[comp.dcom.lans] Novell Portable Netware on RISC Platforms?

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (10/24/90)

We would like to know what RISC-based Unix platforms have Netware available
(now or early 1991), and what their performance is like.  The easiest way
(for me) to measure performance is to compare to a 25/33 MHz 386 Netware
server (faster, slower, much faster, much slower).  We would like to know
whether a medium-sized Unix box (say a MIPS 3000 or 6000) could do useful
work _and_ be a Novell server with reasonable performance for LAN clients.

We have considered PC-NFS, but for a large installation it gets quite
expensive.  Quite a few big sites already have a fair amount of Novell
expertise already.

Any other suggestions would also be welcomed, but Netware looks like
the prime candidate currently ...

 Paul Nash			 Flagship Wide Area Networks (Pty) Ltd
  paul@frcs.UUCP			  ...!ddsw1!proxima!frcs!paul

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (10/28/90)

In article <134@frcs.UUCP> paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

> We would like to know what RISC-based Unix platforms have Netware available
> (now or early 1991), and what their performance is like.  The easiest way

Right now, Portable Netware is available on the Hewlett-Packard
HP9000 series 800 range of RISC (HP-Precision Architecture)
computers.  Performance depends on which box you use -- they range
from 6 users boxes (815) right through to several hundred user boxes
(series 870) and soon will have multi-processor RISC with the
870/200.  Here in Wellington, the local hospitals use an HP9000/855
with over 300 users.  They're not using Portable Netware yet though.

> We would like to know
> whether a medium-sized Unix box (say a MIPS 3000 or 6000) could do useful
> work _and_ be a Novell server with reasonable performance for LAN clients.

Yes, if you want to pay for it.  HP boxes are not cheap.

> We have considered PC-NFS, but for a large installation it gets quite
> expensive.  Quite a few big sites already have a fair amount of Novell
> expertise already.

HP also support PC-NFS, but their primary solution for MS-DOS and
OS/2 heterogenous networking is HP LAN Manager.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.co.nz

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (10/29/90)

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

>We would like to know what RISC-based Unix platforms have Netware available
>(now or early 1991)

Novell Portable Netware is available for DG AViiON systems, which are
based on the Motorola 88K chipset.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer.

djl@mips.COM (Dan Levin) (10/30/90)

In article <134@frcs.UUCP>, paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

> We would like to know what RISC-based Unix platforms have Netware available
> (now or early 1991), and what their performance is like.

MIPS has announced Netware available on our entire range of systems at
the end of 1990.  The product is currently in Beta Test.  We are not
publishing specific performance numbers, but expect that our implementation
will be roughly comparable to the aformentioned 386 PC for a single
network.  For multiple networks, one might expect a MIPS implementation
to scale better than a PC.

You hit the nail on the head with you comment "and can do something else
useful at the same time."  We expect to sell Netware on machines that
also run a dbms, or a stats package, or some other cycle consuming
application.
--
			***dan

{decwrl,pyramid,ames}!mips!djl         djl@mips.com (No, Really! Trust Me.)

ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) (10/30/90)

In article <134@frcs.UUCP> paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:

>We would like to know what RISC-based Unix platforms have Netware available
>(now or early 1991), and what their performance is like.

>  paul@frcs.UUCP			  ...!ddsw1!proxima!frcs!paul

Portable Netware has been ported to MIPS though I don't remember if it
was a DEC or MIPS machine.  The performance was about the same as
native Netware 386 which was disappointing to hear.  I think a RISC
machine with PNW should be able to beat the pants off of Netware 386.
The main bottleneck appears to be with the AT&T STREAMS code upon which
PNW is built.

BTW, don't any Novell guys read this group?  I would be nice if they
could help inject some reality into some of these discussions...
--
Ron Holt	ron@Eyring.COM  uunet!lanai!ron
Eyring Inc.	+1 801-375-2434 x434

lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) (11/01/90)

ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) writes:

>Portable Netware has been ported to MIPS though I don't remember if it
>was a DEC or MIPS machine.

It was a MIPS machine, they have announced this product in this group,
it should be available by the beginning of '91, I gather.

>The performance was about the same as
>native Netware 386 which was disappointing to hear.

The way I heard it, it was faster.  Anyway, I think that's pretty good.

