[comp.dcom.lans] Ethernet Connection for Mac

zhao@elaine19.stanford.edu (tiemin zhao) (12/12/90)

This is a question for you network administrators. I have a Mac and a
Sun. I frequently need to transfer files (big rgb files) between them.
Tired of shuffling floppies, I decided to get some kind of Ethernet
connection for my Mac so that I can telnet to my Sun workstation and
ftp the files.

I just got an EtherTalk NB card from Apple. After I installed it, I found
out that it would not allow me to use LocalTalk network and Ethernet
network at the same time. In order to switch between networks, I have
to open the Control Panel, choose the network I want to use, and reboot.
I just can't believe Apple could be this stupid!

I've seen people using a Mac on the Ethernet while connected to a
LocalTalk network at the same time. But I don't know what it takes to
have that setup. Could anyone give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help. Please send e-mail to:
	zhao@portia.stanford.edu

David

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.021251.3808@portia.Stanford.EDU>,
zhao@elaine19.stanford.edu (tiemin zhao) writes:
> I've seen people using a Mac on the Ethernet while connected to a
> LocalTalk network at the same time. But I don't know what it takes to
> have that setup. Could anyone give me some suggestions?

Depends on what software you are using over the Enet.  As an example, if
you were using NCSA telnet or TCP/Connect II, you set which net (port) they
are using internally not through the control panel.  So you leave the control
panel alone (on appletalk) and either in the configuration file or on the
configuration screen of the TCP/IP package you pick the Enet card.  Then
you have no problem.

Hope that helps.

--
Kurt Baumann                       InterCon Systems Corporation
703.709.9890                      Creators of fine TCP/IP products

bschmidt@bnr.ca (Ben Schmidt) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec12.021251.3808@portia.Stanford.EDU>
zhao@elaine19.stanford.edu (tiemin zhao) writes:
> I just got an EtherTalk NB card from Apple. After I
> installed it, I found out that it would not allow me to use
> LocalTalk network and Ethernet network at the same time.

In order to have a multi-homed workstation, you usually need
to be running a routing process.  For example, if you wanted
to, you could run Apple's Internet routing software and have
both your Built-in and Ethernet ports passing AppleTalk
protocols simultaneously. Of course you'd have to pick one
of those ports to be your "home" port, so your mac would
know which zone to highlight when you open your Chooser,
among other things.  :^)

> I've seen people using a Mac on the Ethernet while connected
> to a LocalTalk network at the same time. But I don't know
> what it takes to have that setup.

The difference here is that they're using a *different*
protocol on each interface.  For example, the NETWORK and
MACTCP control panel documents work quasi-independently.
You can use LocalTalk for your AppleTalk protocols by
selecting Built-in from within the NETWORK cdev, and
simultaneously use your Ethernet for your TCP/IP protocols
by selecting Ethernet from within the MACTCP cdev.  Since
your using a *different* interface for each protocol, the
Mac has one and only one AppleTalk address, that of it's
LocalTalk port.  And it has one and only one IP address,
that of it's Ethernet port.

By the way, as far as APPLETALK protocols are concerned, it
is not necessary to reboot to switch from LocalTalk and
EtherTalk Phase 1 or EtherTalk Phase 2 networks.  However if
you are using APPLETALK based applications which NBP
register themselves at startup via an INIT, these INITs will
not be re-executed when you switch networks so that these
NBP registered sockets will not appear on the network you've
just switched to to until you reboot.

Ben Schmidt     Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.   Ph: (613) 763-3906
Information     P.O. Box 3511, Station C       FAX:(613) 763-3283
Technology      Ottawa Canada K1Y 4H7          bschmidt@bnr.ca