[comp.dcom.lans] What is the difference between LM2.0 and LM2.1?

guest@dragon.cow.melco.co.jp (You are guest of dragon) (11/29/90)

I'd like to know the difference between LM2.0 and LM2.1.
Does anyone know its difference?

Thanks for any help.

nobuo@dragon.cow.melco.co.jp

dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) (12/12/90)

guest@dragon.cow.melco.co.jp (You are guest of dragon) writes:

>I'd like to know the difference between LM2.0 and LM2.1.

Rumor has it that LAN Manager 2.1 will be built on top of OS/2 2.0
(yes the 386 version).  Also, all of the administration screens are
supposed to be Presentation Manager based instead of text mode.

Maybe the 386 code will give LM that little speed boost it needs to
top Netware 386.

Delbert Matlock                         Internet:  dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu
MicroNet Northwest
Voice:  (503)228-3071

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (12/13/90)

In article <896@pdxgate.UUCP> dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) writes:
>guest@dragon.cow.melco.co.jp (You are guest of dragon) writes:
>
>>I'd like to know the difference between LM2.0 and LM2.1.
>
>Rumor has it that LAN Manager 2.1 will be built on top of OS/2 2.0
>(yes the 386 version).  Also, all of the administration screens are
>supposed to be Presentation Manager based instead of text mode.
>
>Maybe the 386 code will give LM that little speed boost it needs to
>top Netware 386.

The rumor mill also says other features may be: tcp-ip as another transport,
Mac support, mail and SMP support.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

dmatlock@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Delbert Matlock) (12/14/90)

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:

>The rumor mill also says other features may be: tcp-ip as another transport,
>Mac support, mail and SMP support.

Actually, 3Com has already added TCP-IP and IPX protocols to LM1.1.  They
will have (or already have) versions out for LM2.0 by early next year.