
> 	the connector?

The connector is the same as that used in Type 1BASE5 (StarLAN) and
sometimes refered to as RJ-45.  It has 8 pins of which 4 are used
for 10BASE-T.

> 	Thanks
>
> 	Phil
>
> 	Phil Biehl		(503)685-2122
>         Tektronix Inc., VSG, MS 60-850, POB 1000, Wilsonville, OR 97070
> 	{decvax,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!philb or philb@orca.WV.TEK.COM
> ----------

Pat Thaler
10BASE-T Task Force Chairwoman

njc@nsscb.UUCP (Neil Cherry) (02/22/90)

In article <9317@portia.Stanford.EDU> morgan@jessica.Stanford.EDU (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

>> Looking AT the connector end with the little tabby' thing pointed
>> down, the first pair is pin 1 and 2, the second pair is pin 3 and 6.
>Can anyone explain why the designers chose such a non-intuitive set of
>pins?  Naively one might think that the use of the standard pairs (eg,
>1 and 8 for one pair, 2 and 7 for another) would make more sense.
> - RL "Bob" Morgan

Actually it is a very intuitive design! Consider this plug a RJ-11 into a
RJ-45 jack. notice that the 2 center pins 4 and 5 ARE center (used for house
phones) then 3 and 6 are the 2nd house wires when the jacks were redesigned
for business  they added 2 outter wires to get our present setup. The amazing
part is that the twisted pair was originally use for 3kz bandwidth voice and
now it runs 10MHZ data.
NJC

a20@mindlink.UUCP (Andrew Tuline) (11/15/90)

Our company is moving to a new building, which is a perfect time to convert
to 10BaseT.  In wiring the place up, I'd like to keep to standards as much
as possible, and have a few questions.

1) Which is the preferred Jack positions W-G on pin 1 (the EIA spec), or    W-O
on pin 1 (the optional spec).
2) What's the best Belden part number for the 10BaseT wire?  Is it the 1154A
   IBM Type 3 wire, or something else?  I really would like the wire to adhere
   to the proper colouring standards.
3) We're running a few Novell internetwork addresses to each remote Data
Closet (about 99 meters).  I can either run multiple 4 pair wires, or a
single 12 or 25 pair wire.  Is this possible, or what is the    recommendation?

That should do for now.  P.S. I will most likely be using the Networth 4000
series repeaters because of their multiple (5) ethernet backplanes.

One last thing, what would be a good part number for the 12 or 25 pair? ie.
Belden 1231A for 12 pair, 1232A for 25 pair???