[comp.dcom.lans] Novell Memory Conficts With IBM PER. COMM 3270

9531fost@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (11/16/90)

We are in the early stages of running a Token Ring network
using Novell Netware 386 ver 3.1.  We also have an IBM Main
frame which we access from our workstations using IBM Personal
Communications 3270 emulation software.  The problem seems to
be that the Netware ipx and net shells are having memory conflicts
with the emulation software.  When ipx and the net4 shell is loaded
first the emulation software does not function properly, and thus
we can not access the mainframe Host.  If a Host connection is
establish before loading the ipx and net shell the entire work
station locks up with in minutes after loading ipx and the shell.
Is there a way to properly load the ipx, net shell and emulation
software that will allow them to run conflict free?
We would appreciate any ideas, as well as finding out which emulators
have been used successfully with Netware 386.

louie@cellar.bae.bellcore.com (Paul Louie) (11/17/90)

In article <7251@hub.ucsb.edu> 9531fost@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu writes:

>The problem seems to
>be that the Netware ipx and net shells are having memory conflicts
>with the emulation software.  When ipx and the net4 shell is loaded
>first the emulation software does not function properly, and thus
>we can not access the mainframe Host.  If a Host connection is
>establish before loading the ipx and net shell the entire work
>station locks up with in minutes after loading ipx and the shell.
>Is there a way to properly load the ipx, net shell and emulation
>software that will allow them to run conflict free?

As a systems integrator, I got burnt by DOS 4 many times.  Try your
setup with DOS 3.3.  The easiest way to do this is to gen a NET3, boot up
your station with a 3.3 floppy, then IPX, NET3, and then 3270.

Paul