>I think a RISC machine with PNW should be able to beat the pants off
>of Netware 386.
>The main bottleneck appears to be with the AT&T
>STREAMS code upon which PNW is built.

I'm wondering what you base this opinion on.  There's not a whole lot
to STREAMS.  I don't think there really is any particular bottleneck
in PNW (if there is, I'd sure like to know it) relative to Native.  I
think the performance difference can be easily explained by noting that
the engineers working on Native NetWare have scraped for every smidgen
of performance they can, by eliminating the OS (practically) and every
bit of overhead they can find, and by writing Native (almost?) entirely
in machine code -- no C for these guys, it's too slow.  On the other
hand, Portable is written with the distinct goal of being... easy to
port to a wide variety of hardware and OSs, not just UNIX.  So they
haven't been able to design for quite the same degree of performance.
Furthermore, UNIX has a LOT of overhead relative to NetWare OS.  And
there's a lot more going on on a UNIX box (other processes, that is)
than under NetWare.

The lower performance of Portable is just the price you pay for having
a general purpose system that can do other things besides be a NetWare
server.   BTW, have you seen the performance differences between an
ordinary UNIX box and an optimized NFS server?  Same situation, only
not even as extreme as the difference between Portable and Native.

>BTW, don't any Novell guys read this group?  I would be nice if they
>could help inject some reality into some of these discussions...

I am sure they are bound by non-disclosure agreements (if not simply
good sense) not to publicize any information on activities by other
companies wrt Portable.  They are probably bound by their own good
sense not to get into comparisons of Portable and Native.

--
Lyle                      Wang             lws@comm.wang.com
508 967 2322         Lowell, MA, USA       uunet!comm.wang.com!lws

dougm@ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) (11/01/90)

In article <1990Oct31.175210.9255@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>I'm wondering what you base this opinion on.  There's not a whole lot
>to STREAMS.  I don't think there really is any particular bottleneck
>in PNW (if there is, I'd sure like to know it) relative to Native.  I

STREAMS does have some problems that have adverse effects on performance.
We've seen them with other protocol stacks as well and it takes a lot
of work to work around the problems (mostly related to STREAMS scheduling
of queues).

>The lower performance of Portable is just the price you pay for having
>a general purpose system that can do other things besides be a NetWare
>server.   BTW, have you seen the performance differences between an
>ordinary UNIX box and an optimized NFS server?  Same situation, only
>not even as extreme as the difference between Portable and Native.

The performance difference is much greater than one would expect.
I suspect it is just the level of maturity of the product and should
improve over time but it is still a lot worse than you should be able
to get out of a UNIX implementation.

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (11/02/90)

In article <134@frcs.UUCP> paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:
>We would like to know what RISC-based Unix platforms have Netware available
>(now or early 1991), and what their performance is like.  The easiest way
>(for me) to measure performance is to compare to a 25/33 MHz 386 Netware
>server (faster, slower, much faster, much slower).  We would like to know
>whether a medium-sized Unix box (say a MIPS 3000 or 6000) could do useful
>work _and_ be a Novell server with reasonable performance for LAN clients.
> [stuff deleted]

I recently have an opportunity to work at a client's site where there
are Netware 2.15 SFT installed running in a HP RS-20 (386/20) and Portable
Netware running in a DEC machine.  Now although the scenerio is not ideal
for Mr. Nash's question it does give some light on the performance of
different Netware platform.

The NW 2.15 is necessary, because there are MACs on the LAN.  I never told
why Portable NW being there.  Now, the PC based NW have 84 users and the
DEC have only 31.  Doing things like VT-100 emulation shows that response
time from 2.15 is about 0.5-1.5 sec and 2-5 sec for the Portable.  Both
LANs access the same host(DEC).

So, in my opinion, with Netware 386 being available a PC fileserver can
beat any Portable configuration, RISC or not.  I believe the reason for
this is that on the PC, NW was designed and tune for the hardware.  And
in the Portable environment it has to run as an application and so many
low level activities are out of its control.

Paul

ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.175210.9255@comm.wang.com> lws@comm.wang.com (Lyle Seaman) writes:

>>I think a RISC machine with PNW should be able to beat the pants off
>>of Netware 386.
>>The main bottleneck appears to be with the AT&T
>>STREAMS code upon which PNW is built.
>
>I'm wondering what you base this opinion on.

