[comp.dcom.lans] Abend: NMI Interrupt

MICHAEL.SOPER@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Michael Soper) (11/13/90)

My file server has been crashing with the same error.  In my case, server
operation is less critical to daily operations, so I'm taking my time trying
to figure out the problem.  So far, I've replaced SIMMs on the extended memory
board, and the board itself in an attempt to fix things.  I haven't tested yet
with the board replacement.  I, too, am heading down the hardware lane on this
one.  DOS memory diagnositics detected no problem with memory either.

My configuration:

   - 286 10Mhz CPU, 1 mono/no lpt, 1 com, 1 360K f1, 2.5Mb RAM
   - QIC-02 tape controller card from Archive
   - 30 and 40Mb ST506 disk drives
   - Mountain 4150 streamer
   - Novell SFT NetWare v2.15

I can offer no more advice about the nature of the problem, but will be
looking at related mail.  Please send along solution if not posted.

Thanks!

rick@lrark.UUCP (Rick Mobley) (11/16/90)

In article <aw1ewh.2or@wang.com> Michael.Soper@office.wang.com writes:
 >My file server has been crashing with the same error.
 >So far, I've replaced SIMMs on the extended memory board, and the
 >board itself in an attempt to fix things.
 >
 >My configuration:
 >
 >   - 286 10Mhz CPU, 1 mono/no lpt, 1 com, 1 360K f1, 2.5Mb RAM
 >   - 30 and 40Mb ST506 disk drives
 >   - Novell SFT NetWare v2.15

I have my doubts that you have enough memory. If you hash the drives and
you have SFT turned on you might be right on the edge of RAM. Running out
of process space (RAM) gives little or no real indication of what is
really happening. ABEND is just that "ABnormal END" and can happen when
the stack gets overrun.

--
rick@lrark.UUCP       *    bang path --> uunet!ddi1!lrark!rick    *
Ricky Mobley          *          LRTUG (501) 224-9454             *