[comp.dcom.lans] 10BaseT Patch Cables.

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) (11/29/90)

OK. I'd like to know what people are using for 10BaseT patch cables.
Are people making their own, buying them?  I'd like to know if
people are using stranded core UTP cable or solid core.  I have been
trying to make my own, but have not been able to locate any UTP
stranded core cable, or standard width solid core RJ45 connectors (so
that they fit side by side on concentrators).

Any info would be appreciated...

--
Phil Trubey
SHL Systemhouse Inc.

norm@cfctech.cfc.com (Norman J. Meluch) (11/30/90)

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:

{P} OK. I'd like to know what people are using for 10BaseT patch cables.
{P} Are people making their own, buying them?

Here at Chrysler Financial we deal with AT&T (or at least *have* :-)
a lot.  We buy our 10BaseT patch cables from them.

We patch all our data connections on AT&T 110 hardware.  Works very
well.

Other connections (ie from wall jack (RJ45) to computer) are done with
standard RJ45 cables supplied with network cards.  Same goes for wiring
from RJ45 panels to hubs/concentrators.  All supplied by AT&T.

					- Norm.
--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Norman J. Meluch ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
| Mail: norm@cfctech.cfc.com           Fax:(313)948-4975  Voice:(313)948-4809 |

dave@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Dave Schwarz) (11/30/90)

I just discovered a very interesting problem.
Sitting in front of me I have 2 WD8003e network cards
each one has the same address 0000c0ed271c.
Has anybody else come across this problem, ie more than one card
with the same network address. These cards have not caused any major
problems yet, excepting stuffing up the bootp tables on our Pyramid.
Such that one would boot and the other one wouldn't. It took me a while
to find out what the problem was, as identical network addresses were not
some thing I was looking for.
What I was wondering is,

1 Can novell handle 2 different stations with the same address.
 (I must point out that the cards where attached directly to 2 of our servers
  on lan A but the servers are attached to each other on lan B
  I guess that novell uses the subnet as part of the address so this shouldn't
  be a major problem unless both cards are on the same segment)

2 What does it do if it detects such a situation ?

3 How ofter does this happen ?
  (I've just found another 2 sets of identical cards in the bootp table but
   as the identical pairs are on a differnet campus, I haven't eyeballed them
   my self, only had some one look at them so we may have 3 pairs of cards all
   up, this is from orders of about 400 cards in the last 10 months)

4 I guess such cards could cause a bridge to have a hernia ?, What about a
  router ?.

Dave....

Every thing I just said is my own view and not that of my Employer
Monash University Computer Centre.

--
Dave Schwarz @ Monash Uni Caulfield Campus               This space now for hire
900 Dandynong Rd,East Caulfield,Vic,Australia         (and I know that DANDENONG

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (11/30/90)

In article <1990Nov30.042333.10276@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> dave@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Dave Schwarz) writes:
>I just discovered a very interesting problem.
>Sitting in front of me I have 2 WD8003e network cards
>each one has the same address 0000c0ed271c.
>Has anybody else come across this problem, ie more than one card
>with the same network address. These cards have not caused any major
>problems yet, excepting stuffing up the bootp tables on our Pyramid.
>Such that one would boot and the other one wouldn't. It took me a while
>to find out what the problem was, as identical network addresses were not
>some thing I was looking for.

A few possibilities:

1. You're seeing double.

2. World's first stereo cards.

3. You've got a REAL spare (-:

4. Manufacturer Boo boo.

The real answer is #4. Someone goofed at WD (or someone was angry). Don't use
identical address cards. All kinds of possible problems. Let WD know about it.
They'll find it Veerrryyy interesting.
--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

In article <1990Nov30.042333.10276@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> dave@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (Dave Schwarz) writes:
>Sitting in front of me I have 2 WD8003e network cards
>each one has the same address 0000c0ed271c.
>Has anybody else come across this problem, ie more than one card
>with the same network address...

This sort of thing is a well-known problem with Ethernet in general.  Many
manufacturing organizations are very strongly oriented towards turning out
absolutely identical copies, and have great difficulty with the concept of
a part (the ID ROM) that has to be different on each one.
--
"The average pointer, statistically,    |Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
points somewhere in X." -Hugh Redelmeier| henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry