[comp.dcom.lans] HP LMX compatibility with IBM TR

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (12/02/90)

We are currently evaluating LANs, and I have been pretty well impressed
by HPs LMX (SCO Unix version) but for one small detail.

The LMX literature discusses "NDIS compatible network cards available from
other vendors" as being usable with LMX.  Ok, so is this an euphemism for
TR (shudder IBM?). (my rep seemed un{willing,able} to say)

I'd like nothing so much as to use unix servers for my PC lans, and to
use the institutionally installed Type I, and to let the users have their
silly PS/2s.

- Jon

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or your life!"

levine@dg-rtp.dg.com (Larry Levine) (12/04/90)

NDIS does not imply TR.  It is an architecture that allows
you to "plug and play" various NetBIOS protocols with different
network card drivers.  This works in theory, but not in all practices.
Some vendors Protocol is to closely tied with the MAC driver.
Token Ring (and NetBEUI) is supported under the NDIS architecure and
is available from most LM and LM/X vendors.  They originate solely from IBM
Madge Networks however (someone correct me if I am wrong).

I am not clear by what you mean by "Type I"...

If you were impressed with SCO's LM/X, I suggest you investigate
other vendor offerings (hint, hint -- see below).  You might be impressed
with the performance.

Larry Levine / levine@slimer.webo.dg.com
Data General Corporation, Westboro, MA       Standard disclaimers apply.

fks@vaxeline.COM (Frances Selkirk) (12/04/90)

In article <627@eds1.UUCP> jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:
>The LMX literature discusses "NDIS compatible network cards available from
>other vendors" as being usable with LMX.  Ok, so is this an euphemism for
>TR (shudder IBM?). (my rep seemed un{willing,able} to say)

NDIS is a driver specification authored and maintained by Microsoft
and 3Com. Like packet drivers, and ODI drivers, NDIS drivers offer a
standard interface to th software above them, making packages for NDIS
automatically compatible with many cards from manufacturers such as
3Com, Western Digital, and Interlan. NDIS has nothing to do with the
Token Ring ASI.

--

Frances Kirk Selkirk		 info@ftp.com	           (617) 246-0900
FTP Software, Inc.		 26 Princess Street, Wakefield, MA  01880

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/05/90)

In article <1182@dg.dg.com> levine@slimer.webo.dg.com (Larry Levine) writes:

>NDIS does not imply TR.  It is an architecture that allows
>you to "plug and play" various NetBIOS protocols with different
>network card drivers.  This works in theory, but not in all practices.
>Some vendors Protocol is to closely tied with the MAC driver.
>Token Ring (and NetBEUI) is supported under the NDIS architecure and
>is available from most LM and LM/X vendors.  They originate solely from IBM
>Madge Networks however (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Well, more than Netbios. NDIS drivers for XNS, IPX, TCP-IP, DecNet, HP NS,
Banyan-IP, OSI, LAT etc exist (and coexist quite well...).

A number of sources publish IBM's DLC driver on NDIS (including IBM) for
both DOS and OS/2 , and therefore Netbeui on NDIS (and APPC, 3278 etc).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden