[comp.dcom.lans] 10Base T concentrators

wmah@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Wayne Mah) (12/05/90)

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with 10Base T ethernet
concentrators?  I am interested in a comparison between CableTron, David
Systems, Synoptics, and NetWorth.

I am interested in how each fares in regard to reliability (i.e. built in
redunancy), network management features, IPX management, connections to
other TCP/IP ethernet hosts, and compatibility with the Western Digital
10Base T card (EtherPlus Card).

Thanks in advance to all those reply.

phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) (12/08/90)

Tried to mail a response, didn't get through...

>Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with 10Base T ethernet
>concentrators?  I am interested in a comparison between CableTron, David
>Systems, Synoptics, and NetWorth.
>
>I am interested in how each fares in regard to reliability (i.e. built in
>redunancy), network management features, IPX management, connections to
>other TCP/IP ethernet hosts, and compatibility with the Western Digital
>10Base T card (EtherPlus Card).
>
>Thanks in advance to all those reply.

We've used both Cabletron and Synoptics 10BaseT concentrators with the
WD cards - they work OK.  Synoptics and Cabletron stuff interop OK, we
have had Cabletron 10BaseT xvrs hooked into our Synoptics hubs and
vice versa.

The Synoptics and Cabletron hubs we have had have been equally reliable.

Synoptics network management is OK - it has a flashy Windows interface
(note can only run in Windows 3.0 in real mode, not 386 extended mode),
but true to form of Windows programs, the UI manages to be clumsy and
inefficient.  Major piece of missing functionality is that the concentrator
only grabs stats from the concentrator since it does not communicate with
the ethernet cards ( no SNMP support).  This means that a major piece of
diagnostic info is missing.

Cabletron network management also has a clumsy Windows interface.  It uses
SNMP however, so you can see if the card has seen the packets you are
sending it ... this only applies if you have Cabletron cards however, since
WD cards do not *yet* support SNMP (although they are planning it).

Neither network manager has IPX management support (and aren't likely
to - different protocol levels) - why would you want to use
Novell anyways??  :-).

--
Phil Trubey
SHL Systemhouse Inc.
Phil Trubey
SHL Systemhouse Inc.
(Internet: phil@shl.com      UUCP: ...!uunet!shl!phil)

donegan@stanton.UUCP (Steven P. Donegan) (12/09/90)

We have a very large facility that uses WD twisted pair ethernet cards and
Synoptics concentrators/hubs. The network functions flawlessly and the net
management (proprietary Synoptics) works just great. The facility is a 14
storey building with concentrators on each floor and roughly 1100 ethernet
cards (WD networks everything :-) ). I'm a bit biased - I designed most of
the building network and used our own product for a lot of it.

--
Steven P. Donegan (stanton!donegan)	The opinions expressed here are mine
Telecommunications Engineer		donegan@stanton, stanton!donegan

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec08.035741.21006@shl.com> phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:

>sending it ... this only applies if you have Cabletron cards however, since
>WD cards do not *yet* support SNMP (although they are planning it).

Why not just run FTP's or Wollongong's agent on the card? If you use a packet
driver or NDIS driver, you don't have to wait for Cabletron to support SNMP
on the card of your choice - don't see any advantage to Cabletron unless they
are extending the standard mib on the PC card.

This works great in my environment (using NetLab's monitor) and it's pc card
independent (and vendor independent).

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) (12/11/90)

In article <18422@netcom.UUCP> jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:
>In article <1990Dec08.035741.21006@shl.com> phil@shl.com (Phil Trubey) writes:
>>sending it ... this only applies if you have Cabletron cards however, since
>>WD cards do not *yet* support SNMP (although they are planning it).
>
>Why not just run FTP's or Wollongong's agent on the card? If you use a packet
>driver or NDIS driver, you don't have to wait for Cabletron to support SNMP
>on the card of your choice - don't see any advantage to Cabletron unless they
>are extending the standard mib on the PC card.

I recently saw announcements from Cabletron that they now have SNMP agents
for WD and 3com cards.  The agent for the Cabletron card is a 20-30k TSR.
I'm not familiar with the FTP or Wollongong agents--how are they packaged?

Cabletron claims that the SNMP agent is independent of other protocol
stacks using the card, including TCP/IP.  I'm not sure how that could
be done.  I haven't had the chance to really dive in and figure it out.

(Note: I don't know any more info about the Cabletron WD and 3com agents.
With their own cards, most of their workstation drivers are packet-driver
based.  One could assume that their 3com and WD agents are also
packet-driver based, but one could easily be wrong.)
--
Craig Jackson
dricejb@drilex.dri.mgh.com

barry@brahms.udel.edu (Barry Fausnaugh) (12/11/90)

In article <18378@drilex.UUCP> dricejb@drilex.UUCP (Craig Jackson drilex1) writes:

>Cabletron claims that the SNMP agent is independent of other protocol
>stacks using the card, including TCP/IP.  I'm not sure how that could
>be done.  I haven't had the chance to really dive in and figure it out.

I believe that the SNMP stuff is built directly into the code that drives
the card itself.  We have some Cabletron cards here and that is how I
remember it being explained to me when we asked about that.

--
Barry T. Fausnaugh		|  Internet: barry@brahms.udel.edu
023 Smith Hall			|	 or: Barry_Fausnauug@taco.acs.udel.edu