Most of the information I have on Netware comes from the many people I
know at Novell (I live in Provo, Utah - Novell's headquarters).  In
particular, my comment on STREAMs comes from an informal presentation
given by the director of the PNW group to a CS class at BYU.  According
to my notes (which may be incorrect, but I don't think so), one of the
biggest bottleneck in PNW performance is the STREAMs scheduling
latency.  (Ethernet hardware receives packet, finds buffer in which to
copy data, links it on a STREAMs queue, waits for clock interrupt to
reschedule the process to run...).  This is not my opinion, just what was
mentioned in the presentation.

There may be other factors that contribute to PNW's performance.
My recent posting has generated several email replies.  A few unattributed
quotes:

  "I'm not convinced its just the STREAMS code.  We looked at it and
  there are some really bad sections of code that cause problems to the
  STREAMS scheduler.  Basically they bypass some STREAMS mechanisms
  where they shouldn't to buy some performance only to lose it due to
  other things.  Also, there are sections of code that are quite amusing
  in how poorly written they are.  The code was essentially written by
  non-UNIX/non-C programmers as far as I can tell."

Another viewer writes:

  "As for the bottleneck being the Streams code, after looking at it, we
  determined that it was mostly the pnw code.  <censored> also VARs PNW.
  In my opinion, (and I didn't tell you this!), their code is some of the
  worst most inefficient code I've seen."

>So they
>haven't been able to design for quite the same degree of performance.
>Furthermore, UNIX has a LOT of overhead relative to NetWare OS.

I agree.  Novell cannot optimize Portable NetWare at the expense of
portability.  However, the OEMs who license PNW certain can.  Native
Netware has the disadvantage of being supported on only one hardware
platform though it is highly optimized for that platform.  With faster
chips and systems, I feel that a Netware server that's faster than
Netware 386 could be built even if it is Unix based.

>And
>there's a lot more going on on a UNIX box (other processes, that is)
>than under NetWare.

Under a production environment, sure, other processes are running.  But
when people (including Novell) benchmark PWN, I'm sure that they don't
have unneeded processes running at the time.

>The lower performance of Portable is just the price you pay for having
>a general purpose system that can do other things besides be a NetWare
>server.

Like I said, I think OEMs such as DG, MIPS, NCR, etc. ought to consider
optimizing THEIR port of PNW.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a Netware bashing discussion.  But I am
interested in discussing issues involving network performance and
understanding where the real problems are in network performance.

>>BTW, don't any Novell guys read this group?  I would be nice if they
>>could help inject some reality into some of these discussions...
>
>I am sure they are bound by non-disclosure agreements (if not simply
>good sense) not to publicize any information on activities by other
>companies wrt Portable.  They are probably bound by their own good
>sense not to get into comparisons of Portable and Native.

Well, they get asked to compare PNW and Native everyday and I'm sure
they are used to it by now.  It just that I see many people posting
information that clarifies their company's products without violating
any non-disclosure agreements.  I know they have an Internet connection,
maybe nobody there has access to Netnews.  Considering the amount of
traffic in this group that relates to NetWare, I would think Novell
would be interested in this group.
--

morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) (11/06/90)

> Considering the amount of traffic in this group that relates to
> NetWare, I would think Novell would be interested in this group.

Well, no one has asked this for a while, so I'll ask again.  Can some
NetWare-involved person start a NetWare-specific newsgroup?  Lord
knows there's more than enough traffic about NetWare to fill a couple
of normal newsgroups.  That way those of interested in LANs
themselves, rather than in some specific application running on some
LAN-attached computers, can get a word in edgewise.

Some Novell person started a move in this direction a year or more
ago.  I think they had even chosen a name for the group
(comp.sys.novell, as I recall).  I hope someone can revive this.

 - RL "Bob" Morgan
   Networking Systems
   Stanford

rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au (Owen Baker) (11/07/90)

morgan@jessica.stanford.edu (RL "Bob" Morgan) writes:

>Well, no one has asked this for a while, so I'll ask again.  Can some
>NetWare-involved person start a NetWare-specific newsgroup?  Lord
>knows there's more than enough traffic about NetWare to fill a couple
>of normal newsgroups.  That way those of interested in LANs
>themselves, rather than in some specific application running on some
>LAN-attached computers, can get a word in edgewise.

