[comp.dcom.lans] Novice 10BaseT questions.

cnolan@vax1.tcd.ie (11/15/90)

Hi,
We're considering going to 10BaseT to connect up one of our buildings that is
already wired for RS-232.  From what I've seen this would seem to be the way to
go.

Could anyone just fill me in on the specs for 10BaseT, ie max cable lenght,
type of cable, etc.  Should the existing wiring be suitable?

Also can anyone advise on a suitable hub/concentrator with 10Base2 in, multiple
10BaseT out.  What are the favourite cards for use in PCs?  We currently use
D-Link's DE 100.

Thanks in advance ...

       	 	Conor Nolan			Phone:	772941 (X1741)
           	Microelectronics Dept.		Fax:	772442
            	Trinity College
	      	Dublin 2			cnolan@mee.tcd.ie
  	     	IRELAND				ampere::cnolan

karl@lvs.Eng.Sun.COM (Karl Auerbach) (11/16/90)

In article <7271.27417738@vax1.tcd.ie> cnolan@vax1.tcd.ie writes:
>Hi,
>We're considering going to 10BaseT to connect up one of our buildings that is
>already wired for RS-232.  From what I've seen this would seem to be the way to
>go.

I can't tell you much about the technical specifications of 10-base-T,
but we used it to build the Interop network (15 to 20 miles of cable,
an uncountable number of drops, but the number was many hundred, etc) and
the thing worked without a hitch.

We had some non-production runs ("spy cables") which were close to
double the standard's 100 metre limit and these seemd to work just fine
as well.

About the only trouble we had was with some 10BaseT to Cheapernet MAUs.
All the 10BaseT to AUI MAUs worked well.

One thing that made life much better for the '90 Interop over the '89 show
was that we found some real nice RJ45 crimp-ons for building the cables.
(These were from Thomas and Betts.)  However, these were very, very
slightly too wide for the inter-plug spacing on the various David and
Cabletron hubs we used.  Things worked, but it was a bit of a squeeze on a
full hub.

				--karl--

brunner@bullhead.uucp (11/17/90)

In article <2877@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> karl@lvs.Eng.Sun.COM (Karl Auerbach) writes:
>I can't tell you much about the technical specifications of 10-base-T,
>but we used it to build the Interop network (15 to 20 miles of cable,
>an uncountable number of drops, but the number was many hundred, etc) and
>the thing worked without a hitch.

Karl, what a shameless lie! We hung just under 30 miles of UTP (plus several
more of fibre), you must have fallen asleep at dawn Sunday. The number of
drops was not uncountable (wish I had an aleph character here), it was a
finite integer, less than a zillion.

>One thing that made life much better for the '90 Interop over the '89 show
>was that we found some real nice RJ45 crimp-ons for building the cables.
>(These were from Thomas and Betts.)  However, these were very, very
>slightly too wide for the inter-plug spacing on the various David and
>Cabletron hubs we used.  Things worked, but it was a bit of a squeeze on a
>full hub.

I guess we shouldn't mention our "is this RJ11 or RJ45" dance of last year.

Seriously folks, running ether over utp was bliss this year, I should have
paid more attention to the miniscule portion of the net where token-ring was
run over utp, perhaps someone who took a look at that portion of the net
could drop me a line.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Eric Brunner, Consultant, IBM AWD Palo Alto	(415) 855-4486
inet: brunner@monet.berkeley.edu		uucp: uunet!ibmsupt!brunner
trying to understand multiprocessing is like having bees live inside your head.

amirza@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (anmar mirza) (11/19/90)

We have recently started installing 10baseT to replace our UB ethernet
equipment.
The standard length for ethernet transmission over tp wire is 100 meters
(328 feet).
Using rg8 you can go 500 meters(1640 feet).
Using rg58 you can go 185 meters (573 feet).
This is according to the specs published.
We experienced some troubles using teflon plenum tp wire due to the
change in capacitance in the wire, this reduced the maximum tp distance
to around 180 feet. It will not work on non tp phone(or rs232) wire.
It will work through 4 wire tp data circuits.

All in all, I am not impressed by the David Systems that we have purchased,
our Ungermannn Bass equipment was more flexible and has  better management
(once the bugs were worked out, we were a beta test site) software, but
David Systems promises more in the near future.

Anmar Mirza   # If a product is good, # The two best ways # Space, humans next
EMT-A         # they will stop making # to my heart are   # goal in the race
N9ISY (tech)  # it. Unless it is      # sex, and the      # for immortality.
Director AESL # designed to kill.     # descending aorta  # --- me

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) (11/20/90)

In article <2877@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> karl@lvs.Eng.Sun.COM (Karl Auerbach) writes:
>One thing that made life much better for the '90 Interop over the '89 show
>was that we found some real nice RJ45 crimp-ons for building the cables.
>(These were from Thomas and Betts.)  However, these were very, very
>slightly too wide for the inter-plug spacing on the various David and
>Cabletron hubs we used.  Things worked, but it was a bit of a squeeze on a
>full hub.

And they are a *real* squeeze on Synoptics 10BaseT hubs.  Anyone know of other
crimp-on connectors that work with solid core wire that are narrower?

--
Phil Trubey
SHL Systemhouse Inc.

alana@hprnd.rose.hp.com (Alan Albrecht) (11/30/90)

>Also can anyone advise on a suitable hub/concentrator with 10Base2 in, multiple
>10BaseT out.

  Hewlett-Packard's 10 Base T Hubs have a 10 Base2 port, AUI Port and 12
  twisted pair ports which can all be used simultaneously.  The twisted pair
  ports are on a 50 pin connector.  An optional modular adapter can be used to
  break it out to 12 RJ 45 ports.

  List price for the Ethertwist Hub is in the US $1899.  This includes net
  management through an RS232 port.  The Ethertwist Hub PLUS adds network
  management over the network and works with HP's PC based Net management
  software.  List for the Hub PLUS in the us is $2299.

Alan Albrecht