[comp.dcom.lans] Macs, NetWare w/MAC VAP, and Appleshare too?

medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) (11/12/90)

I'm working on a connectivity proposal for some new facilities.  Current
workstations are about 35% Mac and 65% DOS.  There is a need for
continued access to Appleshare servers to support and configure student
computing facilities.  However, I anticipate that most administrative
data will be on a NetWare/286 server running Mac VAP.

I have never seen or used Mac VAP.  Is it possible for a Mac workstation
to have simultaneous access to both the Mac server running Appleshare
*AND* the NetWare server running Mac VAP?  If so, is there anything
special I need to know about this configuration?

On the other side of the coin, is there any way for a DOS workstation to
access both the NetWare and Appleshare servers?

Mac connectivity is a new frontier for me.  Any experience you can share
will be most welcome.
Mark Medici/SysProg3 * Rutgers University/CS-USG * medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu

rick@lrark.UUCP (Rick Mobley) (11/16/90)

In article <Nov.11.19.41.11.1990.27448@elbereth.rutgers.edu> medici@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Mark Medici) writes:
 >There is a need for continued access to Appleshare servers ...
 >
 >I have never seen or used Mac VAP.  Is it possible for a Mac workstation
 >to have simultaneous access to both the Mac server running Appleshare
 >*AND* the NetWare server running Mac VAP?  If so, is there anything
 >special I need to know about this configuration?

Yes, you can have the NetWare server and the Appleshare server both on the
desktop. I even put a 3-Com server on the desktop at the same time. I can
easily copy files from any server to any other server as well as my local
drive.

 >On the other side of the coin, is there any way for a DOS workstation to
 >access both the NetWare and Appleshare servers?

I don't think so, however the DOS workstation can send postscript files to
a LaserWriter on the Appleshare side.

 >Mac connectivity is a new frontier for me.  Any experience you can share
 >will be most welcome.

Our Businessland engineers do this quite often. VAPS require extra memory in
the NetWare server, so don't cut it close due to processes running on the
server.

--
rick@lrark.UUCP       *    bang path --> uunet!ddi1!lrark!rick    *
Ricky Mobley          *          LRTUG (501) 224-9454             *