>Some Novell person started a move in this direction a year or more
>ago.  I think they had even chosen a name for the group
>(comp.sys.novell, as I recall).  I hope someone can revive this.

I agree, I think most people like me who are reading this group for Novell
information would also prefer not to have to wade through the "10BaseT"
discussions! How about a new group for Novell (again)??

+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
|  Owen Baker                   |  Communication Services Unit              |
|  rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au   |  RMIT - Victoria University of Technology |
|  (61) (3) 660-2038            |  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia           |
+-------------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

donp@na.excelan.com (don provan) (11/07/90)

In article <1990Nov1.192549.11283@Eyring.COM> ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) writes:
>Most of the information I have on Netware comes from the many people I
>know at Novell (I live in Provo, Utah - Novell's headquarters).  In
>particular, my comment on STREAMs comes from an informal presentation
>given by the director of the PNW group to a CS class at BYU.

One thing to keep in mind is that when someone from Novell's Provo
engineering group looks at streams, they are probably comparing it to
the standard NetWare SPX interface.  In addition, they probably
compare SPX applications running over the SPX interface, which is the
interface they were designed for, and with SPX applications running
over the streams interface, which isn't.  In general, this means they
are looking at query/reply applications, which are great for the SPX
interface and applications but not particularly flattering for streams.

>Under a production environment, sure, other processes are running.  But
>when people (including Novell) benchmark PWN, I'm sure that they don't
>have unneeded processes running at the time.

The environment has overhead for anticipated processes, whether any
other processes are running or not.  In particular, NetWare itself
will normally be a process and subject to normal process latencies.

>I know they have an Internet connection,
>maybe nobody there has access to Netnews.

Novell is a distributed company.  Some sites have netnews access.
Some sites don't know what netnews is.  I believe the Portable NetWare
group does have netnews access, as it happens, but i doubt they follow
this group very closely.

>Considering the amount of
>traffic in this group that relates to NetWare, I would think Novell
>would be interested in this group.

Actually, the amount of NetWare traffic in this group has just
recently gone up.  Previously is was mostly for hardware discussions.
To me this indicates that it's time for a specific NetWare news group.

						don provan
						donp@novell.com

bryan_cardoza@npd.novell.com (11/10/90)

In article <2320@excelan.COM> donp@novell.com (don provan) writes:
>In article <1990Nov1.192549.11283@Eyring.COM> ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) writes:
>>Most of the information I have on Netware comes from the many people I
>>know at Novell (I live in Provo, Utah - Novell's headquarters).  In
>>particular, my comment on STREAMs comes from an informal presentation
>>given by the director of the PNW group to a CS class at BYU.
>
>One thing to keep in mind is that when someone from Novell's Provo
>engineering group looks at streams, they are probably comparing it to
>the standard NetWare SPX interface.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all of the people working at
Novell NPD in Provo have come out of the PC world.  Currently, over
half of the people assigned to the Portable NetWare project have come
from hardware companies where they worked with Unix.  (As has been
indicated, that wasn't true when the project started.)

Most of the people Ron Holt knows at Novell used to work for him at a
small manufacturer of m68k- and m88k-based Unix and Pick/Unix systems.

Regarding Novell participation in Usenet Newsgroups, as far as the
NetWare Products Division is concerned (i.e. Provo, UT), very few
people outside of the Portable NetWare group have access to netnews.

Additionally, company policy is very strict concerning the release of
information.  The comments which Mr. Provan has made regarding what
people in Provo know or don't know could put his job in jeopardy.

If any of the Portable NetWare vendors would like to interract with me
directly regarding any or all of the performance issues which have been
mentioned (STREAMs scheduling/implementation details, etc.), I would be
glad to talk to them.  We have eachother's phone numbers and e-mail
addresses.  What they do with the information is their business, as
long as they do not violate non-disclosure agreements with Novell.

--
Bryan Cardoza                             <Bryan_Cardoza@NPD.Novell.COM>
Software Engineer

ron@Eyring.COM (Ron Holt) (11/16/90)

In article <2320@excelan.COM> donp@novell.com (don provan) writes:

>Actually, the amount of NetWare traffic in this group has just
>recently gone up.  Previously is was mostly for hardware discussions.
>To me this indicates that it's time for a specific NetWare news group.

The following was posted two weeks ago.  Does anybody know what
happened to the creation of comp.sys.novell?

Ron