[comp.dcom.lans] IPX reading list

matt@isgserver.sbi.com (Matthew Gutherz) (12/06/90)

Could anyone suggest books or references on IPX and novell networking?

Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks

Matt	matt@zeus.sbi.com	gutherz@jove.rutgers.edu

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (12/07/90)

In article <255@isgserver.sbi.com>, matt@isgserver.sbi.com (Matthew Gutherz) writes:
> Could anyone suggest books or references on IPX and novell networking?
>
> Any pointers would be helpful.

 I use the Netware C Interface - DOS. It's not too bad, although it doesn't
really go into enough depth (IMNSHO) about performing IPX/SPX between 2
workstations. It also doesn't mention NCP.

> Thanks
>
> Matt	matt@zeus.sbi.com	gutherz@jove.rutgers.edu
|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

cox@imspw6.UUCP (Ken Cox) (12/11/90)

For a complete description (the best I've seen so far) of Novell's
communications protocols, see the 9/90 issue of NetWare Application
Notes, pp 25-82.  This is an article titled "NetWare Communications
Processes" written by Paul Turner, an engineer at Novell.  It includes
a complete discussion of IPX, RIP, SAP, and NCPs, and how they
interoperate.  It is a good overview to read before you get into
reference manuals for the various API function calls.

Reprints are available from the Novell AppNotes Hotline (801) 429-7550;
I think the cost for 1 reprint is $5, chargeable to your favorite
plastic.

Novell publishes "Research Notes" supposedly monthly, but the last
I've received is from September 1990.

Ken Cox, Novell CNE                imspw6!cox@uunet.uu.net
Integrated Microcomputer Systems
Rockville, MD