[comp.dcom.lans] X.25 Analyzer

cravey@peyote.cactus.org (Mark Cravey) (11/25/90)

Has anyone had experience with an X.25 analyzer?  I have a card
running TCP/IP on top of X.25.  At the mechanical/physical level, it is
RS-449/422.  Does anyone else have a similar configuration?  What do
you use to analyze these protocols?

Thanks in advance,
/\/\ark Cravey
cravey@peyote.cactus.org

kean@pscnet.UUCP (Kean Johnston) (11/26/90)

In <3660@peyote.cactus.org> cravey@peyote.cactus.org (Mark Cravey) writes:

>Has anyone had experience with an X.25 analyzer?  I have a card
>running TCP/IP on top of X.25.  At the mechanical/physical level, it is
>RS-449/422.  Does anyone else have a similar configuration?  What do
>you use to analyze these protocols?

Hewlett-Packard released, about 4 months ago, a protocol analyser which
can handle RS-anything, X.25, SNA and a whole bunch of others. You might
wish to get in contact with them and ask about it. It's bound to cost a
small fortune, but it is a nice tool.

| Kean Johnston: ..!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!kean                 kean@pscnet.UUCP |
|                "I drink, therefore I AM" - Dene Rescartes                  |

jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca (John Stewart) (11/26/90)

In article <3660@peyote.cactus.org> cravey@peyote.cactus.org (Mark Cravey) writes:
>Has anyone had experience with an X.25 analyzer?  I have a card
>running TCP/IP on top of X.25.  At the mechanical/physical level, it is
>RS-449/422.  Does anyone else have a similar configuration?  What do
>you use to analyze these protocols?

Our long-haul network links use X.25 instead of leased lines. When we
need an analyzer, we use our fairly trusty Idacom serial analyzer.
This gives us a decode of the X.25 packets, but of course does not
decode the IP data.

I have seen some advertised that are small and cheap. ($$ wise).
AIM Electronics in Canada had one that looked pocketable.

Most of the TCP/IP over X.25 products that I have seen have some form
of monitor for seeing the X.25 packet headers for call setup and clear.

John Stewart
jstewart@ncs.dnd.ca

saunders@gesundheit.West.Sun.COM (Gene Saunders) (12/02/90)

In article <707@pscnet.UUCP> kean@pscnet.UUCP (Kean Johnston) writes:
>In <3660@peyote.cactus.org> cravey@peyote.cactus.org (Mark Cravey) writes:

	I see in Digital News (15 October 1990, p 10) that Network
	General has a new version of their Sniffer for use with X.25
	networks.  Costs between 12,500 - 16,700 US$.  I haven't used it.

--
---
Gene Saunders   \ gene.saunders@West.Sun.COM \ gsaunders@sun.com