[comp.dcom.lans] Looking for SMB/NETBIOS/RFC1001/RFC1002 server product

xxseub@osprey (Steven Eubanks) (11/10/90)

	I am interested in examining NETBIOS/SMB servers for both *NIX
and VMS-based platforms.  I'm aware of one company call Syntax Systems
having a product in this area.  Are there others?  Company names and phone
numbers would be appreciated as well as any experiences with this type of
product (good and/or bad).

Thanks in advance!

Steve
--
Steven W. Eubanks,  EDS/LIMS			NASA Lewis Research Center
Internet:xxseub@osprey.lerc.nasa.gov		21000 Brookpark Rd.

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (11/19/90)

xxseub@osprey (Steven Eubanks) writes:

>	I am interested in examining NETBIOS/SMB servers for both *NIX
>and VMS-based platforms.  I'm aware of one company call Syntax Systems
>having a product in this area.  Are there others?  Company names and phone
>numbers would be appreciated as well as any experiences with this type of
>product (good and/or bad).

>Thanks in advance!

>Steve

Hewlett Packard now, SCO for Q1 '91 (they tell me), and a number of others
for the near future have all committed to providing LM/X, running SMB/NB/TCP.

We have tried the existing SCO client in-house, talking to a 3Com 3+ Open
Lan Manager server over IP, and it seemed to work O.K......

On a general point, the number of PC LANS based around Lan Manager and
the Server Message Block scheme seems to vindicate the technique - the
testing time will be with the general availability of LM/X.

(No, this does not represent an official statement on behalf of and Logitek
Group company - I am to blame if anyone disagrees.)

--
| I've got a little black book with my poems in, |     Martin O'Nions    |