[comp.dcom.lans] EtherTalk network & AppleTalk LaserWriter

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) (11/28/90)

We are putting our Macs on a 3Com 3+Share lan.  To use the lan, we
use the Network cdev to select EtherTalk.  But then the LaserWriter
connected to the Mac by LocalTalk isn't accessible.

I understand we could use Farallon's Liaison routing software to
get around this.  But I'd rather not buy that for each Mac with a
printer.  And I don't want to be required to connect every LaserWriter
to the 3Com server.

Is there any other way to be able to use the EtherTalk network
and the AppleTalk LaserWriter at the same time?

Thank you.
-- Sue
=======================
Sue Klefstad   klefstad@uiuc.edu
Ill. Natural History Survey

--
-- Sue
Sue Klefstad    s-klefstad@uiuc.edu

clay@ClarisII.claris.com (Clay A. Maeckel) (11/29/90)

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:
>I understand we could use Farallon's Liaison routing software to
>get around this.  But I'd rather not buy that for each Mac with a
>printer.  And I don't want to be required to connect every LaserWriter
>to the 3Com server.

Sue, you wouldn't have to buy a copy of Liasion for each Mac. You could buy
just one and then make sure all the LaserWriters are connected to the same
LocalTalk cable that the Mac running Liasion is on.

Something else that might work (I can't try it here because we upgraded from
3+Share to 3+Open) is to boot the Mac while the EtherTalk icon is selected
then once the Mac is running switch it back to LocalTalk. You should still
be able to access the 3+Share server, which is using the XNS protocols on
the ethernet, and the LaserWriters, which are using the AppleTalk protocols
on the LocalTalk cable.

I thought I remember reading about a patch sometime ago that made the 3+File
Chooser item believe that EtherTalk was selected so it would use the ethernet
card while LocalTalk was selected in the Network Control Panel. I dig around
and see if I can find it.

--Clay

--
 Clay Maeckel         *   UUCP: {ames,apple,portal,sun,voder}!claris!clay
 (I know nothing!)    *   Internet:  clay@claris.com  *  GEnie: C.MAECKEL

macbeth@netmbx.UUCP (Andreas Pahl) (11/30/90)

klefstad@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Sue Klefstad) writes:

>Is there any other way to be able to use the EtherTalk network
>and the AppleTalk LaserWriter at the same time?

You have two choices:
Either put one Fastpath or Gatorbox into your network and use this localtalk
to connect multiple printers, or attach one little gadget from Dayna
called "Etherprint" to each printer.

Maybe there are even choices.

Rgds Rainer