[comp.dcom.lans] Backup Program Needed

MICHAEL.SOPER@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Michael Soper) (11/30/90)

SCO UNIX V.3.2.1 offers backup/restore service through sysadmsh.  I find this
inadequate for my b/r needs.  Mainly, I object to the fact that only one file
system can be allocated per tape.  I have 4 servers to backup!  With 150MB
cartridges, I'll soon need another lab just to store tapes.

Can anyone recommend a good backup/restore program at reasonable cost.
I require scheduling, multi-tape prompting, multiple file services per tape,
full and incremental range, and NFS support (which is probably a given).

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (12/02/90)

MICHAEL.SOPER@OFFICE.WANG.COM (Michael Soper) writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good backup/restore program at reasonable cost.
> I require scheduling, multi-tape prompting, multiple file services per tape,
> full and incremental range, and NFS support (which is probably a given).

SCO Unix's backup and restore programs (and the sysadmsh interface) is
really just a front-end to cpio.  Write your own in shell scripts;
it's not that hard.

You can do everything you mention above with find, cron, and cpio,
except for the NFS part.  The basic problem with backing up a
NFS-mounted filesystem is that your root access on the local machine
means nothing; you can't read any files that "nobody" can't read.
Unfortunately, SCO doesn't supply an rtaped program.  Your best bet
might be to spawn an rsh on the system you're NFS-mounting from, run
cpio *there*, and pipe the output to the tape drive on the local
machine.  Of course, this raises a lot of nasty issues of security,
but hopefully the machine with the tape drive is not a machine that a
lot of bad-security-risk-type people have root access to.

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

In article <sJLJT5w163w@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us> mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>You can do everything you mention above with find, cron, and cpio,
>except for the NFS part.  The basic problem with backing up a
>NFS-mounted filesystem is that your root access on the local machine
>means nothing; you can't read any files that "nobody" can't read.
>Unfortunately, SCO doesn't supply an rtaped program.  Your best bet
>might be to spawn an rsh on the system you're NFS-mounting from, run
>cpio *there*, and pipe the output to the tape drive on the local
>machine.

Afio (the cpio work-alike posted a few years ago) contains code to
do this, requiring only a working rsh and a copy of afio on the
machine with the tape drive.  The NFS mounts aren't needed at all.

>Of course, this raises a lot of nasty issues of security,
>but hopefully the machine with the tape drive is not a machine that a
>lot of bad-security-risk-type people have root access to.

If you make the tape device accessable by everyone, you should be
able to log in directly to the machine you want to back up and
start the process there (so you can require the local machine's
password for root access), or do it from cron.  All you need
is some way to insure that the correct tape is loaded when you
start up.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us