[comp.dcom.lans] WNQVTNET

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (12/20/90)

Has anyone managed to get WNQVTNET to work simultaneously with novell netware,
also using the packet drivers? I can't seem to get them both to run, while
using windows 3.0 off the network. WNQVT/NET just comes up with a network
initialisation error. Any ideas?

|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
|  University of Waikato                                                     |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

randy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Randall E. Cotton) (12/23/90)

hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:

>Has anyone managed to get WNQVTNET to work simultaneously with novell netware,
>also using the packet drivers? I can't seem to get them both to run, while
>using windows 3.0 off the network. WNQVT/NET just comes up with a network
>initialisation error. Any ideas?

Yes, seems to work fine, though WNQVTNET is a slight bit unstable - i.e.
it crashes the machine hard every once in a while. Here's my setup:

IBM PS/2 Model 55SX
DOS 4.0
3COM 3C523 (Etherlink/MC) card
3C523 packet driver version 7.1.1, invoked with -w (windows compatibility)
pktint driver (comes with WinQVT/Net - necessary, I believe)
Novell revision 3 shells running in extended memory (XMSNET4)
Windows 3.0 running in 386 enhanced mode
WinQVT/Net version 1.31

I'm seriously considering switching to Windows as my default environment
now that I've found WinQVT/Net ($10 - what a bargain).

>--
>|  Hamish Marson   <hamish@waikato.ac.nz>                                    |
>|  Computer Support Person,  Computer Science Department                     |
>|  University of Waikato                                                     |
>|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
>|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
>|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |
Randall Cotton                                             Disclaimer: any views
Computing Services Office Network Support                      expressed are the
University of Illinois Urbana/Champaign                   sole opinion of my dog

In article <1990Dec22.225314.29982@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> randy@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Randall E. Cotton) writes:

   Yes, seems to work fine, though WNQVTNET is a slight bit unstable - i.e.
   it crashes the machine hard every once in a while. Here's my setup:

   IBM PS/2 Model 55SX
   DOS 4.0
   3COM 3C523 (Etherlink/MC) card
   3C523 packet driver version 7.1.1, invoked with -w (windows compatibility)
   pktint driver (comes with WinQVT/Net - necessary, I believe)
   Novell revision 3 shells running in extended memory (XMSNET4)
   Windows 3.0 running in 386 enhanced mode
   WinQVT/Net version 1.31

You shouldn't need to use the -w switch.  It just ensures that Windows
doesn't swap your application out from under the packet driver.  WinQVT/Net's
pktint driver takes care of this case for you.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  FAX 315-268-7600
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson