[comp.dcom.lans] Sun Workstation problems

epl@doc.ic.ac.uk (Edward Peter Lennon) (11/20/90)

Hello netters,
           A simple inquiry for some of you but a problem that is
causing me some problems.I am currently re-arranging a laboratory
which used to contain a total of 4 sun workstations.3 of the suns
are being relocated to a room which has a multiport transciever
with 3 spare ports on it.2 of the relocated suns are "sun 3's"
and they work fine but the other one is a "sun 2" which does not
work reporting a transciever cable problem.The other sun is a
"sun 2" and is staying put.We used a 3Com corporation transciever
model 3c100 (class2)for the "sun 2's".I know class 2 transcievers
are different than class 1 transcievers but I dont Know what they
are,can anybody help?.Is there any chance that I might get the
sun 2 on the multiport transciever working?.Thanks.
                  Peter Lennon.

cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) (11/21/90)

epl@doc.ic.ac.uk (Edward Peter Lennon) writes:

>Hello netters,
> [problem with a Sun-2 which won't work with the following...]
>We used a 3Com corporation transciever
>model 3c100 (class2)for the "sun 2's".

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but I've seen Solbourne
Series-4 machines which wouldn't work with a DEC DELNI.  Seems
that they look for the transceiver drawing power from the host,
and if the transceiver is a self-powered device like a DELNI,
it refuses to believe that it is connected to anything.  On the
Solbourne, you can move a jumper on the CPU board to fix this.
Don't know about a Sun-2, unfortunately.

--
David Cornutt, New Technology Inc., Huntsville, AL  (205) 461-6457
(cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov; some insane route applies)

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (11/21/90)

cornutt@freedom.msfc.nasa.gov (David Cornutt) writes:
> Seems that they look for the transceiver drawing power from the host, and
> if the transceiver is a self-powered device like a DELNI, it refuses to
> believe that it is connected to anything.

	Seems pretty brain-damaged to me, but if that's really the case,
you should be able to fake it out with an appropriately sized resistor
shorting the power pair right in the connector hood.  I don't know offhand
how much power a xciever is supposed to draw, so I don't know if you might
have a problem with heat dissipation.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"