[comp.dcom.lans] 3Com CS210 Terminal Server

arden@siucbal.UUCP (Arden White) (12/11/90)

We bought a 3Com CS210 terminal server about a year ago.  It came with five
or six manuals but none of them had the magic words that are needed in
order to set the IP address.  In fact most of the manuals didn't even
apply to our particular model.  I can't believe that 3Com sold this thing
without the correct documentation (or maybe it was the vendor we bought
it from).

The salesman that sold it to us kept hinting that they make their money
through service.  I told hold him that it was unusable without the correct
documentation and so he finally gave in and told me the command I needed.

Now I am trying to change the number again and I can't find where I wrote
the instructions.  Does anyone have one of these with the correct
documentation and, if you do, would you be willing to send me the
magic command?

	Thanks,
			Arden White

Arden White o Computer Science Department o Southern Illinois University
		Carbondale, IL 62901 o (618) 457-6051
   {plus5,ukma,sequent}!siucbal!arden o siucbal!arden@g.ms.uky.edu

vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Clement Vaillancourt) (12/14/90)

In article <587@siucbal.UUCP> arden@siucbal.UUCP (Arden White) writes:
>We bought a 3Com CS210 terminal server about a year ago.  It came with five
>
>Now I am trying to change the number again and I can't find where I wrote
>the instructions.  Does anyone have one of these with the correct
>documentation and, if you do, would you be willing to send me the
>magic command?
>Arden White o Computer Science Department o Southern Illinois University
>		Carbondale, IL 62901 o (618) 457-6051
>   {plus5,ukma,sequent}!siucbal!arden o siucbal!arden@g.ms.uky.edu

I think it is inside the sysgen program if you have it (I hope you do).
Regards,
Clem.
--
   Clement Vaillancourt,             |   Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
   Network Manager                   |        1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
   Email: vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca   |  Tel: 514-652-8238 / Fax: 514-652-8309

arden@siucbal.UUCP (Arden White) (12/14/90)

In article <4372@s3.ireq.hydro.qc.ca>, vaillan@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (Clement Vaillancourt) writes:
> In article <587@siucbal.UUCP> arden@siucbal.UUCP (Arden White) writes:
> >We bought a 3Com CS210 terminal server about a year ago.  It came with five
> >
> >Now I am trying to change the number again and I can't find where I wrote
> >the instructions.  Does anyone have one of these with the correct
> >documentation and, if you do, would you be willing to send me the
> >magic command?
>
> I think it is inside the sysgen program if you have it (I hope you do).
> Regards,
> Clem.

Yes, that's right.  My problem was that none of the manuals that I have
contain the magic command that will allow me to boot the sysgen program.
I received a reply from several people at 3Com including Jeremy Siegel.
Jeremy's answer was right on the mark.  The command I was looking for was
"bt 1d".

To their credit, 3Com has been very helpful.  I think that most of my problems
came from the salesman who sold me the CS210.  He no longer works for the
company I bought it from.  The company I bought it from has also been very
helpful and has put me in touch with the 3Com rep who said he would find
the necessary manuals.

For now, all is well in Network City.

	Thanks,
		Arden