[comp.dcom.lans] TCP/IP emulators for DOS

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (12/18/90)

In article <1990Dec16.143133.25018@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>I have a WD8003E network link between various machines
>here at nstar under our domain, and on one of the machines
>run Interactive's PC Interface which makes the unix drives
>(all 1.5 gigs) into one large C: drive.   The problem is
>that their emulator which allows me to log in to the UNIX
>box is very slow - and uses function keys which I would rather
>use for WP running on the UNIX box.  Is anyone aware of any
>other terminal emulators available that will run over a IP
>connection?

We also use PC-Interface here to link about 30 10MHz '286 PCs
running MS-DOS 3.3 to our SysV unix machines.  Great product,
but like most terminal emulation over ip packages, it emulates
the old vt100, which only had 4 function keys.  They developers felt
free to use F5-F10 for various emulator control functions.  Like
you, we wanted the functions keys available for our database
applications.  We tried both InterCon's TCP/Connect for PCs and
PC/TCP from ftpSoftware.  Both of these allowed (with much work)
the complete redefinition of the keyboard.  Since both of these
are telnet implementations (ie, they run over tcp/ip) and PC-Interface
uses udp/ip, they could theoretically coexist.  But, to my knowledge,
PC-Interface will only run with Locus' ethernet drivers (we use both
WD8003e and Micom NI5210).  If Locus would support the Clarkson packet
drivers, you'd be in luck; but as it is, you have to use a batch file
to switch config.sys files and reboot to change between PCI and the
telnet packages.

The solution we settled on, which was actually suggested by Locus,
was to use a DOS keyboard macro program (we use SuperKey, by Borland
I believe), and remap everything they way we wanted it.  F1-F4 we left
alone, F5-F10 and ShiftF1-ShiftF10 send escape sequences (which we added
to the vt100 terminfo and termcap entries), and AltF5-AltF10 are mapped
back into the corresponding PC-Interface EMulate functions.  Works pretty
well;  Occasionally, vi or the database will treat an Fkey or an arrow key
as separate characters instead of a control sequence, but telnet clients
do that too.  Terminal Emulation is started by a VT100.BAT file which starts
superkey and loads the remap file before running EMulate, and stops superkey
afterwards.

I just wanted to add, the we think that PC-Interface is a super
product.  We've looked into switching to Portable Netware or one
of the MS-DOS NFS client packages several times, and always end up
sticking with the Locus product.  I just wish more people new
about it so we could be sure it will survive/grow.  I am posting
this, rather than e-mailing, so more people hear about the product.
Oh, I should mention that as we move into X-Window applications, we
plan on using their PC-Xsight X-terminal emulator, which is compatible
with PC-Interface.

I would also like to mention that Gaige Paulson at InterCon was VERY
generous with his support while were trying their product.

Disclaimer: We have no relationship to Locus Computing, ftpSoftware,
or InterCon except as customers.

Good luck,
Dan

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/21/90)

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Hi Dan - we've decided to to with NCSA Telnet which I've been told
>runs excellent along with PCI (plus it's free).  Thanks for the info --

We have NCSA Telnet here on ash.rn.com - and it works just dandy
communicating with networked machines both as telnet and ftp -

but we have a problem getting the function keys in the telnet
mode to work correctly with Word Perfect 5.0 (running on the
386/ix Unix box)

  {larry@nstar.rn.com, uunet!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (12/22/90)

In article <1990Dec21.013134.29423@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>
>>Hi Dan - we've decided to to with NCSA Telnet which I've been told
>>runs excellent along with PCI (plus it's free).  Thanks for the info --

There's either been some garbling of quotations, or I never got some posting
between my posting and this one from Larry.

My posting lauding PC-Interface has produced considerable e-mail traffic.  I
hope I've been of help to all of you.  The above comment from Larry reminds
me to emphasize one item.

Locus, at least at the 2.8.7 release we are using, uses their own udp/ip
ethernet drivers.  These appear to be incompatible with other software.  We
tried both PC/TCP from ftpSoftware and TCP/Connect (PC version) from Intercon
with no success.  I don't know if NCSA telnet will work or not, but I would
tend to doubt it.  Note that you don't generally need telnet if you're running
PCI, as PCI comes with it's own terminal emulator.  If necessary use the
PCI EM program to log onto your PCI host, then use the host's telnet to reach
a non-PCI host.

This was with Micom NI5210 ethernet cards.  We have a WD8003e, but we
didn't try it.  If anybody has had better luck mixing either the commercial
telnet packages above or NCSA with PC-Interface, please let me know.

Dan
---
Daniel A. Graifer			Coastal Capital Funding Corp.
Sr. Vice President, Financial Systems	7900 Westpark Dr. Suite A-130
(703)821-3244				McLean, VA  22102
uunet!fciva!dag				fciva.FRANKCAP.COM!dag@uunet.uu.net

larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) (12/22/90)

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:

>Locus, at least at the 2.8.7 release we are using, uses their own udp/ip
>ethernet drivers.  These appear to be incompatible with other software.  We
>tried both PC/TCP from ftpSoftware and TCP/Connect (PC version) from Intercon
>with no success.  I don't know if NCSA telnet will work or not, but I would
>tend to doubt it.  Note that you don't generally need telnet if you're running
>PCI, as PCI comes with it's own terminal emulator.  If necessary use the
>PCI EM program to log onto your PCI host, then use the host's telnet to reach
>a non-PCI host.

>This was with Micom NI5210 ethernet cards.  We have a WD8003e, but we
>didn't try it.  If anybody has had better luck mixing either the commercial
>telnet packages above or NCSA with PC-Interface, please let me know.

We have WD8003e boards - and NSCA Telnet runs just fine along
with PCI.  We boot on a floppy, load PCI and run NSCA Telnet from
the C: drive which is actually on the unix file system running PCI.

The only problem that I have - is that function keys aren't correctly
working under telnet - but I assume that is simply handled in the
remapping (and I haven't had time to look into it)..

dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) (12/23/90)

In article <1990Dec22.135830.25645@nstar.rn.com> larry@nstar.rn.com (Larry Snyder) writes:
>dag@fciva.FRANKLIN.COM (Daniel A. Graifer) writes:
Dan>Locus, [...] uses their own udp/ip ethernet drivers.  These appear to be
Dan>incompatible with other software. [...] I don't know if NCSA telnet will
Dan>work or not, but I would tend to doubt it. ...
Larry>We have WD8003e boards - and NSCA Telnet runs just fine along with PCI.

What version of PC-Interface are you running?  We're on
2.8.7, which I believe was a special interim release by
Locus for Prime.  Locus fixed a bunch of stuff in later
releases, but I haven't been able to convince Prime to
catch up.

Dan