[comp.dcom.lans] what sort of novell works with packet drivers ?

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (01/02/91)

Help!  A management decree has mandated the installation of a tiny Novell
network (about 4 PCs or so) next door.  I know *nothing* about Novell,
but will need to make these PCs telnet (using NCSA) to my Unix box,
and thus will need to use the PD interface.

I have the Novell.Exe file from Clarkson but need help in determining
what kind of Novell it works with before shouting at my boss.  I gave
the Readme file from it to the chap who'll be providing the Novell
kit and he says it won't work because he's providing Novell ELS and
not Advanced due to the small size of the network, and the size of
the sum mentioned in the quotation for the job.

Can someone tell me exactly what these flavours of Novell kit are
and what I would need to buy to make the the packet driver interface work
assuming that I have *no* networking kit at all.
Is the supplier telling the truth or out of his hat ?

Remember, I know *nothing* about Novell, so I'd appreciate an answer that
makes no assumptions about *any* knowledge of Novell at all.

Thank you, and Happy New Year.
--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

ronald@robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) (01/04/91)

I wrote:

> Help!
> Can someone tell me
> what I would need to buy to make the the packet driver interface work

From a couple of answers I've had, I seem to need specific answers to
two questions:

	1) Does Novell ELS-II include the shell generation files
	   so I can generate a shell using the PDSHELL.{LAN,OBJ}
	   from Clarkson/BYU ?

	2) Can an ELS-II server OS be ECONFIG'd to use the Ethernet II
	   type packets instead of the Novell pseudo-802.3 ones ?

Can anyone help with an answer to these two questions?

Thanks in advance.

--
ronald@robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)