[comp.dcom.lans] AT&T Starlan and Macintosh

claman@csc.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman) (11/15/90)

In other messages in this newsgroup I have seen reference to using
AT&T's Starlan product as a Macintosh server.  When I called AT&T a few
months back they told me that Starlan didn't support Macs.

Has this changed?  I would be very interested in knowing if I can
now use Starlan as a Mac server.

	-Larry Claman   	 claman@csc.mckinsey.com
	 Cambridge Systems Center
	 McKinsey & Co.

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (11/16/90)

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

cmilono@netcom.UUCP (Carlo Milono) (11/16/90)

It's true that AT&T's StarGROUP LAN Manager Server 3.4 has an add-on
module to support Apple(r) File Protocols.  At Interop '90, they showed
the sharing of Microsoft's Excel between a Mac, DOS, OS/2, and IBM LAN
Server OS/2 clients.  Any of those clients could print on the Apple
PostScript printers.

Here are the specifications:

i386/i486 Server
   8MB RAM Minimum
   135MB Hard Disk Minimum
   StarLAN 10 Ethernet Card (10BASET)

Apple Client
   Mac Plus, SE, SE30, II
   System Software 6.0.3 or higher
   AppleShare Client 2.0 or higher
   LaserWriter Driver 5.2
   LaserPrep 5.2
   Apple Talk Phase II driver

And of course, UNIX 4.02 or higher on the Server with StarGROUP LAN MAN 3.4,
and the StarGROUP Server for Macintosh.  There is also another add-on pack
that allows NetBEUI support...*and* (I happen to like this feature:) you
can still have access to UNIX from the DOS side by using the included Kermit
or an INT 14 terminal emulator.  You can even add-on serial ports to the
server and support dumb-terminals for UNIX programs (there is a give-away
deal going on for a free copy of LOTUS 123...I saw it in the WSJ!)

|  Carlo Milono:  netcom!cmilono@apple.com   or   apple!netcom!cmilono     |
|"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,  |
|that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."   - Jonathan Swift   |