[comp.dcom.lans] LAN bridge for ethernet to token-ring

HAT@TRMETU.BITNET (12/29/90)

    I AM THE MANAGER OF A CYBER 932-11, CONNECTED TO AN IDENTICAL MACHINE
VIA AN ETHERNET. TO CONNECT THE ETHERNET TO A TOKEN_RING OVER WHICH I
PLAN TO ACCESS AN IBM 3090 WITH TCP/IP, I REQUIRE A LAN BRIDGE.
    I AM AWARE OF THE IBM 8209 PRODUCT, HOWEVER MY FUNDS AREN'T
SUFFICIENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF THIS DEVICE.
    DOES ANY DEVICE OF EQUIVALENT FUNCTION EXIST -AT A MORE REASONABLE
PRICE.
    I'LL BE MOST GREATFULL FOR ANY HELP.

                                    HIKMET ARIF TOPCUOGLU
                                  E-MAILHAT AT TRMETU.BITNET

haas%basset.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Walt Haas) (12/30/90)

In article <90361.120751HAT@TRMETU.BITNET> <HAT@TRMETU.BITNET> writes:
>    I AM THE MANAGER OF A CYBER 932-11, CONNECTED TO AN IDENTICAL MACHINE
>VIA AN ETHERNET. TO CONNECT THE ETHERNET TO A TOKEN_RING OVER WHICH I
>PLAN TO ACCESS AN IBM 3090 WITH TCP/IP, I REQUIRE A LAN BRIDGE.
>    I AM AWARE OF THE IBM 8209 PRODUCT, HOWEVER MY FUNDS AREN'T
>SUFFICIENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF THIS DEVICE.
>    DOES ANY DEVICE OF EQUIVALENT FUNCTION EXIST -AT A MORE REASONABLE
>PRICE.

We solved basically the same problem by putting our 3090 directly on the
Ethernet using an interface from BusTech Inc.  The price was considerably
less than the price of the 8209, and the performance and reliability
have been excellent.  Of course this doesn't give you a direct token ring
connection if you really want that.

-- Walt Haas    haas@ski.utah.edu

P85025@BARILVM.BITNET (Doron Shikmoni) (01/02/91)

In article <90361.120751HAT@TRMETU.BITNET>, <HAT@TRMETU.BITNET> says:

>    I AM THE MANAGER OF A CYBER 932-11, CONNECTED TO AN IDENTICAL MACHINE
>VIA AN ETHERNET. TO CONNECT THE ETHERNET TO A TOKEN_RING OVER WHICH I
>PLAN TO ACCESS AN IBM 3090 WITH TCP/IP, I REQUIRE A LAN BRIDGE.
>    I AM AWARE OF THE IBM 8209 PRODUCT, HOWEVER MY FUNDS AREN'T
>SUFFICIENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF THIS DEVICE.
>    DOES ANY DEVICE OF EQUIVALENT FUNCTION EXIST -AT A MORE REASONABLE
>PRICE.

The answer depends on what exactly you have. How is the 3090 connected
to the token ring (that is, if it is connected already).

Assuming you already have basic TCP/IP connection from the token ring
to the 3090 (via 3172?): if you have an Internet router already (like
the Cisco AGS), you might add a token ring interface to that router and
get IP routing between the two LANs. For TCP/IP, this would serve your
purpose.

Also, I believe an RS/6000 station, properly configured, can sit on
both LANs and perform IP routing between them. Obviously the basic
price of an RS/6000 is higher than that of an 8209; but if you already
have one...

Doron

spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu (D. Robert Spexet II) (01/02/91)

In article <91001.180102P85025@BARILVM.BITNET> P85025@BARILVM.BITNET (Doron Shikmoni) writes:
>In article <90361.120751HAT@TRMETU.BITNET>, <HAT@TRMETU.BITNET> says:
>>
>>    I AM THE MANAGER OF A CYBER 932-11, CONNECTED TO AN IDENTICAL MACHINE
>>VIA AN ETHERNET. TO CONNECT THE ETHERNET TO A TOKEN_RING OVER WHICH I
>>PLAN TO ACCESS AN IBM 3090 WITH TCP/IP, I REQUIRE A LAN BRIDGE.
>>    I AM AWARE OF THE IBM 8209 PRODUCT, HOWEVER MY FUNDS AREN'T
>>SUFFICIENT FOR THE PURCHASE OF THIS DEVICE.
>>    DOES ANY DEVICE OF EQUIVALENT FUNCTION EXIST -AT A MORE REASONABLE
>>PRICE.
>
>Also, I believe an RS/6000 station, properly configured, can sit on
>both LANs and perform IP routing between them. Obviously the basic
>price of an RS/6000 is higher than that of an 8209; but if you already
>have one...

I might add at this point that if you have a PS/2 sitting around, you could
set up IBM's TCP/IP software for OS/2, which includes routing capabilities.
We do this at work.  On our file server, a PS/2 Model 80 running LAN Manager,
we have IBM's TCP/IP software installed, routing packets between the token ring
and the ethernet boards that we have installed in it.  This way, we can give
our token-ring network complete Internet services.

Note that you do *not* have to have the LAN Manager software running to do
this.  The TCP/IP software alone will work just fine.

Besides this, you could set up an IBM compatible of some sort with both an
ethernet and a token-ring board, and then use a package such as KA9Q to do
the IP routing between the ethernet and the token-ring networks.

I'm not sure if these solutions would be fast enough for your needs.  Obvious-
ly, it would be desirable to have a hardware bridge such as an 8209 box, be-
cause it works much faster than a software router.  However, if your TCP/IP
traffic is light to moderate, as it is in our situation, then a software-based
router should do the trick, provided, of course, that you have or can obtain
the computer and/or the network boards to run it on.

I hope this helps.

-D. Robert Spexet II, Post Office Box 14909, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55414-0909
 Internet:  spexet@ux.acs.umn.edu
 BITNET:    spexet@umnacux.BITNET
 UUCP:	    rutgers!umn-cs!ux.acs.umn.edu!spexet