[comp.dcom.lans] Novell Portable Netware vs. LM/X on RISC Platforms?

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (11/16/90)

Portable Netware seems to have rebounded just as the LM/X is beginning
to find a market.  Could some representatives from each side compare
and contrast LM/X and Portable Netware in terms of:

	- PC Services

	- Unix, TCP/IP, Kerberos, NFS and AFS interoperability

	- Performance

	- Availability for SPARC and MIPSco hardware

Also, given that the OSF has picked LM/X as part of its DCE
technology, are there any overriding reasons to go with PN
instead?  (I guess I should add: no flaming please).

-Ittai

martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) (11/19/90)

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) writes:

>Portable Netware seems to have rebounded just as the LM/X is beginning
>to find a market.  Could some representatives from each side compare
>and contrast LM/X and Portable Netware in terms of:

>	- PC Services

>	- Unix, TCP/IP, Kerberos, NFS and AFS interoperability

>	- Performance

>	- Availability for SPARC and MIPSco hardware

>Also, given that the OSF has picked LM/X as part of its DCE
>technology, are there any overriding reasons to go with PN
>instead?  (I guess I should add: no flaming please).

>-Ittai

The biggest problem that PN looks like facing at the moment is the UNIX
interoperability point. All the versions that I've looked at, and all the
"real-soon-now" promises give mediocre UNIX/PC file sharing (does anybody
out there really like the hybrid user scheme?), and no UNIX-UNIX comms.

I like NetWare as a PC LAN, and had high hopes for Portable NetWare, but
for the moment I'm waiting for SCO to release LM/X Server as the neatest
solution on the block.

I think that it is going to take some time, and a lot of feedback from
the OEMs to make PN an attractive choice where NetWare is not already part
of the system, but I'm looking forward to seeing the end product!

P.S. Would anyone like to speculate as to what Novell's NetWare386 IP/NFS
Protocol Service Gateway is going to do to this market?

(In the absence of a disclaimer on the .signature, the above should NOT
be taken as representing the views of any Logitek Group company)

--
+------------------------------------------------+-----------------------+
| I've got a little black book with my poems in, |     Martin O'Nions    |

paul@actrix.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) (11/20/90)

In article <martino.658944115@krypton> martino@logitek.co.uk (Martin O'Nions) writes:
> I like NetWare as a PC LAN, and had high hopes for Portable NetWare, but
> for the moment I'm waiting for SCO to release LM/X Server as the neatest
> solution on the block.

Why are you waiting?  WHy not just walk into Hewlett-Packard, and
buy their version of LM/X for SCO.  Works just fine.

> I think that it is going to take some time, and a lot of feedback from
> the OEMs to make PN an attractive choice where NetWare is not already part
> of the system, but I'm looking forward to seeing the end product!

HP also have both PN and LM/X for their RISC systems, and LM/X for
their 680x0 and 80[34]86 platforms, using HP-UX and SCO UNIX.

> (In the absence of a disclaimer on the .signature, the above should NOT
> be taken as representing the views of any Logitek Group company)

I guess that's why you don't buy from HP.
--
Paul Gillingwater, paul@actrix.gen.nz