[comp.dcom.lans] Token ring cabling - HELP!!

fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) (11/13/90)

I just recently purchased two 4 Mbit token ring cards for the IBM PC.

Unfortunately, the guy who sold them to me gave me the cards, some software
and some photocopied pages from a manual giving some miscellaneous infor-
mation about how to install the software, etc., but very little on wiring
a TR network (just a pinout diagram of the DB9 connector).

What's I'd like to do is hook up two computers and two computers only with
TR.  I've talked with a couple people and they tell me I need a MAU.  I picked
up my Inmac catalog and found the price to be out of my range ($595 for an 8
station MAU).

Do I really, absolutely need a MAU for a two station network or can I build
something myself?  (I've dabbled in electronics a bit, so I'm not completely
helpless)

Reply by e-mail.  Thanks in advance!

Thank you and happy hunting!		Actually: Ethan M. Young
"If Linus looked like Worf, would you	Internet: fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu
 try to take his blanket away?"		Bitnet (??): usergac0@rpitsmts.bitnet
	- dorsai@pawl.rpi.edu		Disclaimer: Who said what?

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (11/13/90)

In article <9+&^CS&@rpi.edu> fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
>What's I'd like to do is hook up two computers and two computers only with
>TR.  I've talked with a couple people and they tell me I need a MAU.  I
>picked up my Inmac catalog and found the price to be out of my range
>($595 for an 8 station MAU)...

Hm, sounds like at this point the most cost-effective decision would be
to throw the TR cards in the trash and by two Ethernet cards.  Not such
an unusual situation...

-- Walt

rick@lrark.UUCP (Rick Mobley) (11/16/90)

In article <9+&^CS&@rpi.edu> fargo@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Irwin M. Fargo) writes:
 >I just recently purchased two 4 Mbit token ring cards for the IBM PC.
 >
 >What's I'd like to do is hook up two computers and two computers only with
 >TR.  I've talked with a couple people and they tell me I need a MAU.

A MAU would be nice, but with only two computers you can simply plug them
together. You will need a program to fool the systems in thinking they have
successfully inserted themselves into a network via a MAU. That is because
the adapter runs some diagnostics to determine if it actually can click the
relay in the MAU.

 >Do I really, absolutely need a MAU for a two station network or can I build
 >something myself?  (I've dabbled in electronics a bit, so I'm not completely
 >helpless)

If you ever go beyond two stations you will need a MAU. There isn't lots of
electronics inside the MAU, but I don't have a schematic.

 >Reply by e-mail.  Thanks in advance!

I thought this might be interesting to all, so I chose to submit instead of
e-mail.

--
rick@lrark.UUCP       *    bang path --> uunet!ddi1!lrark!rick    *
Ricky Mobley          *          LRTUG (501) 224-9454             *

chw@hpctdlb.HP.COM (Charlie Whiteside) (11/19/90)

The way that TRN card do a self test and a wire lobe
test would make it pretty tough to just wire the
two PC's together. The cards would report a lobe
failure without the appropriate load current required
to drive the relays in a normal MAU.  If you have a
lot of time on your hands and know how to do 8 MHz
type circuitry and can keep it balanced you could
probably build a MAU for ~$100 for two ports.
The 802.5 IEEE book has a block diagram of how
they should appear on Page 79.
 All in all, I'd agree with Walt about picking
up 2 ethernet cards. I'd first sell the .5 cards
to raise the money though! With ethernet (.3) you
could increase your network size by merely adding
more RG-58 and another T connector.

Good Luck,

Charlie